Quick, easy and delicious. What more could one ask? It has become a ‘go to’ in this house. ~John
lemon spaghetti with a refreshing no cook pasta sauce
No cook pasta sauces are such a blast. The only thing you need to do is boil up some pasta, drop it dripping wet into a bowl with your sauce, and toss. Dinner doesn’t get any easier, or more delicious. This recipe is from Giada De Laurentis, who got it from a restaurant in Capri. Funny how fabulous recipes get around. The simple lemon spaghetti went on to become one of the most popular dishes in her restaurants, and ultimately the dish that defined her career.
It’s basically spaghetti tossed with fresh lemon juice, olive oil, basil, and Parmesan cheese. The sauce is raw, and all the more vibrant because of it. You don’t want to miss this one, trust me 🙂
Want another summery no-cook pasta sauce? Try my Easy Pasta Alla Checca
ingredients you (hopefully!) already have on hand
As long as you have a bowl of lemons on the counter, a pair and a spare of good olive oil in the pantry, a chunk of Parm in the cheese drawer, and plenty of fresh basil, you’ll never go hungry again.
- spaghetti ~ regular or thin
- fresh squeezed lemon juice ~ no substitute
- extra virgin olive oil ~ the more robust the better
- Parmesan cheese ~ freshly grated from a chunk
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- fresh basil ~ lots.
the no cook lemon spaghetti method
You can apply this same method to lots of different no cook pasta sauces. Whisk together the sauce while the pasta cooks and you’re done!
- Boil up a big pot of well salted water and cook spaghetti until tender. (We’re not looking for super al dente here because it will not cook further in the sauce.)
- In a large bowl whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese.
- When the pasta is done transfer it to the bowl, dripping wet (a little pasta water helps the sauce come together.)
- Toss well with shredded basil (and lemon zest if you like.)
- Serve garnished with more cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
Although this recipe is perfect as is, there are a few SIMPLE tweaks you can make to change lemon spaghetti up just enough so you can enjoy it every night of the week.
- mascarpone cheese ~ just add about 1/2 cup to the oil and lemon juice and it will melt right in as you toss your pasta. You could also do fresh ricotta.
- cream for a lightly cooked sauce
- a clove or two of minced garlic
- some halved cherry tomatoes
- steamed asparagus or broccoli
- grilled or steamed shrimp, or chicken
more uber easy dinner ideas
- Perfect Egg Tartines
- Kale and Pancetta Pasta with Lemon and Garlic
- Spaghetti Peperonata with Tuna and Olives
- Quick Chili Oil Noodles
- Asparagus Goat Cheese and Olive Frittata
- Quiche Lorraine
- Easy Pasta Alla Checca
- Easy Miso Soup Recipe
- Weeknight Mapo Tofu
- Weeknight Egg Roll Bowls
Giada’s Lemon Spaghetti
- Cook the spaghetti in lots of well salted water.
- Meanwhile whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl.
- When the pasta is cooked, transfer it with tongs to the bowl (it's ok if some of the pasta water comes with it.) Immediately toss vigorously to get all the pasta coated in the lemony olive oil mixture. Add a little more pasta water if needed. Add salt to taste, if necessary, and black pepper. Note: as you toss the spaghetti it will absorb some of the sauce.
- Add the fresh basil and give everything a last toss, and serve immediately with an extra sprinkle of cheese, lemon zest, and more fresh cracked black pepper.