Homemade mayonnaise in 30 seconds

Homemade mayonnaise can be made with just 2 ingredients, in 30 seconds ~ and you have one of the great sauces in culinary history!

a spoonful of homemade mayonnaise

My 30 second mayonnaise recipe is a game changer

Just think about it—the freshest, creamiest, purest mayonnaise possible, in 30 seconds. That’s way less time than it takes to grab a jar at the supermarket and wait on the checkout line.

making mayonnaise in a mason jar

making mayonnaise the old fashioned way

I’ve made mayo from scratch before, the old fashioned way, standing by the food processor for many minutes sloooooowly drizzling the oil according to the classic method for making mayo. Actually French chefs insist on a whisk, which is even more laborious. My arm literally ached the next morning. If you’ve made your own mayonnaise the old fashioned way and loved it, you owe it to yourself to try this.

homemade mayonnaise in a jar

you’ll need an immersion blender for 30 second mayonnaise

You should have one anyway, they aren’t expensive and there’s a lot you can do with them, from pureeing soups right in the pot to making smoothies. I have to say this was the most fun I’ve had in the kitchen in a long time.

homemade mayonnaise in a jar with spoon

I’ve settled on the easiest, most foolproof way to make mayonnaise

There are lots of youtube videos demonstrating how to make this, but they are all a little different, and I went through several attempts at this before figuring it out. From my experience, it’s the egg being at room temperature that makes the difference. I made it several times, with safflower oil, and then pure olive oil. You can also make it with virgin olive oil, but it will be richer, more yellow, and have a stronger taste. That can be a plus in some recipes. You can flavor your mayonnaise with a little lemon juice and mustard, and salt, but it isn’t necessary.

making homemade mayonnaise

use pasteurized eggs for safe homemade mayonnaise

If you use pasteurized there is no risk of contamination in the finished mayo. You’ll find them in most grocery stores, right in the same section with regular eggs. Pasteurized eggs have been gently heated to a temperature that kills any harmful bacteria, without actually ‘cooking’ the eggs. Use them just as you would regular eggs.

TIP:  Did you know you can pasteurize your own eggs at home? you can easily pasteurize your own eggs at home, directions here.

pasteurized eggs for mayonnaise

more amazing 30 second sauces

homemade mayonnaise in a jar

I use my immersion blender a lot in my kitchen. I have always used it to blend soups etc. right in the pot, but I have to say that ever since I discovered how easy it is to make mayo and dressings like this, it’s become one of my most beloved tools. It’s not expensive, it’s very easy to clean because the top screws right off for rinsing, and it has a solid, heavy feel to it.

Homemade Mayonnaise in 30 seconds

30-Second Mayonnaise is the perfect storm of recipes. Just 2 ingredients, 30 seconds, and you have one of the great sauces in culinary history.
Course condiment
Prep Time 1 minute
Total Time 1 minute
Yield 1 cup
Calories 128kcal

• 1 whole egg (use pasteurized for safety at room temperature)
  • 1 cup mild oil like safflower, canola, or pure olive oil
  • 1 mason jar or other jar that is just wide enough to fit your immersion blender (I used a Kerr Wide Mouth Pint Jar)

• Make sure your egg and oil are at room temperature, this is important. Put your egg and oil in the bottom of a glass jar that fits your immersion blender. Ideally, it should be a close fit.
  • Put the immersion blender down into the cup and rest it at the bottom. Turn it on and blend, keeping it at the bottom until you start to see the mayo thicken. Then gently raise the blender head to blend the rest of the mayo. Stop the machine when you see that the entire jar has thickened. Don’t over-blend or the mayo will ‘break’. Note: If you see that the mixture turns creamy before you have raised the blender, you can stop.
  • Give it a stir and then cap the jar and store in the fridge. Eat it up within the week.

Cook’s notes

• The size of your jar matters, if it is too big, you won’t get an emulsion.  Use a jar that just fits the ingredients and your immersion blender.
  • If you have trouble getting the mayo to thicken, add another egg.
  • If you want to flavor your mayo, you can add the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of mustard. That’s the classic seasoning, but of course you can do anything you want, it’s your mayonnaise 😉

Nutrition

Serving: 1Tbsp | Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 4mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 1mg
free ebook

Amber
    January 5, 2015 at 11:43 am

I love homemade mayo! I usually use a food processor but an immersion blender would be much easier. Thanks for this!

January 5, 2015 at 11:46 am

I think the immersion blender works better, at least from my experience. I think it’s because all the blending is concentrated in the small space and the mayo just ‘blooms’ instantaneously! Enjoy Amber!

Barbara Von Aspern
    January 3, 2015 at 8:46 pm

I was wondering if you could use coconut oil? Has anyone tried that?

January 3, 2015 at 8:58 pm

That’s a great question, I’ll try it and let you know!

kea
        May 20, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Tried it with a 50/50 with coconut oil. It’s great If you like coconut, can taste it(I’m so used to it I thought it was fine) but it becomes quite solid in fridge. Good for spreading, but not good for dipping my sweet potato fries!

May 21, 2015 at 4:04 am

Great to know, thanks Kea!

vida
    June 13, 2014 at 5:07 am

Didn’t work…I guess there’s a reason why it takes all people and chefs, longer to make mayo

June 13, 2014 at 7:06 am

I’m so sorry it didn’t work for you, Vida. I’ve made it many times with great success. It is dependent on everything being ‘just so’, though. Your oil and egg need to be at room temperature, for instance I hope you give it another try!

Dolly Madison
        March 30, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Mine won’t thicken. I wonder if that’s because I used a quart jar instead of a pint.

March 30, 2015 at 7:29 pm

I’ve made it so many times, I’m not sure what went wrong with yours, Dolly. You are using an immersion blender?

Dolly Madison
          March 30, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Ahah! It was indeed the jar. Problem solved. Wonderful.

• Sue
            March 30, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Thanks for letting us know, Dolly 🙂

Mary S
    February 22, 2014 at 7:25 pm

If this isn’t the bee’s knees!! Thank you, thank you!!

Brenda
    February 22, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I love this recipe! I have made my own mayo this way for years and I was amazed that a bit of lemon juice, salt, and dry mustard makes it taste like store bought mayo! In the past I have made it with curry, garlic, and (my personal favorite) dropped in one canned chipotle pepper! So many possibilities to try!

lea
    August 28, 2013 at 8:47 am

Hi sue! Mine didn’t work…all was room temp….used farm eggs. I’ve blended now for 3 mins. No change. what coulda happened?

Foodiewife
    August 25, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I, once, tried to make my own mayo in a food processor but didn’t succeed. Aha! This looks so much easier. Of course I have an immersion blender. Love it! I can’t imagine using a jar of it within a week–unless I make my creamy coleslaw or ranch dressing. Love this!

Trista Anodei
    June 22, 2013 at 3:43 pm

About what blending speed would you recommend– somewhere in the middle? Does it make a difference?

Pink Patisserie
    June 21, 2013 at 2:34 pm

This is brilliant and fantastic! Homemade mayo is the best but I, like you got frustrated with fiddling with the processor and drizzling and etc, etc. Thank you for sharing this!

Magnolia Verandah
    June 18, 2013 at 6:45 am

Oh my goodness how simple is that! I am off to make some potato salad.

1 2 3 4 5