No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars ~ these easy bars are a cookie dough lover’s dream come true. This is a no egg recipe, without raw wheat flour, so it’s safe to eat!
*NOTE: The FDA warns that while it is unlikely, eating raw flour can make you ill, therefore they recommend against eating raw cookie dough or other products made with uncooked all-purpose wheat flour. I have updated this recipe to use heat treated flour, oat flour, or fine almond flour for safety.
These no bake peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough bars are fairly self explanatory, I think, the name pretty much says it all. I just mixed up some yummy peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough, and patted it into a square baking pan. Then I slathered it in melted chocolate and refrigerated until it was slice-able. They’re no biggie to make, but kinda irresistible once they’re done. You might even have a hard time waiting for them to chill.
Cookie dough bars are in a class all by themselves…
they’re not brownies, or blondies, not cake or cookies…they almost have a truffle-like mouth feel. They have the characteristically soft, grainy quality that we all know and love from sneaking spoonfuls of cookie dough throughout the years. While they may not fit into a formal dessert category, these unique treats are famously delicious.
why is cookie dough bad to eat?
Once upon a time we were told to avoid eating raw cookie dough because there was a risk of salmonella from the raw eggs. So egg-less cookie dough recipes have been popular for a while. But recently it’s been found that there is a small chance that raw flour can be contaminated with E. coli, and so the FDA recommends against eating anything made with flour that is not cooked, i.e., cookie dough. This puts cookie dough lovers in quite a pickle!
how do we make cookie dough bars safe to eat?
- First we don’t use any raw eggs in these bars, so no worries there.
- We replace regular flour with one of three options: heat treated flour is flour that’s been heated to kill any potential pathogens. It’s not widely available, but if you love cookie dough, it’s worth tracking down. You can buy it here.
- You can also use non-wheat flours like oat flour, or finely ground almond flour, both of which are safe to eat raw.
cookie dough lovers need try all my cookie dough treats.
The first one I created was the classic: chocolate chip cookie dough bars. Then I loaded in a few more yummy ingredients in my I want to marry you cookie dough bars. And finally I incorporated everybody’s favorite cookie into my no bake cookies and cream cookie dough bars. I think that ought to satisfy you in the cookie dough department for a good long time 🙂
No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars
- 1/2 cup soft unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups heat treated flour, oat flour, or fine almond flour. You can find heat treated flour here.
- 2 tsp milk
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips, use minis if you like
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped or chips
- 1 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Line an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with foil.
- Cream the butter and sugars together until well combined. Blend in the peanut butter and vanilla.
- Stir in the oat flour, and add the milk if the mixture seems very dry. Fold in the chips.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the pan, making sure to get a flat, even layer.
- Put the chocolate and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup and microwave for 1 minute. Stir until the mixture is completely melted and lump free. If necessary put it back in the microwave for 10 second bursts until it is smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the cookie dough and spread out. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours to allow it to firm up.
- Remove from the refrigerator about 5 minutes before slicing. Remove the cookie dough from the pan, and peel off the foil. Slice with a large sharp knife that has been dipped in hot water and dried off between each slice.
- Store these bars in the refrigerator.
notes and variations
- To slice through the chilled chocolate it helps to dip your knife into very hot water (be sure to dry it off) before each cut.
- Feel free to use mini chocolate chips if you like. You'll get cleaner cuts that way, but a little less chocolate impact, so it's a trade-off.
- These are best kept refrigerated.