All Natural Pineapple Cough Syrup

Homemade Pineapple Cough Syrup

All natural pineapple cough syrup is easy to make and is a time honored home remedy to fight mild symptoms of colds and flu, but does it work? Let’s find out!

*Note: If you have a serious or persistent cough, see your doctor. This natural cough syrup will not take the place of prescribed medications, and is meant to be used to soothe and help alleviate symptoms. This should not be given to children under 1 year old.

pineapple cough syrup pin

homemade pineapple cough syrup ~ does it work?

I have to confess, I’m a big fat sissy when it comes to medicine. I’d much rather suffer a cough than down some of that nasty stuff they sell over the counter. I cringe just thinking about it. So when I read about the possible cough suppressing benefits of pineapple, I was all over it. But does it work? Let’s break it down.

the ingredients

• fresh pineapple ~ high in Vitamin C and the only source of bromelain, an anti-inflammatory enzyme that may help rid the body of mucus. Canned pineapple or pasteurized pineapple juice is not appropriate for this recipe.
  • fresh ginger ~ another natural anti-inflammatory agent that may help dilate bronchial tubes.
  • honey ~ a grandmother-approved throat soother and cough calmer. It’s naturally anti-bacterial.
  • lemon ~ more Vitamin C and anti-inflammatory properties.
  • cayenne ~ the capsaicin in chili peppers can reduce the urge to cough. Leave this out if using for kids.
ingredients for homemade pineapple cough remedy

separating the myths from the facts

Coughing is a natural process that actually helps the body expel mucus during colds and flu, so it’s actually a good thing! But constant coughing can take a toll on the body

While Vitamin C has many known health benefits, it appears that it does not, after all, prevent or shorten colds and flu.

Claims that pineapple suppresses cough are anecdotal and not scientifically proven, so if you have a serious cough you’ll need to seek medical attention. But if you or your loved ones are recouping at home and are bothered by mild symptoms, this is a good home remedy to try.

Families for generations have used these ingredients to treat mild cough symptoms. At the very least it is a nutritious, hydrating, and safe home remedy that can soothe your throat and may help quell a nagging cough.

This is a real godsend if you have kids who aren’t keen on yucky cough syrup, but note that this should not be given to children younger than one year old.

Take it as often as needed; it will give you a nutrition boost with each dose! It’s easy to mix up in a blender, and it will keep in the fridge for a week or more.

chopping a fresh pineapple

other potential natural cough soothers include

• peppermint tea
  • a spoonful of honey
  • apple cider vinegar with honey
  • honey tea (honey mixed with warm water)
  • clear broth or soup
  • salt water gargle
  • turmeric tea
homemade pineapple cough syrup

customize your pineapple cough remedy

The proportions in this recipe are approximate, so you can play with them to suit your taste. If you like it thicker or thinner, just adjust the amount of pineapple. You can also strain it for less pulp. Kids may not want the cayenne, and some adults might appreciate even more than I’ve added.

pouring homemade cough syrup into a jar

did I mention this pineapple cough syrup is delicious?

Even when I’m not bothered by cough I’ll sometimes make up a batch because it’s healthy and so yummy. I can blend it into a smoothie, or use it to make cocktails!

more ways to stay healthy and hydrated through flu season

healthy and all natural cough remedy!

All Natural Pineapple Cough Syrup

All natural pineapple cough syrup is easy to make and is a time honored home remedy to fight colds and flu, but does it work? Let's find out!
Course Home Remedy
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes

Equipment

• blender or food processor

• 3 slices of fresh pineapple, peel removed, but core intact. This is about 3 cups.
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper omit or reduce for children
  • a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger peeled and sliced or rough chopped
  • juice of 1 lemon

• Give the pineapple a rough chop, including the core, which is not only edible but particularly healthy.
  • Blend everything up in a blender or food processor until smooth.
  • Use as is, or push the mixture through a mesh strainer to get a smoother syrup.
  • Keep in the refrigerator and take as needed. Will keep for up to a week.

Cook’s notes

Do not give to children younger than one year old.
Call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room if a cough:
  • lasts longer than 4 days
  • brings up blood or thick greenish-yellow phlegm
  • causes breathing difficulties

e book prompt

Kate
    November 24, 2018 at 5:15 pm

I knew that pineapple helps with coughs, but I didn’t know that if you blend this concoction together then you get a cough syrup. I will have to try this because I have had a cold lately and it might help.

Yolanda
    October 12, 2018 at 11:09 am

How long will this last in the fridge?

October 12, 2018 at 12:00 pm

About a week to 10 days.

RAKHI VIKRAM SARAPH
        January 9, 2019 at 7:28 am

Is it okay to have it at night before sleeping??

January 9, 2019 at 8:57 am

I use it before bed for sure.

Leaf
      November 9, 2018 at 7:26 am

I love this pineapple cough syrup!! First sign of sniffle, cough and sore throat I made this and had some and right away I could feel it working. Thanks so much for this recipe!

November 9, 2018 at 7:27 am

Yay, so happy to hear that.

Stacy
    April 11, 2018 at 2:22 pm

Do you think I could add oil of oregano?

April 11, 2018 at 4:16 pm

I’ve never used that Stacy, but if it’s food grade then I don’t see why not.

Rick
    March 9, 2018 at 9:24 am

Can you use frozen pineapples for this cough syrup?

March 9, 2018 at 9:50 am

I assume so!

Ashley
    February 8, 2018 at 10:08 am

Aww this was great I actually ate a few pineapple pieces I had in the freezer and my sore throat was instantly relieved so I made this for my toddlers and myself and it was great. Such a relief for us all. Of course I omitted the cayenne

February 8, 2018 at 10:36 am

Hope you’re all on the road to recovery Ashley <3

Doreen
    January 23, 2018 at 9:21 am

Thanks Sue for this recipe. I have been experimenting with different cough mixtures and I leave out ingredients that I don’t want. e.g. cayenne which is too hot. I use ground black pepper instead. I do however understand the benefits of using cayenne which also has healing properties. I have pineapple every day in smoothies so I am happy now to use this as the base for my new cough preparation. I was surprised to read that the bromelain is in the core. Good to know. I already use the core. I use the whole pineapple.
    I will process the pineapple and ginger but will add the pepper and honey at the end so as not to liquidise the honey. I want it thick. Thank You

January 23, 2018 at 10:40 am

You’re so welcome, and I think the black pepper will help in a similar way to the cayenne.

Kay
    January 15, 2018 at 6:44 am

After dealing with an allergy cough for the last six months I decided to try this remedy. The good news is that it really kicked my cough! The bad news is that it tore up my stomach. I did add a little extra ginger and I did not add the cayenne pepper. I used it for two days fairly regularly and also was eating some fresh pineapple as well. Maybe I just got too much. However, my grown son made some as well and he had the same results – cough gone – stomach upset. Disappointed since it really did take care of the cough.

January 15, 2018 at 6:49 am

That’s too bad, Kay. Maybe the extra pineapple was too much. It’s strange because pineapple is actually know to ease stomach upsets, and stomach pain from eating pineapple is usually from an allergy of some kind. I wonder if you and your son are sensitive to pineapple and didn’t know it?

Amanda
    December 19, 2017 at 4:28 am

Is it meant to be fiery? Just made this and it’s really hot!!!

December 19, 2017 at 7:31 am

The heat is part of its effectiveness, Amanda, but absolutely tone it down to taste.

Doreen
      January 23, 2018 at 9:00 am

I cannot use cayenne pepper as it is too hot, and I am used to eating hot food. I use black pepper instead

SHIRISH AGARWAL
    April 13, 2017 at 8:46 am

Thanks, Great recipe! I added half a teaspoon of turmeric for an anti-inflammatory boost and used 6 whole peppercorns instead of cayenne to improve absorption of curcumin.

April 13, 2017 at 9:02 am

Nice! Thanks Shirish!

Pauline
    December 11, 2016 at 8:39 am

Hi! How long does it take to cure the cough?

December 11, 2016 at 8:55 am

This isn’t a cure, Pauline, but it will ease the symptoms. It should act right away to sooth the throat and calm a cough.

1 2 3 4 5

Grab my latest e-book

for free!

Subscribe to get first dibs on all my new recipes, plus extra subscriber only benefits!

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

You have Successfully Subscribed!