Chocolate covered frozen bananas are a copycat version of Trader Joe’s famous ‘Gone Bananas’. It’s one of the simplest (and healthiest) desserts you’ll ever eat!
dark chocolate covered frozen banana bites are irresistible
They’re my even better version of Trader Joe’s frozen treats. The last time I was at my sister’s she brought out a box and it didn’t even make it all the way around the table before it was emptied. That’s like throwing down the gauntlet to a food blogger. Why buy something in frustratingly small boxes when you can easily make them yourself?
frozen bananas have the texture of ice cream!
Crazy, but true ~ the frozen banana tastes just like ice cream, and the chocolate shell just adds to the delicious illusion. Since you’re making them yourself you can use your favorite chocolate. I like dark, but milk or white works too. The magic is in the coconut oil, which, when melted with the chocolate, makes a coating that hardens instantly on contact with the cold banana. It’s exactly like magic shell chocolate sauce that you pour over ice cream. Same principle.
what you’ll need
- bananas ~ I like to use firm bananas, not overly soft and ripe.
- chocolate, either good quality chips, or bar chocolate, chopped.
- refined coconut oil ~ this helps the chocolate coating harden to a shell. Look for refined, not virgin, which has a stronger coconut flavor. Nothing against coconut, but I definitely don’t want it interfering with the rich dark chocolate flavor.
how to store your frozen bananas
You’ll want to keep these frozen at all times: at room temp they’ll turn into little melted blobs. I like to stack them in a freezer safe container with sheets of waxed paper between the layers to prevent sticking. Take them out just when you’re ready to devour them!
how long will they last?
Plan to enjoy them within a week, but probably you’ll eat them all in one go, that’s what happens here.
more healthy-ish chocolate treats!
- Dark Chocolate Mendiants
- Easy Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- Chocolate Hazelnut Milk
- Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
- Dark Chocolate Dipped Apricots
- Detox Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
variation ideas for copycat Gone Bananas
- Top the coated banana slices with crushed nuts, coconut, or sprinkles before the chocolate hardens. You’ll need to sprinkle immediately after dipping as the chocolate starts to set up right away.
- Spread a dab of peanut butter or almond butter over the frozen bananas before coating them in chocolate.
- Make full sized dipped bananas; simply slip a popsicle stick into the banana before freezing, then after it has frozen, dip into the chocolate.
- You can do this with other types of chocolate or baking chips.
Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas
- 2 ripe firm bananas
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips or semi sweet bar chocolate, cut in small pieces
- 4 Tbsp refined coconut oil Note: this is a solid oil that comes in a jar.
- Slice the banana and place the slices on a tray lined with parchment or waxed paper to prevent sticking. Put the tray in the freezer until the bananas are frozen solid. About 2 hours.
- Meanwhile place the chocolate chips and the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup. Microwave for 60 seconds and then stir. Continue stirring until the chocolate is melted and the sauce is glossy. If necessary, microwave for another 15 seconds and stir again, until all the chocolate is melted and smooth. Don't over heat. Set the chocolate aside to cool.
- When the bananas are frozen, dip them into the cooled chocolate and coat on all sides. I like set the slices on a fork and then use a spoon to help drizzle the chocolate all over. Let any excess chocolate drip off before setting the slice down on a parchment or waxed paper lined tray (it can be the same one.) Put the coated slices back in the freezer right away to harden.
- Once the bites are hardened you can transfer them to a freezer safe storage container or zip lock freezer bag.
- Plan to enjoy your banana bites within a week.
Questions and Reviews
Hello what is the serving size for the 68 cal
It’s for one banana bite. The count is probably lower in reality because you will not use the full amount of chocolate.
My kids love these chocolate banana bites! They make a great after school snack!
What a great idea. These will be great at a dinner party and they look so easy to make too.
Great little treats to make in summer! My husband keeps sneaking out to the freezer in the garage to get some all the time 😀
My kids loved these. Such a healthy snack.
I love these! Walk past the freezer and just pop on in my mouth ha! My kiddos love them too Thank you!