New Potato Salad with Eggs and Mustard ~ this gutsy potato salad will up your hamburger and hotdog game all spring and summer, and will quickly become your new favorite ~
I found this salad at bon appétit and I just had to make it for myself. It’s got a luxurious look to it with the big chunky eggs and the rustic mustard dressing. There are toasted mustard seeds and chopped dill pickles in there along with lots of fresh herbs…can you blame me?
I think eggs make a potato salad extra luscious. The original recipe specified that the yolks be just barely set, but mine accidentally went a little further, either way is fine. I like the effect of the big chunks of egg with the small potato halves, and I think the eggs give this salad enough protein to qualify as a lovely light supper…maybe add just a teeny piece grilled chicken or fish to go on the side…
I steamed the whole new potatoes for about 20-30 minutes until they were just tender. This is a great way to cook them for salad because they don’t get mushy and they retain all their vitamins, etc. I think it keeps them looking better, too, not so washed out. I let them cool just a little before halving them and adding some of the dressing so it would start to sink in and flavor them.
The rest is just toss and go, but I think it’s got a gutsy and interesting mix of flavors. Well worth trying. It’s a great one for entertaining and outdoor meals as there’s no mayo to spoil.
Note: Recipe slightly adapted from slightly adapted bon appetit.
- about 1 lb new potatoes (the smaller the better)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped dill pickles
- snipped fresh chives (about 2-3 Tbsp)
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup good olive oil
- pinch of salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Put the whole new potatoes in a steamer basket in a large pot over boiling water. Cook the potatoes until just tender, about 20-30 minutes., The exact time will depend on the size of your potatoes, just check to see if they are tender with the tip of a sharp knife. When they are done drain them and set aside to cool slightly.
- Boil the eggs until the yolks are just set, about 7 minutes. Drain, peel and chill.
- Put the mustard seeds in a small pan and toast over medium heat until they start to pop. Keep them moving while they toast. Once they start to pop put them into a bowl.
- Make the dressing in a small food processor. I put all the ingredients in and puree until creamy.
- Halve the warm potatoes and put them in your serving bowl. Drizzle on enough dressing to coat and toss so the potatoes can start to absorb some of the flavors.
- Toss with the parsley and season with salt and pepper. At this point i refrigerate the potatoes to get them nice and chilled.
- When ready to serve, halve or thickly slice the eggs and add them to the bowl. Toss in the pickles, chives, and mustard seed. Drizzle on a little more dressing (you might not use all of it) and enjoy!
other non-mayo salads for summer ~
I’ve got nothing against mayo, but these salads are especially suited to warm summer nights —
- MEDITERRANEAN TUNA SALAD WITH TARRAGON VINAIGRETTE
- ISRAELI CHOPPED SALAD
- CHOPPED SALAD WITH SPICY TOMATO VINAIGRETTE
Don’t forget to pin this New Potato Salad with Eggs and Mustard!