Guava Sorbet

Ultra simple Guava Sorbet is a healthy way to end a meal, and so pretty! | theviewfromgreatisland

Dessert doesn’t get any healthier or more refreshing than this tropical Guava Sorbet. Make it in 20 minutes, using just ONE INGREDIENT!

Easy One Ingredient Guava Sorbet is the perfect end to a summer meal, it's healthy, low calorie, and has no added sugar | theviewfromgreatisland.com

Guava is one of those fruits we don’t see very often in this country and it’s a real shame because it has a unique, sensual scent and flavor that immediately whisks you away to another world. Here in California I see them in the farmers markets in the late spring and summer, and I grab them whenever I can. They have tons of pectin, and the next time I get a big enough bagful I’ll make you some guava butter. But even if you don’t live in a state where guava grows, you can still experience it with this ultra simple sorbet because it’s made with just one ingredient, guava nectar,.

one ingredient guava sorbet is a refreshing and healthy dessert

You might not realize it but you can make wonderful sorbets from just about any kind of fruit juice, and it doesn’t have to be fresh, either, canned works just fine. You can find guava nectar in almost every grocery store, look for it with the other canned juices. If you keep a few cans in your cupboard you can whip this up as a last minute dessert. You do need an ice cream machine, but honestly, they aren’t very expensive and they are SO worth it. I’ve had my basic Cuisinart model for years and it serves me well. I think it was something like $49. SO WORTH IT ๐Ÿ™‚ย  I look forward to pulling it out from the back of my cupboard every year.

Guava Sorbet is a healthy, low calorie, fat free dessert just perfect for spring and summer evenings!

Guava Sorbet

• 2 11.5 ounce cans Kerns guava nectar

• For best results, start with chilled guava nectar. When the nectar is cold, simply plug in your ice cream machine and turn it on. Pour the juice in and let the machine do its thing. Mine takes less than 20 minutes...
  • Spoon the sorbet into a chilled loaf pan or other container and put in the freezer until ready to serve.

notes:

• This would be really nice with berries or other fresh fruit like kiwi.
  • You might want to make an after dinner ‘float’ — just add the sorbet to a glass and fill with chilled sparkling wine.
  • If you like you can add 2 Tbsp vodka or other alcohol (dark rum would be nice) to the juice before churning. The alcohol will make the sorbet more ‘scoopable’ after it has been in the freezer for a while.

Don’t lose it — pin it!

One ingreient is all it takes to make this fabulously refreshing dessert!

Boastful Food
    May 13, 2016 at 2:37 pm

I just saw some guava fruits at my local market! This sounds so perfect and refreshing for a warm summer day. Don’t have an ice cream maker but wonder if I could just turn it into a granita or ice? Thanks for the inspiration:)

May 13, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Yes, I should have mentioned that, you can definitely make it into a granita, just freeze it in the container and keep ‘forking’ it until it’s the right texture…

Lisa @garlicandzest.com
    May 13, 2016 at 12:56 pm

I actually have guava nectar in the pantry right now! My Mom also has a guava tree — which should be producing fruit by August!!! YAY!

May 13, 2016 at 1:11 pm

You are SET girl!

munchies and munchkins
    May 13, 2016 at 12:55 pm

I love sorbets and this one sounds incredible and its such a pretty colour too so would make a lovely finishing touch to a meal. My youngest is dairy free so we make sorbet a lot, shall have to try your recipe!

Diane M.
    May 13, 2016 at 12:02 pm

This looks so beautiful, that color is great! Have you ever tried Strawberry guava? Have not found any here in Texas but, used to pick them when we lived in Hawaii. They are so yummy!

May 13, 2016 at 12:07 pm

I haven’t, and I’m dying to try one. I’ve gotten the white variety before and don’t care for it, but I’ll have to track down the strawberry guava, maybe one of my farmers markets will carry them…

Derek @ Dad With A Pan
    May 13, 2016 at 12:01 pm

This makes me want a machine to make sorbets now! Thanks for sharing!

May 13, 2016 at 12:13 pm

My ice cream machine is one of the best 50 bucks I’ve ever spent, Derek — and I bet there are some kids who would be pretty happy if you got one ๐Ÿ˜‰

Willow | Will Cook For Friends
    May 13, 2016 at 11:51 am

You are so right — such a shame we don’t get more guavas! I almost never see them here in the mid-west. However, now that I know guava nectar is a thing, I’m going to be on the lookout for some. Homemade sorbets are one of my all time favorite things in the summer (yay, ice cream machine!!!), and I’ve been trying to come up with new flavors to try. Guava, here I come!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert
    May 13, 2016 at 10:55 am

Boy this looks refreshing. Love the color, the texture and how easy it is to make! You’ve come up with another winner – thanks for the inspiration. Now there’s no excuse to skip dessert ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a wonderful weekend.

Chris Scheuer
    May 13, 2016 at 10:16 am

Genius idea to use the guava nectar. I love it! I also love the beautiful color and the fact that there’s no sugar.

May 13, 2016 at 10:40 am

I’ve done a lot of this kind of sorbet, using just juice, and it works great. You can mix them up, too!

Tracy | Baking Mischief
    May 13, 2016 at 10:06 am

Oh wow, I love this! It’s such a perfect pink color too without any weird coloring added. I’ve never made sorbet with straight fruit juice before. I’m totally going to try it when I get my ice cream maker out this year

May 13, 2016 at 10:14 am

I think guava has one of the prettiest colors!

Catherine
    May 13, 2016 at 9:53 am

Love making these great desserts this time of year. Healthy and delicious!!
    Have a wonderful weekend. xo

May 13, 2016 at 12:40 pm