How to Make Clotted Cream

Homemade clotted cream

Homemade Clotted Cream ~ (aka Devonshire or Cornish Cream) this luxurious spreadable cream is a must for afternoon tea and scones, but no need to buy those pricey little imported bottles, because now you can make it right in your own kitchen with my easy recipe.

tea at the Biltmore Hotel

“I have done this clotted cream several times now and have been successful each time. The family is looking forward to scones and clotted cream this Christmas morning.”

~ Jean

If you’ve never had a classic English afternoon tea with scones and clotted cream, you’re missing out!

Last week I was treated by the historic Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles to their classic English afternoon tea. If you’ve never had a classic afternoon tea, you need to experience it, and the roaring twenties era Biltmore is the place to do it. Every inch of the hotel is carved, muraled, frescoed, tapestried, guilded, mosaic’d and generally so eye-poppingly gorgeous that it’s easy to forget you’re in Los Angeles. I almost forgot to drink my tea!

tea at the Biltmore

The highlight of any afternoon tea, besides the tea, is the array of tiny treats that comes with it, and I always zero right in on the scones and clotted cream. (That’s them on level two of our tiered tea tray.)

What is Clotted cream?

If you’ve never had it, is a very thick rich spreadable form of heavy cream that was first invented ages ago by some very smart British farmers. It’s not like whipped cream, or cream cheese, it’s not like butter…it has a unique decadent consistency and a wonderful soft flavor. It’s quite thick and spreadable, and when you slather it on a freshly baked scone there is no better thing in the world.

A tiered tea tray with tea sandwiches and scones for High Tea at the Biltmore

The little pot of clotted cream that we got at the Biltmore had me craving more, and happily I made the most astounding discovery…you can actually make clotted cream at home in your own kitchen. No more tracking it down in specialty stores and paying big bucks for the imported stuff. My homemade clotted cream was actually way better (and a whole lot fresher) than the British stuff I usually buy.

What does clotted cream taste like?

Clotted cream tastes like lightly ‘cooked’ cream, but it’s not the taste it’s famous for, it’s the amazingly thick, silky texture! The mouthfeel of clotted cream is like nothing else, and definitely shouldn’t be missed.

homemade clotted cream in a small jar, with scones

How to make clotted cream ~

This is an amazing process, I hardly had to do anything, and I end up with a ton of the richest, silkiest clotted cream I’ve ever had.

• I used 2 pints of cream, poured them into a baking dish, and left it overnight in a 180F oven (the lowest my oven will go.)
  • In the morning I let it cool and then refrigerated it for the rest of the day.
  • Then I scooped it into jars, which was a little sloppy at first, and put them back in the refrigerator. Any little bit of liquid gets absorbed right into the clotted cream after you put it in the jars, and by the next morning when I had it with my scones, it was absolutely to die for.
making homemade clotted cream

How long does clotted cream last

• This is a fresh cream product, and will need to be stored in the refrigerator. It will keep for about 2 weeks, but honestly, it disappears faster than that every time.
homemade clotted cream in a mason jar, with spoon.

What to do with the whey leftover from making clotted cream

You can use the whey in baking, for making oatmeal, or in smoothies.

Homemade clotted cream in a jar with a knife

I can’t say enough good things about this project, the results far exceeded my expectations and it was absurdly easy. The only catch is that you can’t use ultra-pasteurized cream, which is cream that’s been processed for a longer shelf life. Many stores only sell ultra-pasteurized cream, so you have to search a bit for regular cream. I found mine at Whole Foods. Just read the labels… if it doesn’t say ultra-pasteurized on the label, you’re good to go.

cardamom and vanilla scones ready to bake

What to eat with your homemade clotted cream

You will definitely want to make scones to go with your homemade clotted cream. I have lots of recipes for scones on the blog, but this time I made Jennifer’s Cardamom Vanilla Cream Scones, and they were wonderful. Jen doesn’t use any egg in her recipe like I usually do, and I have to say I really liked the texture of her scones. And how can you go wrong with cardamom and vanilla? I highly recommend them.

Homemade Clotted Cream in a jar with scones

Tips for making clotted cream

• Make sure your cream is not ‘ultra pasteurized’, you will need to find regular pasteurized cream at a Whole Foods or other similar store. Ultra pasteurized cream has been treated in a way that prevents it from ‘clotting’.
  • An oven thermometer is an essential kitchen tool, and really comes in handy for this project. If your oven is too cool or too hot your homemade clotted cream will not ‘clot’.
homemade clotted cream with scones
Instant Pot Clotted Cream

Homemade Clotted Cream

Homemade Clotted Cream ~ (aka Devonshire or Cornish Cream) this luxurious spreadable cream is a must for afternoon tea and scones, but no need to buy those pricey little imported bottles, because now you can make it right in your own kitchen!
Course preserves
Cuisine British
Cook Time 12 hours
chilling 12 hours
Total Time 1 day
Yield 1 pint

• 2 pints heavy cream not ultrapasteurized
  • a heavy casserole dish

• set your oven to 180F
  • Pour the cream into the casserole dish. It should come up about 1-3 inches on the side.
  • Set the dish, uncovered, in the oven and leave undisturbed for 12 hours. Be sure to leave the oven on the whole time. I do this overnight.
  • Remove the dish from the oven and set to cool. Then cover and refrigerate. Note: the cream may seem thin at this point, but is going to thicken considerably overnight.
  • The next morning scoop the thickened cream into a jar or jars, and cover and put back in the refrigerator. You can use the leftover cream for baking..
  • Spread the clotted cream on freshly baked scones.
how to make clotted cream pin
email sign up prompt

Lila Smith
    February 3, 2015 at 12:52 pm

i just found your blog on Pinterest, and I am so enjoying everything!! I was wondering if you left the oven at 180 degrees or bring it up to then turn it off? I can’t wait to try the clotted cream with the cardamom scones!

February 3, 2015 at 1:14 pm

You leave it on the whole time, Lila, I’ll edit the recipe to make it clearer, thanks!

Sippitysup
    February 3, 2015 at 11:07 am

I love Los Angeles for all it’s diversity! Tripe tacos for breakfast and clotted cream with high tea in the afternoon. GREG

February 3, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Never had a tripe taco, but I’ll take your word for it Greg πŸ™‚

Jojo
      June 23, 2017 at 10:28 am

You da man Greg! Love that your palate is so adventurous cuz tripe tacos to die for…we grew up on them! Joao

Linda @ForkandForage
    February 3, 2015 at 10:02 am

Oh my, how I miss proper Clotted Cream! I spent a good deal of my youth living in Devon and cream teas were one of my faves. Must try this recipe.

February 3, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Wow, you’ll have to report back Linda…I’m not an expert like you, but I’ve had my share of clotted cream, and I think this is great.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert
    February 3, 2015 at 9:23 am

Oh my! Who knew??? Clotted cream sounds so decedent and like butter only better! The scones look pretty fantastic too – a perfect combination! We love the Biltmore (in Ashville, NC). An amazing era. Your photos of the afternoon tea are wonderful!

February 3, 2015 at 9:35 am

I can just imagine tea at the Ashville Biltmore…I still haven’t been to see it but I hear it’s incredible, it’s going on my 2015 bucket list!

Christina
    February 3, 2015 at 9:16 am

OMG, I am drooling over that clotted cream! My cousin sent me a postcard from England with this recipe on it years ago and why I still have never made is beyond me! This looks absolutely brilliant, Sue.
    It was so much fun to go to the Biltmore with you and Cynthia, and I hope we can do it again soon!

February 3, 2015 at 9:20 am

I am seriously blown away by the texture of this stuff…you need to make it asap!

Sarah | Broma Bakery
    February 3, 2015 at 6:29 am

So jealous of your tea! It looks absolutely regal. And that clotted cream looks insane. I just made homemade butter, and it definitely won’t be the last time I do!

February 3, 2015 at 7:24 am

I think it’s fascinating that butter and clotted cream are essentially the same thing, but with such different tastes and textures!

Monica
    February 3, 2015 at 6:13 am

What a lovely tea! I make scones for my family and whenever we have them, I start speaking in my fake British accent and saying things about clotted cream. : ) So I am so happy to learn how it’s actually made. Thank you!! Looks perfect.

February 3, 2015 at 7:26 am

Haha! I have bought the expensive little jars from Britain when i really wanted to get fancy, but this homemade version makes so much sense, I mean how good can anything made with fresh cream be in a jar?

Monique
    February 3, 2015 at 5:46 am

The Biltmore .well looks positively superb.
    My husband is a fan of cream..sour..clotted..all kinds..Good to know..Thanks!

February 3, 2015 at 7:27 am

Let me know how it works for you Monique.

Jennifer Farley
    February 3, 2015 at 5:43 am

The clotted cream looks wonderful! I’ve always loved it but have never thought to try making it from scratch. And I’m so excited (and flattered) that you made and enjoyed my scones!!! Thank you πŸ™‚

February 3, 2015 at 7:28 am

I LOVED your scones, I may have to alter my basic recipe πŸ™‚

Helen
        April 17, 2016 at 11:00 am

i am having trouble finding heavy cream , is it the same as whipping cream?

April 17, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Yes, you can use either, Helen, but you need to look for cream that is NOT ultra-pasteurized.

Mary
    February 3, 2015 at 4:54 am

I adore going to tea and I imagine that the Biltmore is just about as lovely that it gets for that kind of experience. What a fun afternoon!!

February 3, 2015 at 7:29 am

It’s kind of hard to live that afternoon down, but the homemade clotted cream helps…thanks for stopping by Mary.

Ashley
        January 2, 2017 at 7:00 pm

It seems Organic Valley is about the only one who makes pasteurized Heavy Cream, but I am not able to find it in the Whole Food stores in Los Angeles area. Would you let me know what brand you use and where do you get that from?

Susan
          March 1, 2020 at 2:34 am

Years ago, before taking an exam, our class was told to read each of the 50 question to the end before beginning to take the test. At the end of the test the directions stated, β€œDo only the first 20 questions, then put your pens down.” Those non-direction followers looked panicked when, one by one, students began putting their pens down. Clotted Cream … This was the longest response to a blog I have ever read. Many of the questions were repeated over and over again; how frustrating! The directions were clear from the beginning. Please, fellow foodies, read the directions. Follow β€œMis en place.” Then reread the directions. Who knew the subject of clotted cream could evoke such passion amongst people. Hmmm. Think I’ll go in search of some non-ultra pasteurized cream!
          I continue to love your site, Sue. Besides being a great cook, you are one patient lady! Best regards….
          Susan

• Sue
            March 1, 2020 at 7:55 am

πŸ™‚ Go get that cream, you’re gonna love this!

1 2 3 21