HOMEMADE PUMPKIN CORNBREAD ~ this luscious pumpkin and spice quick bread is the first thing I make every fall, it’s the perfect side dish to soups, stews, and chilis. It’s a must on your Thanksgiving and holiday tables, too!
Cornbread is one of the easier things to make, which must be why it’s such a Thanksgiving day staple, you can throw it together amid all the chaos with your eyes closed. But who among us hasn’t choked on a big old chunk of the stuff? First you cough, and the little dry crumbs get caught in your throat as you gasp for air, then you try to salvage the situation by taking a big gulp of red wine and then…you know the rest. But mercifully, this recipe solves all that. That’s my HOT PEPPER HONEY being drizzled down over it. They proved to be a winning combination.
I love it when a recipe can be laid out in broad strokes, it makes it so much more approachable. This one is simply a matter of whisking the dry ingredients, whisking the wet ingredients, and mixing the two. This is another recipe that you could mix the dry and wet separately the night before and bake off the next day. Cornbread cooks quickly, so you could actually bake it while the turkey rests, and bring it to the table hot out of the oven.
This recipe is slightly adapted from Sugarcrafter.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (use cinnamon or ginger if you prefer)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or milk)
- Set the oven to 400F
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a small bowl, try to smooth out any brown sugar lumps.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together in a larger bowl. Add the dry to the wet, and mix until just combined.
- Turn into a buttered 9 inch spring form pan, (you could also use an 8×8 square pan) spreading out evenly. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you’re using the 8×8 pan, make sure the center is cooked through.
- Cool for a few minutes in the pan, then remove and serve warm.
don’t forget to pin it!