Cheesy Zucchini Casserole is a comfort food classic made with garden fresh zucchini, plenty of cheese, and a buttery crisp cracker topping. This is one zucchini recipe nobody turns down.
This is simple, homey, and so delicious, just like a good casserole should be. And it goes without saying it’s a sure fire way to get your kids to eat their zucchini. The ingredient list is short and pantry friendly, too.
what you’ll need:
mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip!)
Panko bread crumbs
I just lightly steam the zucchini in the microwave before folding it into the other ingredients. It takes the raw edge off and allows it to cook to a perfectly tender state in the oven.
Ritz crackers make the best crumbs!
I’ve used then before to top mac and cheese, my chicken poppy seed casserole, and my zucchini pie. They’re buttery, salty, and crunchy. Sometimes I’ll throw in some panko crumbs for an extra crunch factor. Panko are Japanese breadcrumbs made to keep their fabulous crunchy texture even after baking.
Can you slice or shred the zucchini?
- I don’t recommend shredding because it will become mushy, but you could slice the zucchini into rounds.
Can you make this without mayo?
- The mayo holds the casserole together and I think it’s necessary for flavor and texture. You might try using evaporated milk and an extra egg.
Can you make this even lower carb?
- Leave out the flour, and leave off the crumb topping; then add more shredded cheese to the top before baking.
Can you make this casserole ahead of time
- You can assemble the casserole and refrigerate for up to a day, but don’t add the crumb topping until just before baking. Let the casserole come to room temp before baking.
What can you add to this casserole
- Add some fresh corn kernels, or yellow summer squash in place of some of the zucchini.
- Add thinly sliced sweet onion, no need to pre cook or steam.
- Spice it up with a few dashes of hot sauce, red pepper flakes, or jalapeño peppers.
- Add cooked rice or quinoa.
- Add fresh herbs like thyme or dried herbs like an Italian mix, or French herbes de Provence.
- Make it a meal with some shredded rotisserie chicken or crumbled sausage folded right in.
What to serve with cheesy zucchini casserole
This classic side will be at home with most meals, including Thanksgiving and winter holiday meals.
More mouthwatering casseroles
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Butter Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole
- Green Bean Casserole
- Butter Pecan Pumpkin Casserole
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- 2 large zucchini , trimmed and cut into 1 inch dice (this will be about 4-5 cups)
- 1 cup mayonnaise, (not Miracle Whip)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese , (white or yellow)
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
- 2 Tbsp Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 1 1/2 quart gratin or casserole dish.
- Put the diced zucchini in a large microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for about 4-5 minutes, stirring to rearrange the zucchini twice during cooking. Drain the zucchini in a mesh strainer to remove any excess moisture and set aside.
- Toss the topping ingredients together in a small bowl, mixing until the butter is evenly dispersed and everything is evenly mixed. Set aside.
- Whisk together the remaining casserole ingredients to combine well.
- Fold in the zucchini and turn into your prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the casserole and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling and the topping is golden. Serve immediately.
Questions and Reviews
Made this tonight and thought it was very good. I think I could have added more or larger zucchini. I might also try with yellow squash mixed in. Thanks for the recipe.
Sue, could the zucchini be prepped in another way other than the microwave? Ours isn’t working.
Sure, you could either blanch it in boiling water for just about 30 seconds, or even give it a quick sauté. Just don’t cook it too long, you only want to take the raw edge off and remove a bit of the moisture.
This was delicious! I had it as my main course over rice and my family also had roast chicken and gravy with it. I love the contrast of the crunchy topping to the creamy base. Thank you for a great recipe!
This is great!!! Made it tonight and could of eaten it all myself. Will try freezing leftovers just to see how it holds up! Only thing I will add next time I make this is touch of nutmeg and some hot sauce.
Why can’t I use Miracle Whip for this recipe?
Can I use Light Mayonnaise if not Miracle Whip?
I was joking Cherie, you can use it if you prefer ~ I just think the flavor of Miracle Whip is a little intense 😉
Not really casserole season and definitely not turning on the oven as we are in the middle of record setting heat wave here in California with temps. of 105-110 degrees with overnight lows 75-80.Could this work in my gas grill using 12″ cast iron skillet?Thanks.
It should work if you can modulate the heat fairly evenly.
I’m thinking of trying this with eggplant. I received a large one and DONT have any zucchini.
Interesting idea, I would slice and roast the eggplant first.
It sounds and looks delicious. I must try it. I bet a little broccoli fleurettes would maybe be a nice addition.
As soon as I make it, I will give it a rating, likely 5 stars !!!