Quick Pickled Rainbow Carrots ~ these refrigerator pickles, or ‘quickles’, are ready in 24 hours ~ they make a colorful side dish, they perk up salads, and make the healthiest, crunchiest snack ~ so what are you waiting for?
Are you ready to PICKLE??
I’m always ready, but especially so now that spring is around the corner and there are so many pretty young veggies just begging to be brined. Like these gorgeous rainbow carrots ~ did you know you can pickle them in just 24 hours? Spring snacking just got a whole lot tastier.
What’s especially nice about pickled carrots is that they keep their crunch so much better than almost any other type of pickled veggie ~ use colorful rainbow carrots and you’ve got one special condiment. And rainbow carrots aren’t just pretty, they’re super healthy, too. The pigments that make the different colors signify different nutrients. According to the Vegetable Crops Research Unit in Madison, Wisconsin the nutrients/colors break down like this:
- Orange: Beta and alpha carotene pigment. This promotes vitamin A production by the body, which is essential for healthy eyes.
- Purple: Anthocyanin, beta and alpha carotene pigment. Purple carrots typically have an orange core, and their pigment-related nutrients may provide additional vitamin A and prevent heart disease.
- Red: Lycopene and beta-carotene pigment. Lycopene is the same red pigment that gives tomatoes their deep color and is linked to a lower risk of certain cancers, such as prostate cancer.
- Yellow: Xanthophykks and lutein. Both are linked to cancer prevention and better eye health.
- White: The nutrients don’t come from the pigment but from the fiber, which promotes healthy digestion.
You can actually reuse the pickling brine, too, so keep adding new carrots to your jar! You can top it off with added vinegar and water as needed.
For convenience I used a jarred pickling spice, but it’s easy to make your own, and you can control the flavors easily that way. A classic pickling spice contains the following, in whole form:
- mustard seed
- bay leaf
- black pepper
Quick Pickled Rainbow Carrots
- 1 bunch (about 6-8) rainbow carrots
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 Tbsp pickling spices
- Trim and peel the carrots. Cut them in sticks just long enough to fit your jar. Fit the carrots snugly into the jar.
- Combine the water, vinegar, and pickling spices in a small saucepan. Heat it to a simmer, and then pour over the carrots, right up to the top of the jar. Let cool, then seal the jar and refrigerate. The pickles will be ready to eat after 24 hours.
Make it your own ~
- Make these pickled rainbow carrots into spicy pickles (my favorite!) by adding a sliced jalapeno pepper, or some crushed red chili pepper flakes to the pickling solution.
- Regular orange carrots make great quickles too!
- Try picking baby carrots, the kind sold in the plastic bag.
- Try my QUICK PICKLED VIDALIA ONIONS and my QUICK AND SPICY REFRIGERATOR PICKLES. As you can see, the common denominator is QUICK 😉
Don’t forget to pin these 24 Hour Pickled Rainbow Carrots