Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas

chocolate covered frozen bananas, copy cat Trader Joe's Gone Bananas on parchment paper

Chocolate covered frozen bananas are a copycat version of Trader Joe’s famous ‘Gone Bananas’. It’s one of the simplest (and healthiest) desserts you’ll ever eat!

chocolate covered frozen banana bites, with bananas

dark chocolate covered frozen banana bites are irresistible

They’re my even better version of Trader Joe’s frozen treats. The last time I was at my sister’s she brought out a box and it didn’t even make it all the way around the table before it was emptied. That’s like throwing down the gauntlet to a food blogger. Why buy something in frustratingly small boxes when you can easily make them yourself?

frozen bananas have the texture of ice cream!

Crazy, but true ~ the frozen banana tastes just like ice cream, and the chocolate shell just adds to the delicious illusion. Since you’re making them yourself you can use your favorite chocolate. I like dark, but milk or white works too. The magic is in the coconut oil, which, when melted with the chocolate, makes a coating that hardens instantly on contact with the cold banana. It’s exactly like magic shell chocolate sauce that you pour over ice cream. Same principle.

Dipping frozen bananas into chocolate

what you’ll need

• bananas ~ I like to use firm bananas, not overly soft and ripe.
  • chocolate, either good quality chips, or bar chocolate, chopped.
  • refined coconut oil ~ this helps the chocolate coating harden to a shell. Look for refined, not virgin, which has a stronger coconut flavor. Nothing against coconut, but I definitely don’t want it interfering with the rich dark chocolate flavor.

making Trader Joe's Gone Bananas

how to store your frozen bananas

You’ll want to keep these frozen at all times: at room temp they’ll turn into little melted blobs. I like to stack them in a freezer safe container with sheets of waxed paper between the layers to prevent sticking. Take them out just when you’re ready to devour them!

how long will they last?

Plan to enjoy them within a week, but probably you’ll eat them all in one go, that’s what happens here.

more healthy-ish chocolate treats!

glossy chocolate covered frozen bananas

variation ideas for copycat Gone Bananas

• Top the coated banana slices with crushed nuts, coconut, or sprinkles before the chocolate hardens. You’ll need to sprinkle immediately after dipping as the chocolate starts to set up right away.
  • Spread a dab of peanut butter or almond butter over the frozen bananas before coating them in chocolate.
  • Make full sized dipped bananas; simply slip a popsicle stick into the banana before freezing, then after it has frozen, dip into the chocolate.
  • You can do this with other types of chocolate or baking chips.

Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas

Chocolate covered frozen bananas are a copycat version of Trader Joe's Gone Bananas. It's one of the simplest (and healthiest) desserts you'll ever eat!
Course Dessert
Prep Time 15 minutes
chilling 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 15 minutes
Yield 2 dozen +
Calories 68kcal

• 2 ripe firm bananas
  • 12 ounces dark chocolate chips or semi sweet bar chocolate, cut in small pieces
  • 4 Tbsp refined coconut oil Note: this is a solid oil that comes in a jar.

• Slice the banana and place the slices on a tray lined with parchment or waxed paper to prevent sticking. Put the tray in the freezer until the bananas are frozen solid. About 2 hours.
    sliced bananas on a try ready to freeze
  • Meanwhile place the chocolate chips and the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup. Microwave for 60 seconds and then stir. Continue stirring until the chocolate is melted and the sauce is glossy. If necessary, microwave for another 15 seconds and stir again, until all the chocolate is melted and smooth. Don't over heat. Set the chocolate aside to cool.
    ingredients for Magic Shell chocolate ice cream sauce
  • When the bananas are frozen, dip them into the cooled chocolate and coat on all sides. I like set the slices on a fork and then use a spoon to help drizzle the chocolate all over. Let any excess chocolate drip off before setting the slice down on a parchment or waxed paper lined tray (it can be the same one.) Put the coated slices back in the freezer right away to harden.
    Dipping frozen bananas into chocolate
  • Once the bites are hardened you can transfer them to a freezer safe storage container or zip lock freezer bag.
    melted dipping chocolate for sliced bananas
  • Plan to enjoy your banana bites within a week.

Cook’s notes

You will not use all the chocolate, it’s necessary to have extra for ease of dipping. If your chocolate starts to thicken as you dip the bananas, just re-heat briefly in the microwave to thin it down. Be sure to let it cool before continuing.
This recipe was first published in 2014, and has been updated and rephotographed in 2022.

Nutrition

Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.002g | Cholesterol: 0.2mg | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 82mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 8IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg
frozen bananas pin

easy recipes in urdu
    February 28, 2018 at 3:41 am

I love to use strawberry instead of bananas.

February 29, 2020 at 9:07 am

Fabulous idea, but keep in mind that strawberries have more water content than bananas, and when they freeze they get icy.

Megan
    January 2, 2018 at 2:21 pm

Love these! I decided to try and make the chocolate on the stove today for a mass batch. I doubled the recipe as well. Worked great! I warmed the chocolate and coconut oil on low, then turned it off when it was all melted. I was able to make 5 bananas worth of slices without worrying about the chocolate hardening too soon. I had that happen with the microwave way the first two times I made them. Hopefully these ones will last at least a week between four of us!

Donnamarie
      April 29, 2022 at 4:26 pm

I don’t freeze my strawberries I just wash them
      And put in fridge to thoroughly dry then dip. I use a cocktail pick for easy handling but it’s
      Not necessary. Why didn’t think of bananas I love those TJ banana bites.

Misty Hagen
    December 8, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Has anyone used bacon slices on the bannanas before dipping them in chocolate? I would imagine blueberries would also taste devine coated in this chocolate as well.

December 8, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Oh gosh Misty, I like the way you think!

Rick
        January 30, 2018 at 4:37 pm

When i first seen this fist thing i thought was where’s the peanut butter. Just a smear on top or coat the whole banana then the chocolate.

January 30, 2018 at 5:26 pm

I like the way you think, too, Rick 🙂

Michelle Torres
    October 27, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Hi, may I use coconut milk instead of coconut oil?

October 27, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Not really Michelle, but you can leave the coconut oil out entirely, or use any other mild vegetable oil. The purpose is just to help the chocolate melt, but you can’t add anything that contains water to chocolate or it will ‘seize’ up into a solid mass.

TMC
    October 13, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Somebody sent me a pic of themselves eating the Trader Joes version & told me they were addicted so I thought”oh I can make those” I looked up the recipe and found yours. I tried it and they came out awesome! Now I’m addicted too. I did some plain, some with toasted coconut and some with almonds. They were all delish! I did two bananas and doubled the chocolate but I had a lot of chocolate left over. I’ll probably do 1 1/2 times on the chocolate next time.

October 13, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Love the toasted coconut and almonds!

Sherri
    September 30, 2017 at 8:47 am

These are so addictingly delicious! I used 5 bananas thinking I can freeze some for snacks. The kids and I devoured them. Thanks for posting the recipe. It’s a great healthy snack for my family.

September 30, 2017 at 8:55 am

I’m so glad this worked out so well for you and your family Sherri 🙂

Virginia Graves
    September 19, 2016 at 1:50 pm

I love reading the comments as we all can put in more ideas. this sounds so good. I plan on making them for halloween party for kids. I think they will love them. Thanks for other ideas too. must try them all..

September 19, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Thanks Virginia, let us know how it works for the kids!

Carmella
    August 24, 2016 at 7:06 am

Should the bananas not be overripe? I have three pretty brown ripe bananas

August 24, 2016 at 7:08 am

You can use them, Carmella, but I think less soft bananas will slice better. The flavor should be good!

darlene taylor
      August 4, 2018 at 3:06 pm

My mom would put a popsicle stick in the whole over-ripe bananas, freeze, coat, freeze. We loved them.

August 4, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Delish!

Jules @ WolfItDown
    August 17, 2016 at 1:14 pm

MMMmm! Perfect bite sized treats! I tend to use coconut oil to sort of “temper” the chocolate too, it works a treat 😀 x

Mary Lou Kelp
    July 23, 2016 at 6:15 pm

My husband wants me to make the Chocolate Eclair Cake, but for some reason, I can’t pull it up. Can you send it to me? My E-mail address is : [email protected].

Mary Lou Kelp