Micro Caprese Salad ~ I planted a cute little individual caprese salad right inside a hollowed out tomato…these are an elegant presentation for a special occasion, or a healthy little lunch for any old day.
These Micro Caprese Salads are a fun way to celebrate the month when tomatoes finally come into their own. I love this idea because the tomato stays nice and firm, and the basil stays fresh and crisp because there’s no cutting or tearing involved. And the mini pearls of mozzarella are just the cutest things on the planet.
Pick out good round ripe tomatoes that are uniform in shape so that they’ll sit nicely on a plate. Big enough to hollow out and stuff, but not too big — keep in mind that each one will become an individual serving. Most good grocery stores now carry micro greens, they will be in small plastic containers near the herbs or lettuces. Micro basil is actually basil, harvested after about 10-14 days. The flavor is exactly the same. The mini ‘pearl’ sized mozzarella is sold fresh, packed in water, in the refrigerated section.
This is the time to pull out the good extra virgin olive oil and the aged balsamic vinegar, or any other wonderful vinegar you like. They will be the only dressing on the salad, so make them special.
I love to get creative with the caprese theme…be sure to check my HEIRLOOM TOMATO CAPRESE SALAD, I made a delicious Kalamata olive vinaigrette for that one. And if you love citrus, try my CITRUS CAPRESE SALAD, I do away with the tomatoes entirely and substitute juicy citrus fruit, it’s delish.
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 1 package mini Pearl sized Bocconcini balls of fresh mozzarella
- 1 package micro basil
- extra virgin olive oil
- good aged balsamic vinegar
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Using a sharp serrated paring knife, slice off just the tops of each tomato. Hollow out the inner flesh, being careful not to cut through the skin. Take your time with this step.
- Fill each tomato with a mixture of mozzarella and basil.
- Sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked black pepper, and serve right away. Let everyone drizzle on oil and /or balsamic vinegar at the table.
Make it your own ~
- If you’re lucky enough to find colorful heirloom tomatoes, use them!
- If you can’t find micro-basil, use small basil leaves, or chop larger leaves into ribbons.
- For more creative takes on the caprese theme, check out this Caprese Stuffed Salmon, or this pretty Caprese Avocado Toast recipe.
Don’t forget to pin this Micro Caprese Salad!