Vegan Toasted Coconut Ice Cream ~ you’d never know this luscious homemade ice cream was non-dairy ~ it’s got a wonderfully creamy texture and a fabulous coco-nutty flavor!
So many foods get such a boost by roasting and toasting. Think about it… where would marshmallows, peanuts, and raw chicken be without roasting and toasting?? Plain old coconut ice cream sounds good, but toasted coconut ice cream jumps to a whole new level of deliciousness. I spread out plain shredded coconut in a skillet and within a few minutes it turned from bland to a golden crunchy delight. This ice cream has the toasted coconut folded right in, with lots leftover for dipping and sprinkling. The flavor is pure coconut because I make it with coconut milk, with a little coconut extract for good measure.
This is my first time using coconut milk as a base and I was really pleased with the results. It’s creamier and silkier than regular dairy ice cream, a little bit like gelato as far as the ‘mouth-feel’ goes. The coconut gives it lots of texture, and I was surprised that it retained its crunch even after time in the freezer. This recipe is short and sweet, and uses just one can of full fat coconut milk so you can try it out for yourself without a big investment of time or money. If you’re like me, you always have an open bag of shredded coconut hanging around.
If you decide you want an ice cream machine…
*The View from Great Island is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program ~ Your cost is no different but I earn a small commission from Amazon which helps keep tvfgi operating.
I get asked all the time about what machine I recommend, and if you do want to go the machine route, I use and recommend Cuisinart.
- The machine I use is on the left, and it’s the base model. It works great for ice cream, frozen yogurt, and sorbets, and makes all of them in about 2o minutes.
- The one on the right is a few dollars more and the main benefit to that one is that the capacity is slightly larger. You can click on either photo for more info. My ice cream machine has been one of my favorite kitchen tools over the years, it has given me and my family lots of pleasure!
- 1 can (13 1/2 oz) full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Toast the coconut by spreading it out in a thin layer in a skillet. Break up any lumps with your fingers. Set the pan over medium heat and,heat it, stirring constantly until the coconut is evenly toasted. This will take about 10 minutes. DO NOT walk away or stop stirring, it can burn easily. Set the pan aside to cool.
- Add the sugar to the coconut milk and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Stir until you no longer feel any sugar crystals. Add the extract and put in the refrigerator to chill.
- Add the coconut mixture to your ice cream maker and process according to the directions.
- When the ice cream is firm, add a 1/2 cup of the toasted coconut to the ice cream while the machine is running, and let it incorporate completely.
- Spread the ice cream in a metal loaf pan and freeze until firm.
- Serve as is or sprinkled with extra toasted coconut.
- If your ice cream has been in the freezer overnight, let it sit out on the counter to soften a bit before scooping.
Don’t forget to pin it!