Miso Ramen with Shitake and Chicken

Miso Ramen with Shitake and Chicken ~ this Japanese noodle bowl is an amazing protein packed 30-minute meal that also happens to be low calorie, low fat, and utterly delicious!

miso ramen with shitake mushrooms and chicken

Here in the US ramen is synonymous with bare-bones, pre-packaged, microwaved eating on a budget, but in Asia, ramen has a long honored history as fine food. The fresh noodles were originally hand pulled by skilled chefs. This authentic version (minus the hand-pulled noodles) is a gourmet meal.

miso ramen with shitake and chicken soup is healthy, low calorie, and comforting

This is heartier than my Miso Soup but it’s based on similar flavors. The ramen noodles, the chicken, egg and the extra vegetables elevate it to a main meal. Everything is fresh, barely cooked, and delicate but the flavor is robust thanks to the red miso paste, a hot chili pepper, the rich shitake mushrooms, and a drizzle of sesame oil.

Miso Ramen with Shitake and Chicken is packed with protein and all the health benefits of miso paste

It’s a symphony of textures, too, from the slightly chewy mushrooms and noddles, to the crunch of the corn and red bell pepper, to the juicy bok choy, and finally the creamy egg.

Miso Ramen with Shitake and Chiciken is a quick and easy 30-minute meal

You’ll find ramen noodles in the Asian section of your store. They cook up in just 4 minutes.

Healthy Ramen Noodles

Ramen Noodles

The Japanese have the longest life expectancy on the planet, so it makes sense to explore their diet and take a few tips from how they eat. I do always feel instantly healthier when I eat Japanese food. This meal contains no fats or artificial ingredients, and has a beautiful visual appeal. The only thing it has in common with the little packets of ramen is that it’s budget friendly.

Ingredients for healthy Miso Ramen with Shitake and Chicken
Serve this miso ramen with chopsticks, or a spoon and a fork, but either way, be prepared to slurp ๐Ÿ™‚

Reader Rave ~

I tried this recipe to the T, and it really was a wonderful experience. The miso paste adds most of the flavor, and the bok choy and mushrooms add wonderful texture. Thank you for this recipe.” ~Bianca

miso ramen with shitake mushrooms and chicken

Miso Ramen with Shitake and Chicken

Course Main Course
Cuisine Japanese
Yield 2 servings

• 1 ear fresh corn kernels removed
  • 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
  • 1 cooked chicken breast sliced on the diagonal
  • 1 hard cooked egg halved
  • about 4 oz dry ramen noodles use rice noodles for gluten free
  • 4 cups water
  • about 6 medium shitake mushrooms cleaned and sliced
  • 1 hot chili pepper thinly sliced
  • 2-3 baby bok choy sliced (including the green leaves)
  • 6 scallions sliced
  • 2 Tbsp red miso paste
  • sesame oil
  • sesame seeds

• Microwave the corn kernels for about a minute just to take the raw edge off and set aside.
  • Set aside the bell pepper, chicken, and egg, in separate bowls, for garnishing the finished soup.
  • Cook the noodles in boiling water for about 4 minutes. Drain and put in two wide shallow soup bowls.
  • Heat the water to a simmer and add the mushrooms and the hot pepper. Simmer for a couple of minutes.Add the bok choy and the scallions and simmer for a minute or so more, just long enough to bring out the bright green color.
  • Turn off the heat and stir in the miso paste. (You do this off the heat so as not to destroy some of the beneficial nutrients in the miso paste) Stir well until the paste is completely dissolved.
  • Pour the broth over the noodles in the two bowls.
  • Garnish with the corn, red bell pepper, and egg halves.
  • Finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil.

Cook's notes

• You'll find lots of different types of noodles in the Asian or International section of your supermarket, you can experiment with them in this dish, too.ย  If you have trouble finding them, check Amazon
  • For more info on how to buy, use, and store Japanese miso paste, see my post on HOW TO USE MISO.

Don’t forget to pin this Miso Ramen with Shitake and Chicken!

Miso Ramen with Shitake and Chicken pin

Mary
    September 5, 2012 at 12:33 pm

P.P.S. That is just off the top of my head. Now, if I were really planning a trip, I’d visit your recipe index immediately and provide you with a much more detailed list. I’m super easy like that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mary
    September 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm

oh, yes. This looks amazing!!! Want to laugh? I was cleaning out my pantry just yesterday and I found a bunch of those noodles. I just stared at them and couldn’t remember for the life of me why I bought them. I tossed them… sad. I need to find a good gluten free noodle for dishes like this one. I’ve tried a few and they just haven’t been quite right. The search continues.

P.S. When I do come and visit you, I’d like a first course of this soup, followed by your mushroom marsala pasta (that I still haven’t made yet!) and then chased by your refrigerator chocolate cake, your lemon poppyseed cake and at least 2 each of all your shortbread cookies. Okey doke? Oh, and I’ll need at least 6 of your thin mints for a midnight snack.

Anonymous
    September 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your weblog. You have some really great articles and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link
    back to mine. Please blast me an e-mail if interested.

Cheers!
    Also visit my web blogHar Vokse Review

Kitchen Belleicious
    September 5, 2012 at 1:41 am

okay first of all I realize these are not the packaged little ramen noodles from the store but seeing the word reminded me of my brother who always tried to gain weight in highschool (yeah not fair I know) and he would come home and make like a huge bowl of ramen noodles from 3 packages and then put hot sauce and butter in it! I WAS LIKE WHAT! it was gross- yours are not the case though- this dish looks amazing, so flavorful with the mushroom flavor. I wish I had a huge bowl myself

belleau kitchen
    September 4, 2012 at 8:40 pm

oh Sue, I honestly think you’re gonna have to get the spare room made up for an impending visit… with the food you’ve been preparing lately I just have to move in!… this is divine!

Eileen
    September 4, 2012 at 5:49 pm

This looks amazing! Real ramen for the win. ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s super hard for us to find ramen in restaurants since there is vegetarianism to consider–making it at home is clearly the best possible solution.

Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez
    September 4, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I absolutely LOVE ramen bowls like this…I could eat them everyday. Wishing I had one now, actually. YUM.

hobby baker
    September 4, 2012 at 4:38 pm

It certainly is beautiful! We haven’t been able to do ramen for years because of allergies to all the additives so I can’t wait to try out your recipe! Just need to find some good noodles… Thanks for sharing!

Averie @ Averie Cooks
    September 4, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Ive been catching up on my Top Chef Masters episodes on m DVR and this looks like something the chef Takashi would make – and he keeps winning all the challenges! Gorgeous, Sue!

Tricia @ saving room for dessert
    September 4, 2012 at 4:07 pm

This looks beyond delicious. It looks perfect! I wish I could order this somewhere and have it at least once a week. It is beautiful. Oh maybe I should just make it!

1 2 3