No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars ~ these easy bars are a cookie dough lover’s dream come true. This is a no egg recipe, and the flour is microwaved to kill any potential bacteria.
These no bake peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough bars are fairly self explanatory, I think, the name pretty much says it all. I just mixed up some yummy peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough, sans eggs, and patted it into a square baking pan. Then I slathered it in melted chocolate and refrigerated until it was slice-able. They’re no biggie to make, but kinda irresistible once they’re done. You might even have a hard time waiting for them to chill.
Cookie dough bars are in a class all by themselves…they’re not brownies, or blondies, not cake or cookies…they almost have a truffle-like mouth feel. They have the characteristically soft, grainy quality that we all know and love from sneaking spoonfuls of cookie dough throughout the years. While they may not fit into a formal dessert category, these unique treats are famously delicious.
If you’re a closet cookie dough lover you’re going to want to try all my cookie dough treats. The first one I created was the classic: CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH BARS. Then I loaded in a few more yummy ingredients in my I WANT TO MARRY YOU COOKIE DOUGH BARS. And finally I incorporated everybody’s favorite cookie into my NO BAKE COOKIES AND CREAM COOKIE DOUGH BARS. I think that ought to satisfy you in the cookie dough department for a good long time :)
Once upon a time we were told to avoid eating raw cookie dough because there was a risk of salmonella from the raw eggs. So egg-less cookie dough recipes have been popular for a while. But recently it’s been found that there is a small chance that raw flour can be contaminated with E. coli, and so the FDA recommends against eating anything made with flour that is not cooked, i.e., cookie dough. This puts cookie dough lovers in quite a pickle!
TIP: E. coli is killed at a temperature of 165F, so theoretically if we heat our flour to that temperature first, it should be fine. That can be done in the oven or in the microwave, and I’ve chosen to do it in the microwave ~ here’s how: put the flour for the recipe in a large bowl and microwave for one minute. Whisk briefly and then you can check with a thermometer that the temperature of the flour has reached at least 165F.
If you follow this blog you might remember me doing something similar with the flour for my PERFECT GRAVY WITHOUT THE BIRD. In that case I cooked the flour until it became a rich nutty brown. All this being said, if you are concerned and don’t want to chance eating raw cookie dough, there are always my PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP SHORTBREAD COOKIES! And if you don’t want any flour at all, I’ve even got FLOURLESS PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES. So you see, no one has to go without their pb and chocolate fix here at tvfgi :)
*This No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars recipe is lightly adapted from Sweetest Menu
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) soft butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp milk
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips (use minis if you like)
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, either finely chopped, or chips
- 1 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Line an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with foil.
- Put the flour in a large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir, and check the temperature, you want to get it to 160F. If it's not there, microwave 10 more seconds and check again. When it has reached 160F let it cool, and then sift and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars together until well combined. Blend in the peanut butter and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, and add the milk if the mixture seems very dry. Fold in the chips.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the pan, making sure to get a flat, even layer.
- Put the chocolate and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup and microwave for 1 minute. Stir until the mixture is completely melted and lump free. If necessary put it back in the microwave for 10 second bursts until it is smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the cookie dough and spread out. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours to allow it to firm up.
- Remove from the refrigerator about 5 minutes before slicing. Remove the cookie dough from the pan, and peel off the foil. Slice with a large sharp knife that has been dipped in hot water and dried off between each slice.
- Store these bars in the refrigerator.
- While I feel comfortable that leaving out the eggs and heating the flour to 165F makes this raw dough perfectly safe, you will have to make your own determination ~ eat cookie dough at your own risk.
- To slice through the chilled chocolate it helps to dip your knife into very hot water (be sure to dry it off) before each cut.
- Feel free to use mini chocolate chips if you like. You’ll get cleaner cuts that way, but a little less chocolate impact, so it’s a trade-off.
- These are best kept refrigerated.
Don’t forget to Pin these No Bake Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bars!