These Ice Cream Bon Bons are impossibly cute, and utterly addictive. You can customize them with your favorite ice cream flavor!
Have you ever bought those chocolate covered ice cream ‘miniatures’? They’re the perfect way to have a little dessert while maintaining the illusion that you haven’t really indulged. They’re ingenious. The problem is they come in teeny tiny boxes, and they are so expensive! But guess what? With homemade chocolate coating you can easily make them yourself. Another score for the DIY team. And I love the built in portion control because, if it’s hot enough out, I can easily lose myself in a carton of mint chip. These two-bite Ice Cream Bon Bons are delicious little problem solvers…they’re going to be my best friends this summer.
I only had vanilla ice cream in the freezer when I decided to make these, but if you like the idea you can go crazy with variations. Coffee ice cream is on my list, maybe with a milk chocolate coating, topped with toasted almonds. I have a few different ‘Magic Shell’ recipes on the blog for you to try, one using NUTELLA, and another with WHITE CHOCOLATE. and still another with VANILLA BEAN. The concept is that you melt chocolate with a little bit of coconut oil, and the coconut oil makes the liquid mixture harden on contact with the cold ice cream It’s a lot of fun, and very easy.
I made these using a small scoop to form the little balls of ice cream. After a quick dip in the chocolate coating they go back in the freezer until you want to devour them. Because they are coated with a chocolate shell they are easy to store and easy to serve. The Coating will keep in a jar at room temperature if you want to make extra.
- ice cream, any flavor you like
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate (chips or squares)
- 8 Tbsp coconut oil
- Put a baking sheet in the freezer to get it cold. Then use a small 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop to scoop out 12 scoops of ice cream and place them on the cold tray. Work quickly and then put the tray back in the freezer.
- To make the chocolate coating, put the chocolate in a smallish, deep bowl or measuring cup. If you are using bar chocolate, cut it up in small pieces first. Add the coconut oil and microwave it for one minute. Stir well. If the chocolate is not completely melted, put it back in the microwave for 15 seconds. Stir again until the chocolate is completely smooth. Set aside to allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer. Dip each scoop into the chocolate using a fork to hold the ice cream, and a spoon to help cover it completely. Tap off any excess and lay the bon bon back on the tray. Immediately add the sprinkles, before the chocolate hardens. Continue with the rest of the scoops. You may have to work in shifts so that the ice cream doesn't melt. You can freeze a another plate and transfer a few scoops at a time to the plate if you like.
- Store the bon bons in the freezer in a plastic or glass food storage container, or in freezer baggies, until ready to eat.
Make it your own ~
- Use ready made Magic Shell for an every quicker treat!
How could you not love these?
Each one of these little Bon Bons is two-bites of pure ice cream bliss!