Spaghetti Salad is what you make for dinner when you’ve got loads of fresh produce but you’re craving comfy carbs (sound familiar?)…this easy season spanning recipe combines hot garlicky pasta with a refreshing tomato, garden bean, and corn salad.
Spaghetti salad marries a cool crisp veggie salad with hot pasta. It’s genius!
You’re going to thank me for this one, not only is it super delish, healthy, and family friendly, but the very idea is so appealing ~ when you combine hot pasta with a cool crisp salad the effect is wonderful. There are lots of contrasting temps, textures, and flavors going on and it brings something a little different to the table: always a good thing.
What you’ll need
As written the recipe is vegan, but feel free to add some cheese like shreds of Parm, or crumbles of feta, if you like.
- spaghetti ~ I use regular spaghetti, not thick or thin.
- green and yellow waxed beans ~ barely steamed and still snappy.
- cherry tomatoes ~ halved or quartered to release their juice.
- fresh corn kernels ~ flash cooked in the microwave then sliced from the cobs.
- red onion
- toasted pine nuts ~ toasting makes all the difference.
- extra virgin olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- fresh rosemary
- salt and (fresh cracked!) black pepper
- baby lettuce leaves (optional)
A simple red wine vinaigrette ties everything together and keeps this dish simple.
I dress the hot pasta with half of it, then the fresh veggies with the rest. If you serve it asap, you’ll get that lovely contrast of temperatures, but you can just as well serve the whole thing at room temperature, or chilled.
If I had to choose one type of meal to eat for the rest of my life it would have to be pasta…
- Pasta with Radicchio, Bacon, and Walnuts
- Kale and Pancetta Pasta with Lemon and Garlic
- Spaghetti with Peperonata with Tuna and Olives
- Wild Mushroom Pasta with Hazelnuts
- Brussels Sprout Carbonara
WANT TO TRY THIS FUN SPAGHETTI SALAD?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE SALAD BOARD SO YOU DON’T LOSE IT.
JOIN ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE CREATIVE RECIPES ~ I LOVE TO PIN !
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 lb spaghetti
- 2 cups blanched or lightly steamed green and yellow beans, cut in 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half, or quarters
- 2 ears steamed corn, kernels removed
- 1/4 small red onion, slivered
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (instructions in the notes below)
- basil leaves
- baby lettuce leaves, optional
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients, taste to adjust anything you like, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water just until al dente. Drain and immediately dress with about half of the dressing. Put the pasta in a large shallow serving bowl.
- In a separate bowl toss the beans, tomatoes, corn kernels, and onions with the other half of the dressing. Do this while the pasta is cooking.
- Spoon the salad over the pasta, and garnish with pine nuts and basil leaves. Serve immediately.
- I laid down a bed of baby lettuce underneath the spaghetti just to add to the 'salad' vibe.
- Be sure your beans and corn are just lightly steamed, you don't want them to be raw.
- As written the recipe is vegan, but feel free to add some shaved or grated Parmesan on top, or some crumbled feta if you like.
- To toast pine nuts, put them in a skillet over medium heat and stir almost constantly until they turn golden, this will happen fairly quickly. I like to use a little olive oil in the pan, which will make the process happen even faster.