My Pumpkin Doughnut Cake is a golden, lightly spiced pumpkin cake with a crisp sugar doughnut crust that makes it the ULTIMATE fall coffee cake, snack cake, or dessert ~ you decide!
Going on the assumption that more is better, I mega-sized a pumpkin doughnut into a pumpkin bundt cake
If you’ve tried my apple cider doughnut cake, or my apple cider doughnut muffins, for that matter, you’ll know that the concept is a winner. This cake takes on the persona of that perfect pumpkin sugar doughnut that only makes an appearance once a year at your favorite doughnut shop. Just like those prized doughnuts, the crust is crisp and the inside is soft and cakey, with lots of pumpkin flavor.
Some foods are just really good at setting the tone for a season, and this is one of them. Make this cake, set it out on the counter, and you’ll feel like you’ve won fall, even if you don’t get to do any of your regular activities this year.
What you’ll need for a pumpkin doughnut cake
- canned pumpkin
- vegetable oil
- cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves
- flour ~ use all purpose or cake flour
- sugar ~ granulated
- baking powder and baking soda, salt
The secret to making a dough-nutty cake
- When the cake comes out of the oven, I let it cool slightly, then flip it out of the pan.
- I brush the warm cake with plenty of melted butter, followed immediately with as much sugar as I can sprinkle/pat on.
- The effect is a light crunchy ‘crust’ that makes this cake dough-nutty and delicious.
Why you’ll love this cake
It’s an easy recipe that can be made in a bowl with a whisk ~ no beaters or stand mixers needed.
It’s got a lovely golden color and a gentle spice flavor profile everybody loves. Pumpkin comes but once a year, and it’s always a welcome ingredient!
There’s no frosting or glaze to deal with, but the simple sugar coating makes a huge difference. It’s delicious but not decadent.
pumpkin + cake
Pecan Praline Pumpkin Cake ~ this sheet cake is a crowd pleaser…I think it’s the frosting 😉
Warm Pumpkin Pudding Cakes ~ the texture is so unique!
Flourless Pumpkin Spice Cake ~ pillowy soft and gluten free.
Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake ~ it’s a holiday tradition in our house.
Pumpkin Doughnut Cake
- standard non stick bundt pan
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter and flour your bundt pan, making sure to get into all the nooks and crannies. Don't skip this step!
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together in a another bowl.
- Blend the dry ingredients with the wet, mixing just until combined, don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it.
- Set the pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. Then loosen the cake all around the edges with a thin offset spatula, and invert it. If the cake sticks, loosen it a little more and try again.
- Brush with the melted butter, and sprinkle generously all over with the sugar. Try to pat on as much sugar as you can.
- Slice the cake and serve warm or at room temperature.