Honey Roasted Plums with Fresh Ricotta, a unique Italian style fruit dessert that opens up all sorts of delicious possibilities for summer evenings…
This simple Mediterranean inspired dessert is a departure for me, but I’ve fallen in love with the idea. It’s a complete 180 from ice cream, cakes, and pies. It’s so wholesome you can hardly call it dessert. Homemade ricotta is so soft and creamy, and paired with the tart juicy plums it’s really a exotic experience. Add a cup of fabulous espresso and you might as well be in Compagnia.
The plums will roast in just a few minutes in a hot oven or under the broiler. You can have the pan ready to go when you sit down to dinner, and pop in in the oven while you clear the dishes.
If you’re the type that never quite understood the whole ‘fruit for dessert’ thing, I hear you, I’m that way myself. Fruit is wonderful, but it’s just not dessert, right?
Well. this might change your mind. For one thing, a ripe summer plum is one of the sweetest, most flavorful fruits ever, and when you roast it, the heat brings out those qualities even more. With this dessert you won’t miss the refined sugar one bit.
You can make fresh ricotta cheese in under 30 minutes with whole milk and a bit of lemon juice. It’s a fun process and at the end you can add cheesemaker to your list of accomplishments.
Fresh made ricotta has more in common with a pudding or a soft cheesecake filling than the stuff you’re used to buying in the plastic tubs. It’s sweet and moist and the perfect receiver for all that gorgeous plum sauce.
More roasted fruit from the archives…
Tips for making honey roasted plums with fresh ricotta ~
- Choose ripe but firm plums. If they are too soft they will fall apart when roasted. If you do have soft plums, just briefly run them under the broiler to heat through rather than fully roasting them.
- Commercial ricotta is not a good substitute for fresh in this dish. If you don’t have fresh cheese, try serving the plums with yogurt, mascarpone cheese, or creme fraiche. They would be lovely over rice pudding, too.
Honey Roasted Plums with Fresh Ricotta
- 1 cup fresh made ricotta recipe here
- 4 firm ripe plums halved and pitted
- butter for the pan
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Butter the bottom of a small skillet or baking dish.
- Arrange the plums, cut side up, on the bottom of the dish. Drizzle with honey and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the plums are releasing their juices and getting soft. Put the pan under the broiler for a minute or so if you want to get some charring on the fruit.
- Put some of the fresh ricotta into individual bowls and top with 2 of the roasted plums, spooning any juices over top.
- Serve immediately, garnished with some fresh thyme.
Make it your own ~
- Make it with another sweetener ~ You can sprinkle the plums with sugar or brown sugar instead of honey. You can also use coconut sugar, agave, or maple syrup.
- Make it lower calorie ~ serve your roasted fruit over yogurt instead of ricotta.
- Make it more decadent ~ serve over ice cream, panna cotta, or rice pudding.
- Make it vegan, serve the plums over coconut yogurt, coconut panna cotta, or coconut rice pudding.
- Make it with peaches or nectarines or Italian plums