Save some space on the grill for the salad! This Grilled Pineapple Salad is the perfect barbecue side dish…
Grilling makes everything better, and grilled fruit is a revelation. The natural sugars caramelize almost on contact with the heat, so you get an interesting flavor profile and super defined grill marks. I love the idea of this simple Grilled Pineapple Salad served hot, alongside burgers, steaks, ribs, whatever you’ve got going. Just throw them as you are taking everything else off and they’ll be perfect by the time you’ve got your burger in the bun. Make just enough for two, or a whole platter full for a crowd. And nothing says you can’t put one of these grilled pineapple slices ON your burger, either!
This salad provides one answer to ‘what the heck and I going to do with a whole pineapple?” Pineapples are so much better fresh, and can’t understand why it, among all the fruits, got the ‘canned’ treatment. It takes just seconds to strip the rind off of them and thickly slice the fruit into rounds. The core is edible, and even good for you, so you don’t have to remove it, especially if you’re grilling.
What You Will Need
- 1 pineapple
- feta cheese
- fresh lime wedges
- sliced jalapeno (optional)
- Cut the stem end off the pineapple and run a sharp knife down along the sides to strip off the rind. Make sure to cut off any remaining 'eyes'.
- Slice the pineapple into slices about 1/2 inch thick. You can go thicker if you like.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat until very hot, or use your outdoor grill. Put the slices on the hot grill and don't move them once you've placed them. Leave the slices for just a minute or so on each side, once they get a good char, they are done. Don't over grill them or they will be limp.
- Remove to a platter and crumble feta cheese over them, Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and a few jalapeno rings, if using. Serve right away with lime wedges on the side.
This is about the easiest thing I can think of to throw together, and it makes a spectacular presentation.