These zucchini bars with caramel frosting are the richest and most decadent in my arsenal of zucchini desserts ~ the cake is uber moist and the frosting is dense and delicious, almost like a caramel fudge!
the ultimate zucchini bars
I feel like I can move on now, confident that I’ve covered everything in the zucchini department, from pancakes and brownies to burgers, fries, crisps, casseroles, cakes, pies, and more. I’ve done well by these little green squash. But they deserve all the attention ~ they’re so easy to grow, and they’re always available. When you shred and bake them into bars like these, they add an indescribable lusciousness. If you still have zucchini left in your garden, or you just love the little guys, these bars will make you happy.
what you’ll need for decadent zucchini bars
- sugar, you’ll need granulated sugar for the bars, brown sugar, and confectioner’s sugar for the frosting.
- all purpose flour
- milk or cream
- baking soda and salt
- cinnamon and nutmeg
- vanilla extract
The frosting is omg delish
It’s an easy cook and pour deal that really makes these bars hard to resist. It’s thick and rich and turns simple zucchini bars into something unique and special. It’s actually hard to believe that milk, butter, and sugar can transform in a matter of minutes into this divine substance!
how to make hot caramel frosting
Once you see how easy it is to make this epic frosting, you’ll want to pour it over everything (I won’t stop you.)
- Combine butter, brown sugar, milk and salt in a small saucepan. Note: you can use half and half, heavy cream, or even buttermilk in place of the milk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Whisk in powdered sugar until smooth and glossy.
- Pour over your zucchini bars.
- Lick the pan clean.
the decadent side of zucchini!
This is about as decadent as zucchini will ever get, unless of course you consider my chocolate zucchini bread. The two of them bring out a side of this summer veg we don’t get to experience very often. I’m sure you’ve got plenty of zukes to spare right now, so why not take the plunge and give these a try? Believe me, they don’t disappoint!
craving more zucchini?
- Old Fashioned Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Blue Ribbon Zucchini Pie
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps
- Blueberry Zucchini Snack Cake with Lemon Buttercream
- Gluten Free Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
For the zucchini bars
- 2 large eggs
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
For the caramel frosting
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk or cream
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and butter a 9×9 baking pan. Line with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. Whisk well.
- Whisk in the baking soda, and then fold in the flour until no pockets of dry ingredients remain.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini and the chopped pecans.
- Spread the batter into your prepared baking pan and bake for about 35-45 minutes until risen.
- Allow the cake to partially cool while you make the frosting. I like to pour the frosting on the cake while it's still a bit warm for easier spreading.
For the frosting
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, milk, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. When it beings to boil, remove it from the heat.
- Whisk in the powdered sugar until the frosting is smooth, and pour it over the cake. Note: spread it quickly, the frosting begins to set almost immediately.
- I like to allow the frosting to cool before slicing into bars.