My Homemade Boursin Cheese recipe is easy to do, and the flavor is spot on. This copy cat garlic and herb creamy cheese will save you SO MUCH money! Don’t lose track of this do-it-yourself Gourney cheese, it’s perfect for any occasion.
I recently posted all about How to Dry Herbs in the Microwave, it’s one of my favorite new kitchen hacks.
The microwave does a perfect job of preserving the color and flavor of herbs, and dries them almost instantly. I promised you a homemade Boursin cheese recipe using those same herbs, and I’m so excited to share this with you, it’s phenomenal. The combination of fresh garlic, mixed herbs, and fluffy cream cheese is so good, you won’t be able to stop eating it. Better invite some friends over. In fact this is ideal for entertaining because Boursin is special enough to stand on its own, just add crackers and you’ve got a party.
My small food processor works perfectly for this job, but as long as you mince the garlic fine enough, you can definitely do it by hand. You’re going to need whipped cream cheese, a clove of garlic, and and assortment of dried herbs for this recipe.
TIP: Using good fresh dried herbs is important because they’re going to take center stage in this cheese. My microwave method for drying fresh herbs works great, and when you do it yourself, you get the biggest bang for your buck.
Pack it into a jar after everything is mixed, and let it ‘age’ for 24 hours in the fridge to allow the flavors to develop and permeate the cheese. It’s now ready to spread on crackers, burgers, sandwiches, etc.
TIP: Homemade Boursin cheese is a great idea for a host gift. Pack it into a cute Weck jar and bring it with the recipe attached.
The classic Boursin cheese includes just parsley and chives, but I think the more the merrier. A larger mix of herbs gives my cheese a more robust, herbier flavor, I think you’re going to love it…
P.S. I got many questions about the brand of cracker I used in the photos…they are Lesley Stowe Rainforest Crisps.
Reader Rave ~
“Just made this and it is delicious. I put some on a cracker and asked my husband what he thought it was – he got it on the first bite. Took some over to his mom and she said the same thing. Thank you for a great recipe.” ~Joan
Make this diy cream cheese your own ~
- It might sound like a lot of herbs, so use less if you like. I think the cream cheese can really handle quite a bit without being overwhelmed, so I loaded it up. Be sure to crush the herbs further between your fingers as you add them to bring out the flavors.
- Go ahead and use a low fat whipped cream cheese for a skinny homemade Boursin cheese recipe.
Homemade Boursin Cheese Recipe
- 12 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1 large juicy clove of garlic
2 scant teaspoons each:
- dried parsley
- dried oregano
- dried marjoram
- dried tarragon
- dried thyme
- dried chives
- dried sage
- dried basil
- You can do this in a food processor or by hand. For the processor, process the garlic first until it is finely minced, then add the cheese and herbs and process until creamy.
- By hand, mince the garlic as finely as possible, and then mix everything together in a large bowl.
- Put the cheese into an airtight jar or container and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving to allow the flavors to develop.