Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas

chocolate covered frozen bananas, copy cat Trader Joe's Gone Bananas on parchment paper

Chocolate covered frozen bananas are a copycat version of Trader Joe’s famous ‘Gone Bananas’. It’s one of the simplest (and healthiest) desserts you’ll ever eat!

chocolate covered frozen banana bites, with bananas

dark chocolate covered frozen banana bites are irresistible

They’re my even better version of Trader Joe’s frozen treats. The last time I was at my sister’s she brought out a box and it didn’t even make it all the way around the table before it was emptied. That’s like throwing down the gauntlet to a food blogger. Why buy something in frustratingly small boxes when you can easily make them yourself?

frozen bananas have the texture of ice cream!

Crazy, but true ~ the frozen banana tastes just like ice cream, and the chocolate shell just adds to the delicious illusion. Since you’re making them yourself you can use your favorite chocolate. I like dark, but milk or white works too. The magic is in the coconut oil, which, when melted with the chocolate, makes a coating that hardens instantly on contact with the cold banana. It’s exactly like magic shell chocolate sauce that you pour over ice cream. Same principle.

Dipping frozen bananas into chocolate

what you’ll need

• bananas ~ I like to use firm bananas, not overly soft and ripe.
  • chocolate, either good quality chips, or bar chocolate, chopped.
  • refined coconut oil ~ this helps the chocolate coating harden to a shell. Look for refined, not virgin, which has a stronger coconut flavor. Nothing against coconut, but I definitely don’t want it interfering with the rich dark chocolate flavor.

making Trader Joe's Gone Bananas

how to store your frozen bananas

You’ll want to keep these frozen at all times: at room temp they’ll turn into little melted blobs. I like to stack them in a freezer safe container with sheets of waxed paper between the layers to prevent sticking. Take them out just when you’re ready to devour them!

how long will they last?

Plan to enjoy them within a week, but probably you’ll eat them all in one go, that’s what happens here.

more healthy-ish chocolate treats!

glossy chocolate covered frozen bananas

variation ideas for copycat Gone Bananas

• Top the coated banana slices with crushed nuts, coconut, or sprinkles before the chocolate hardens. You’ll need to sprinkle immediately after dipping as the chocolate starts to set up right away.
  • Spread a dab of peanut butter or almond butter over the frozen bananas before coating them in chocolate.
  • Make full sized dipped bananas; simply slip a popsicle stick into the banana before freezing, then after it has frozen, dip into the chocolate.
  • You can do this with other types of chocolate or baking chips.

Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas

Chocolate covered frozen bananas are a copycat version of Trader Joe's Gone Bananas. It's one of the simplest (and healthiest) desserts you'll ever eat!
Course Dessert
Prep Time 15 minutes
chilling 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 15 minutes
Yield 2 dozen +
Calories 68kcal

• 2 ripe firm bananas
  • 12 ounces dark chocolate chips or semi sweet bar chocolate, cut in small pieces
  • 4 Tbsp refined coconut oil Note: this is a solid oil that comes in a jar.

• Slice the banana and place the slices on a tray lined with parchment or waxed paper to prevent sticking. Put the tray in the freezer until the bananas are frozen solid. About 2 hours.
    sliced bananas on a try ready to freeze
  • Meanwhile place the chocolate chips and the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup. Microwave for 60 seconds and then stir. Continue stirring until the chocolate is melted and the sauce is glossy. If necessary, microwave for another 15 seconds and stir again, until all the chocolate is melted and smooth. Don't over heat. Set the chocolate aside to cool.
    ingredients for Magic Shell chocolate ice cream sauce
  • When the bananas are frozen, dip them into the cooled chocolate and coat on all sides. I like set the slices on a fork and then use a spoon to help drizzle the chocolate all over. Let any excess chocolate drip off before setting the slice down on a parchment or waxed paper lined tray (it can be the same one.) Put the coated slices back in the freezer right away to harden.
    Dipping frozen bananas into chocolate
  • Once the bites are hardened you can transfer them to a freezer safe storage container or zip lock freezer bag.
    melted dipping chocolate for sliced bananas
  • Plan to enjoy your banana bites within a week.

Cook’s notes

You will not use all the chocolate, it’s necessary to have extra for ease of dipping. If your chocolate starts to thicken as you dip the bananas, just re-heat briefly in the microwave to thin it down. Be sure to let it cool before continuing.
This recipe was first published in 2014, and has been updated and rephotographed in 2022.

Nutrition

Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.002g | Cholesterol: 0.2mg | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 82mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 8IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg
frozen bananas pin

Tabitha
    June 21, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Do you know calories and serving size? These are very delicious.. And I will like this as a healthy/ naughty snack.. Lol..
    I have made these few times already.. And everyone loved them..

June 22, 2016 at 8:29 am

I don’t know the calories offhand, Tabitha, but I think they are a healthy snack, and I’d say about 4 would be a serving size.

Stephanie Reedy
        June 28, 2016 at 7:08 pm

I Think these are something that look very good to snack on. Easy to make and fun to eat.

Matt
      August 12, 2016 at 7:41 am

Tabitha – the calories are going to be the sum of the calories in a banana, the calories in a cup of the chocolate that you are using, and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. If you are looking for calories per banana slice, then just divide your total by how many slices you came out with per banana.

Mine came out to:
      Banana – 105 calories
      2 tbsp coconut oil – 240 calories
      ~ 1 cup 62% cacao dark chocolate chunks – 1,120 calories
      Total: 1,465 calories

If you came out with 20 slices per banana, that makes each slice about 73 calories. That seems high to me! Also, since (by my calculation) about 60% of the calories are coming from fat, I wouldn’t call these a “healthy” snack. Although they are non-dairy and probably healthier than just ice cream! Also, since I’m being thorough, the Trader Joe’s version, Gone Bananas, has 130 calories for 4 slices, or 32.5 calories per slice. They must be using low-fat chocolate!

Jessica
        April 27, 2017 at 8:43 am

I will say that when I’ve made these I have used 2-3 bananas and much less chocolate chunks. you really can stretch out the amount of chocolate per piece.

Kathy
    May 16, 2016 at 9:44 am

These are much better than the Trader Joe ones.

May 16, 2016 at 10:17 am

Thanks Kathy, I think that’s because we use better chocolate making it ourselves than any mass produced product does.

Lisa
    May 3, 2016 at 6:56 pm

I make these and roll them in organic unsweetened shredded coconut after dipping them in the chocolate.

May 3, 2016 at 8:16 pm

I like that!

Julie
      July 8, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Uhh… I was going to make these as-is for a retro Tiki party I’m throwing, but now I think I’ll do the coconut trick, to half of them anyway! Awesome!

July 8, 2016 at 3:17 pm

You could put them on popsicle or lollipop sticks, too Julie.

Pelican
    April 21, 2016 at 7:12 pm

For young children: slice the banana, lay on cookie sheet, poke a chocolate chip in the middle, and freeze. We put four in a small plastic bag and keep in the freezer. Helps with self control, a little bit.

Brittany
    April 11, 2016 at 8:29 am

Hi there! Any advice on how to get added into the “All about “Food” group board? Came across your pin on there and it looks AMAZING!

April 11, 2016 at 8:30 am

Hi Brittany — I’m not an admin on that board, so I don’t know. Check with the very first person listed on the board, that will be the owner. Good luck, and thanks for stopping by 🙂

Ashley
    April 3, 2016 at 4:40 pm

These were awesome and so simple! My chocolate took a lot longer to melt in the microwave – about a minute stopping every 30 seconds to stir. I cheated and did not freeze the bananas first. Still worked.

I made two bananas with the chocolate and still had a bunch left over. So I spread it on a silicone sheet and pressed some dried fruit, nuts, and puffed millet in it for an additional chocolatey goodness snack. Had to pop it in the freezer to get it to harden, and then kept the finished goodness in the freezer. Yum.

April 5, 2016 at 11:26 am

Glad you had some fun with this Ashley!

Mrs. Medeiros
    March 22, 2016 at 10:32 am

Any idea how long these will stay fresh in the freezer? Thinking about making a bunch to keep and have on hand for a healthy grab and go snack. Thanks!

March 22, 2016 at 12:04 pm

I think the banana would start to degrade fairly quickly, but that’s just my guess…they’ve never lasted long here, so I don’t know 🙂

Tiffany
    March 14, 2016 at 9:44 am

Thank you for this.! It is delicious.!

ray
    February 15, 2016 at 5:31 pm

hi! can you add peanut butter to the chocolate?

February 15, 2016 at 6:01 pm

The best way to add peanut butter is to spread a layer on top of the frozen banana, then refreeze until firm, and then dip! I don’t think the chocolate will harden properly if you try to mix peanut butter into the chocolate coating.

Erin J
        March 21, 2016 at 11:42 am

We make these all the time with peanut butter! What has worked the best for us is to pipe the peanut butter on top of the banana slices with a piping/frosting bag. Then freeze before dipping in the chocolate!

March 21, 2016 at 11:55 am

Sounds yummy!

mary evans
        March 31, 2016 at 7:17 pm

you can sprinkle with peanuts!
        I actually use a half banana with a popsicle stik in it, freeze that, then dip in chocolate then peanuts, freeze 2 hrs.

Alice lim
    January 2, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Hi Sue, Is this recipe lastose free if using dark chocolate?

Alejandro N.
      October 31, 2016 at 8:40 am

Not all dark chocolate is dairy free or lactose free, be sure to look for one that is specifically labeled as such.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7