Apple brownies stuffed with chunks of apple and walnut are easy apple bars that bring a smile to everyone’s face ~ make a batch today for a back to school lunch box, the guys at the office, or just for you…you deserve it!
apple brownies are the perfect fall snack
Friends ~ these are really really good, don’t miss them!! It’s a good thing these apple brownies are baked in a 9×13 pan, because they go fast. Nobody ever turns one down ~ why would they? They’re chewy, packed with juicy apples and crunchy walnuts in butterscotch-y batter with a hint of spice. And they taste like…fall!
I recommend this recipe if you’re looking for a foolproof treat to share with friends. People are intrigued right off the bat by the concept, and get that goofy this is delicious grin on their face after the first bite. They’ll ask for the recipe, so be prepared!
ingredients for apple brownies
This is an easy one bowl batter, the most time consuming part is peeling and chopping the apples.
- apples, peeled and chopped in half-inch chunks.
- I used Granny Smith apples, but any variety you like will work. Honeycrisp would be my second choice.
- granulated and brown sugar
- large eggs
- substitute pecans, or leave them out entirely if you prefer.
- apple pie spice or cinnamon
- my apple pie spice is from McCormick and it’s a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. I like it because it’s a little softer and more complex than cinnamon alone.
- baking powder, baking soda, salt
helpful tips for making apple brownies
1/2 inch chunks of apple seemed to be the sweet spot. Any smaller and they melt into the batter and you don’t get bursts of apple in every bite. Any larger and the brownies won’t hold together as well.
As with all brownies and blondies there is a risk of over-baking. 35-38 minutes was perfect for me, and I like to confirm my oven temperature with an oven thermometer.
These brownies get a lot of moisture from the chunks of fresh apple, and they tend to get even moister as they sit, so I don’t cover them tightly with plastic wrap. I like to keep them on the counter loosely covered with foil, or under my glass cake dome.
Yes these apple bars have a homey coffee break in the kitchen or after school snack vibe; they’re easy to eat out of hand, or pack and take with you anywhere.
But nothing says you can’t go for it with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce. You do you.
if you love apple brownies I bet you’ll also love
- Strawberry Lemon Blondies
- The BEST Maple Walnut Blondies
- Triple Lemon Brownies
- Moist Zucchini Brownies
- Apple Crisp Muffins
- Easy Apple Fritter Bread
- Apple Cider Doughnut Loaf Cake
Moist Apple Brownies
- 9×13 pan
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13 pan. I like to line it with parchment paper so I can remove the brownies for slicing, but that's optional.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter with the white and brown sugars. Make sure to smooth out any lumps of brown sugar.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, then blend in the vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Fold in the chopped apples and nuts.
- Whisk in the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then fold in the flour and mix just until well combined, but don't over mix.
- Spread the batter evenly in your pan. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until golden. If unsure, insert a toothpick somewhere near the center, it should come out without wet batter on it (moist crumbs are fine.) Don't over bake, apple brownies can go from almost done to over-baked in a matter of minutes.
- Let the brownies cool somewhat before slicing and devouring 🙂