Mushroom and Brie Soup is a classic creamy mushroom soup kicked up a notch with lots of luxurious Brie cheese. It’s perfect for a cozy dinner on the couch or a special first course for holiday meal.
This delicious mushroom and Brie soup was inspired by my supermarket hot bar!
The other night I was so wiped out by the end of the day that I couldn’t begin to think about dinner. My husband sweetly went out and brought home the most delicious mushroom and Brie soup from the hot bar at the supermarket (who knew?) ~ I’ve never had it before and it was a wonderful surprise. The empty take out container had barely hit the trash when I was already devising this recipe to share with you.
no cans were used in this creamy mushroom soup
Canned cream of mushroom soup is a staple so many of us grew up with…you’ll be glad to hear that this homemade creamy mushroom soup bears no resemblance whatsoever to that stuff 😉
This thick soup could double as a delicious casserole base, too, making the cans obsolete forever.
this mushroom soup starts with mushrooms, and lots of them.
About 1 1/2 pounds, to be exact. It might sound like a lot, but they cook down dramatically. I use my favorite dry roasting technique to reduce their moisture and concentrate all that wonderful flavor. Just dust them off with a clean dishtowel and trim the stem ends. Quarter them and lay them out on a dry baking sheet. Roast at 400F for about 20-30 minutes, giving them a toss every now and then. It’s truly amazing how ‘meaty’ mushrooms become when cooked this way. As mine were roasting I could swear I smelled steak cooking.
TIP: Any time a recipe calls for sauteing mushrooms you can dry roast them. It works in a dry skillet on the stove top, or in a hot oven. Make sure they are free of moisture, and don’t add any oil or butter.
ingredients for mushroom Brie soup
Besides the mushrooms, you’ll need Brie cheese, marsala wine, and fresh thyme. A good chicken broth helps, along with a little butter and cream. And with this cast of characters you can’t really go wrong.
- chicken stock
- Brie cheese
- salt and pepper
The ease of preparation belies how elegant and sophisticated this dish is.
make this soup ahead
This is one of those soups that will get better overnight, so feel free to make it ahead. When you’re ready to serve, be sure you reheat it gently.
you can never have too many comforting soup recipes
- German Potato Soup
- The Best Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Italian White Bean Soup with Sausage Meatballs
- Thai Coconut Soup
- Italian White Bean and Sausage Soup
- Broccoli Parmesan Chicken Soup
Mushroom and Brie Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds cremini mushrooms, use any variety you like
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2-3 large shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 2 cups chicken stock, or veggie stock
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, or half and half
- 6 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed, cut in chunks
- Set oven to 400F
- Brush the mushrooms with a clean dish towel to clean them, do not get them wet.
- Trim the stem ends, and then quarter the mushrooms. Put on a dry baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, tossing them a couple of times. They will lose their moisture, shrink up, and brown.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the shallots for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and saute another 5 minutes until the shallot has softened.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for a minute. Add the wine and stir to deglaze the pan.
- Add the stock, the mushrooms, and the fresh thyme, and bring up to a simmer. Turn down the heat, cover and gently simmer for about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Add the cream and the cubed Brie. Stir to melt the cheese.
- Puree the soup, in batches. Taste to adjust the seasonings, and add a bit more stock or water if it seems too thick.
- Serve with a garnish of sliced mushrooms and more fresh thyme.