My Favorite Banana Blondies recipe ~ think banana bread meets blondies, this easy dessert is rich, dense, and fudgy, with a to-die-for caramel frosting!
These Banana Blondies are as addictive as anything I’ve had in my life,
and I have to say it took me a little bit by surprise — they look so innocent! But the combination of the very dense banana cake and the very sweet caramel icing is intense. I tested the recipe on 2 consecutive days, and my self control failed miserably. I spent 48 hours in a banana blondie induced coma. Proceed with caution.
I ate these warm out of the oven…I ate them chilled from the fridge the next day…suffice it to say I’ve had them every which way and every way was amazing.
Self control issues aside, I’m so happy with this recipe, it’s reliable and easy to do. if you’re a banana lover, or just happen to know one, this is a must try. There is a ton of banana flavor packed into these slim bars, which also surprises me because I only used one banana. They are moist and dense, almost like a banana fudge, (if that thought doesn’t blow your mind.) They’re good.
If you’ve got one ripe banana, the rest of these easy bars come together from the pantry.
The frosting is a quick cooked caramel, but don’t let that scare you, that just means you melt some butter, brown sugar, and a touch of cream or milk together in a saucepan and heat it to a boil, then whisk in powdered sugar. It’s not fussy at all, but it does set up quickly, so plan to slather it on the cake right away. You can actually cut these and eat them warm, which is unusual for a frosted dessert.
Do yourself a favor….make these. ;)
Reader Rave ~
“I’ve baked many things over the years and I have to say these are some of the best. Really delicious.” ~ Shar
My Favorite Banana Blondies ~ think banana bread meets blondies, this easy dessert is rich, dense, and fudgy, with a to-die-for caramel frosting!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup well mashed banana (about 1 to 1 1/2 bananas)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cream, or milk
- 1 cup powdered (confectioner's) sugar (possibly a little bit more)
- Set the oven to 350F
- Cream the butter and sugar together for several minutes until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Mix in the mashed banana, and then the flour and salt. Mix just until everything is well blended, don't over mix.
- Spread into an 9x9 square baking dish. I like to spray the dish with baking spray and also line it with parchment paper with long ends so I can lift it out to frost and cut it easily.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the center is set. I check with a toothpick.
- Let the cake cool most of the way before you make the frosting.
- To make the caramel frosting put the butter, brown sugar and milk or cream in a small saucepan and melt the butter, whisking all the time. Continue whisking until the mixture comes to a boil, then turn off the heat and add the sifted powdered sugar, whisking until completely smooth. You may need to add a little bit more powdered sugar if it seems very thin.
- Spread it immediately onto the cake, it will set up very quickly.
Don’t forget to pin my favorite banana blondies!
More evidence of my banana obsession…