All Natural Pineapple Cough Syrup

Homemade Pineapple Cough Syrup

All natural pineapple cough syrup is easy to make and is a time honored home remedy to fight mild symptoms of colds and flu, but does it work? Let’s find out!

*Note: If you have a serious or persistent cough, see your doctor. This natural cough syrup will not take the place of prescribed medications, and is meant to be used to soothe and help alleviate symptoms. This should not be given to children under 1 year old.

pineapple cough syrup pin

homemade pineapple cough syrup ~ does it work?

I have to confess, I’m a big fat sissy when it comes to medicine. I’d much rather suffer a cough than down some of that nasty stuff they sell over the counter. I cringe just thinking about it. So when I read about the possible cough suppressing benefits of pineapple, I was all over it. But does it work? Let’s break it down.

the ingredients

• fresh pineapple ~ high in Vitamin C and the only source of bromelain, an anti-inflammatory enzyme that may help rid the body of mucus. Canned pineapple or pasteurized pineapple juice is not appropriate for this recipe.
  • fresh ginger ~ another natural anti-inflammatory agent that may help dilate bronchial tubes.
  • honey ~ a grandmother-approved throat soother and cough calmer. It’s naturally anti-bacterial.
  • lemon ~ more Vitamin C and anti-inflammatory properties.
  • cayenne ~ the capsaicin in chili peppers can reduce the urge to cough. Leave this out if using for kids.
ingredients for homemade pineapple cough remedy

separating the myths from the facts

Coughing is a natural process that actually helps the body expel mucus during colds and flu, so it’s actually a good thing! But constant coughing can take a toll on the body

While Vitamin C has many known health benefits, it appears that it does not, after all, prevent or shorten colds and flu.

Claims that pineapple suppresses cough are anecdotal and not scientifically proven, so if you have a serious cough you’ll need to seek medical attention. But if you or your loved ones are recouping at home and are bothered by mild symptoms, this is a good home remedy to try.

Families for generations have used these ingredients to treat mild cough symptoms. At the very least it is a nutritious, hydrating, and safe home remedy that can soothe your throat and may help quell a nagging cough.

This is a real godsend if you have kids who aren’t keen on yucky cough syrup, but note that this should not be given to children younger than one year old.

Take it as often as needed; it will give you a nutrition boost with each dose! It’s easy to mix up in a blender, and it will keep in the fridge for a week or more.

chopping a fresh pineapple

other potential natural cough soothers include

• peppermint tea
  • a spoonful of honey
  • apple cider vinegar with honey
  • honey tea (honey mixed with warm water)
  • clear broth or soup
  • salt water gargle
  • turmeric tea
homemade pineapple cough syrup

customize your pineapple cough remedy

The proportions in this recipe are approximate, so you can play with them to suit your taste. If you like it thicker or thinner, just adjust the amount of pineapple. You can also strain it for less pulp. Kids may not want the cayenne, and some adults might appreciate even more than I’ve added.

pouring homemade cough syrup into a jar

did I mention this pineapple cough syrup is delicious?

Even when I’m not bothered by cough I’ll sometimes make up a batch because it’s healthy and so yummy. I can blend it into a smoothie, or use it to make cocktails!

more ways to stay healthy and hydrated through flu season

healthy and all natural cough remedy!

All Natural Pineapple Cough Syrup

All natural pineapple cough syrup is easy to make and is a time honored home remedy to fight colds and flu, but does it work? Let's find out!
Course Home Remedy
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes

Equipment

• blender or food processor

• 3 slices of fresh pineapple, peel removed, but core intact. This is about 3 cups.
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper omit or reduce for children
  • a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger peeled and sliced or rough chopped
  • juice of 1 lemon

• Give the pineapple a rough chop, including the core, which is not only edible but particularly healthy.
  • Blend everything up in a blender or food processor until smooth.
  • Use as is, or push the mixture through a mesh strainer to get a smoother syrup.
  • Keep in the refrigerator and take as needed. Will keep for up to a week.

Cook’s notes

Do not give to children younger than one year old.
Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room if a cough:
  • lasts longer than 4 days
  • brings up blood or thick greenish-yellow phlegm
  • causes breathing difficulties

e book prompt

Amanda Hampshire
    December 10, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Hi sue I just finished Making this and making my husband and 1.5 year old take it too as they both have dry coughs. But how much for adult and how muchfor little ones. Thank you again.

December 10, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Hi Amanda ~ since this is a natural food product the amount to take is up to you, see what helps, and know that you can’t over-do it! Hope they feel better 🙂

Vicky Deese
    December 8, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Hi Sue, my pediatrician is now recommending pineapple juice and honey and I am so thrilled to see your recipe. His is just 2 tbsp. juice to same amount of honey and take 2 tbsp every 4 hours. Yours sounds so much better. Wondering though, does it need to be refrigerated?
    Many thanks, Vicky

December 8, 2016 at 3:45 pm

That’s so cool Vicky ~ and yes, it should be refrigerated for longer term storage, although you could leave it out all day without a problem.

Irene
    October 21, 2016 at 5:13 am

Hi,
    Do you think it would work the same if I use two cups of frozen pineapple instead ?

October 21, 2016 at 7:05 am

I believe that the raw pineapple is best, Irene, but you could certainly try it.

Cynthia
        May 13, 2017 at 7:32 am

I used frozen pineapple that I had cut and frozen myself. I think it worked wonderfully! My family and I really enjoyed the coolness of the frozen pineapple, it helped our throats! This worked with the fresh pineapple I had a few days ago and it worked with the frozen also.

May 13, 2017 at 7:38 am

I’m so glad to hear that Cynthia ~ I love the idea of the cooling effect of the frozen fruit, did you make it like a smoothie type thing?

KC
    September 21, 2016 at 9:46 am

This looks great…however for those using it for children, please remember kids under 1 year should not have raw honey!

September 21, 2016 at 10:35 am

I mention that in my notes, KC, but it can’t be said enough!

Nickoel
    September 17, 2016 at 12:37 pm

I just made this! Added turmeric instead of cayenne and a lil shot of apple cider vinegar. The kids loved it!

September 17, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Here’s to a cough-free season!

nammi
    September 6, 2016 at 11:26 pm

This is one yummu tasting cough remedy 🙂 both my boys are down with a nasty cold and cough should try to see if it works

Sherri
    February 23, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Hello:
    I am excited as I am making this for my daughter, and just wondering… Does heating it up make the active ingredients less effective?
    Sherri

February 24, 2016 at 5:49 am

I think you could heat it gently, but I wouldn’t cook it.

Judy
    February 6, 2016 at 5:52 am

Hi my husband Has a cough and refuses to go to the Dr. I read about pineapples are good for a cough but was misinformed. I gave him the pineapples from a can including the juice and of course it didn’t work. I will go shopping to try your remedy which seems to make sense to me. Thank you so much for this info.

Judy
      February 6, 2016 at 5:57 am

My husband is seventy years old, how much should I give him?

February 6, 2016 at 7:18 am

You’re welcome Judy, coughs can be so annoying and worrisome, especially when they hang around too long. Fresh pineapples will be better than the canned, but if your husband’s cough gets worse, better drag him to the doc 😉 Hope he feels better soon, and as for the dose, he can have as much as he likes.

Ana Silva
    February 4, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Hi Sue, can I use frozen chunks? I don’t have a fresh pineapple handy and my house is one big cough town!

February 4, 2016 at 6:32 pm

I think that should be fine Ana — hope everybody feels better soon <3

Sarah
    January 17, 2016 at 12:23 am

Hello 🙂 I’ve had an on/off wet and dry cough for over a werk now. I’ve tried everything, and have decided to try essential oils. But I’m going to try this first. When making it can I put the pineapple/ginger/lemon in the juicer then add the pepper and honey after?

January 17, 2016 at 7:31 am

Yes, absolutely, and hope you feel better Sarah.

1 2 3 4 5

Grab my latest e-book

for free!

Subscribe to get first dibs on all my new recipes, plus extra subscriber only benefits!

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

You have Successfully Subscribed!