Homemade Pumpkin Spice Liqueur is creamy, lightly spiced and so easy to make at home. The result is fresher and more delicious than anything you can buy!
Ever since I made my own Homemade Irish Cream I’ve been itching to try my hand at other homemade liqueurs.
This pumpkin liqueur tuned out equally fantastic. The lightly spiced, creamy pumpkin is slightly sweet, but because I chose dark rum for the base, it has a good strong kick to it as well. Sip it alone, use it for mixed cocktails, or in an after dinner coffee. Who knew it was so easy to do? This could get dangerous!
Homemade liqueurs are fun to make, and once you get the hang of it, you can make endless varieties.
They make great holiday gifts, too. You are basically infusing flavor into hard alcohol, and as you can imagine, the combinations are endless. Some liqueurs need to be steeped for a period of time, then strained and bottled. Others, like this creamy pumpkin liqueur don’t need aging, you can drink them immediately. Just be sure to store this one in the fridge. All you need is a clean bottle, some cheesecloth, a strainer, and ideally a funnel for easy filling. You can usually find the cheesecloth and funnels right in your grocery store, where they keep the kitchen tools and supplies. You can find all sorts of glass bottles online or in home goods stores.
- Since you’re going to the trouble to make your own, make it good. I like to grate the nutmeg from the whole spice, and use Massey’s Vanilla Bean Paste, which has a really vivid vanilla flavor and great specks, too. Whole nutmegs are right in the spice section of your supermarket. The paste is harder to find, but it is always online.
- Technically you don’t need to strain this if you don’t want to. I actually like the thick quality when it’s left un-strained…it’s like a decadent adult milkshake!
- Don’t be afraid to taste as you go and adjust it to your liking.
- Homemade liqueurs are usually shelf stable, but because this one contains cream, you should refrigerate it.
- Definitely bring this to whomever is hosting your Thanksgiving this year!
Homemade Pumpkin Liqueur
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1 cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups dark rum to taste, depending on how strong you want your liqueur to be
- Put the cream, pumpkin, sugar, and spices in a saucepan, stirring to combine everything. Heat gently for a few minutes, but do not bring to a simmer.
- Let cool slightly and then add the vanilla and the rum.
- Line a mesh strainer with cheesecloth and strain the mixture into clean bottles.
- Keeps for a month in the refrigerator.