Red White and Blueberry Yogurt Popsicles

Red White And Blueberry Popsicles | The View From Great Island 2

Show your colors this summer with these healthy patriotic Red White and Blueberry Yogurt Popsicles! Kids of all ages love these berry-licious frozen treats, so layer up a batch this Memorial Day or 4th of July!

Show your colors this summer with these healthy Red White and Blueberry Yogurt Popsicles! Kids of all ages love these berry-licious frozen treats... theviewfromgreatisland.com

I’ll eventually get striped popsicles out of my system, but with Memorial Day (and the 4th!) coming up, I just had to try these. You don’t have to be a flag waver to flaunt a little Americana this season.

There’s no food coloring or added sugar in these patriotic treats… just  plump ripe blueberries and raspberries (or strawberries). Greek yogurt supplies the creamy white stripes.

Red White and Blueberry Yogurt Popsicles for Memorial Day and the 4th of July! | theviewfromgreatisland.com

If you do a simple “red white and blue food” search on Pinterest, you’re going to see some day-glo  treats out there. I’m all for national pride, but not with blue jello and red dye. These popsicles are actually healthy, so you can feel good about showing your colors , and eating them too. I use fresh summer strawberries for the stripes, pure yogurt for the white, and blueberries for the patch of blue. Old Glory never tasted so good!

Red White and Blueberry Popsicles are a healthy way to show your colors this summer! | theviewfromgreatisland.com

You’ll need a popsicle mold for this project, as well as some sort of blender or food processor to make your berry purees. You can also use paper cups as molds in a pinch.

Healthy Red White and Blueberry Popsicles made with fresh fruit and yogurt! | theviewfromgreatisland.com

These pure fruit popsicles melt fast, so don’t take them out of the freezer until you’re ready to eat or serve them, they won’t last long in the hot sun.

Healthy and delicious Red White and Blueberry Popsicles made with yogurt and berries ~ theviewfromgreatisland.com

Lots of you have asked about what popsicle mold I use. I use one like THIS ONE because they are sturdy and I like the classic popsicle shape. I don’t use the plastic top that comes with it, though because it can get stuck when the sticks aren’t perfectly straight. A simple foil top works best, and I insert the popsicle sticks right through the foil. You can find wooden popsicle sticks HERE.

TIPS for making red white and blue striped popsicles ~

• Be sure to thin your purees, and your yogurt so that you can more easily layer them into the mold. If they are too thick, you will have trouble doing this neatly.
  • For the sharpest stripes, have everything very cold before layering, that way the layers won’t tend to bleed into each other as much.
  • Be sure to freeze each layer completely before going on to the next.
Red White And Blueberry Popsicles | The View From Great Island 2

Red White and Blueberry Popsicles

Show your colors this summer with these healthy patriotic Red White and Blueberry Yogurt Popsicles! Make some this Memorial Day or 4th of July!
Course Dessert
Prep Time 15 minutes
freezing 6 hours
Yield 10 popsicles

• 1 heaping cup raspberries
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 cup vanilla flavored Greek yogurt

• Using a small 4 cup food processor, or blender, puree the raspberries until smooth. Set aside.
  • Do the same with the blueberries. (If your blueberries are super purple, add a little blue food coloring.)
  • Put the yogurt and each of the berry purees in small measuring cups with spouts. The goal is to thin them just a bit so they are pourable. Use water for the yogurt and the raspberries, and, depending on the color of your blueberries, you can use water, or yogurt if you need to brighten up your 'blue'. Keep these cups chilling in the refrigerator when you are not using them.
  • To layer your pops, start by pouring a little of the blueberry in the bottom of each mold. The only tricky part to these popsicles is getting the layers in without too much spillage to mar your stripes. Use my photos as a rough guide for how much blue you want. Don't get too fussy, it should look rustic!
  • Put the mold in the freezer and freeze till firm, at least an hour, or more.
  • Layer a little bit of yogurt into each mold for the next stripe. You will be able to see through the side of the mold to check your progress. At this point, cover the top of the mold with foil, and insert the popsicle sticks. Make sure to get the stick a little bit into the frozen layer so they will stand straight. Put back into the freezer until solid.
  • Remove the foil at this stage, you won't need it since the stick is in and you need to layer. Next comes your raspberry stripe, and so on until the molds are filled. Make sure to freeze each stripe until solid before adding the next. Don't worry if the stripes are uneven, but do try to clean up any dribbles as you go. I used a popsicle stick to scrape down the insides of the mold after each stripe.
  • Once filled and completely frozen solid, you can un-mold your pops. Fill the sink with hot water. Remove the foil, and immerse the mold just up to the lip, being careful not to let any water splash onto the top. Hold it for a few seconds, remove, and try to pull the pops out. If they don't slide out, immerse again for just a few seconds.
  • I recommend keeping the popsicles in the mold until you are ready to serve, or, if you are working in batches, wrap each pop quickly in waxed paper or put into a baggie and put back in the freezer. I don't recommend making these more than a day in advance.

Don’t forget to pin these Red White and Blueberry Yogurt Popsicles!

Red White and Blueberry Popsicles pin

email sign up prompt

[email protected]
    July 1, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Holy cuteness! Can’t wait to try these! I am including these in my blog of Independence Day treats tomorrow. I will link back to your original post. Thanks for sharing!

Jamie

July 1, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Thanks Jamie!

Mel the Crafty Scientist
    June 29, 2014 at 11:38 am

Love your blog and these popsicles – so creative and festive (and they look super yummy)! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of my very favorite July 4th projects here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )
    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

June 29, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Thanks Mel!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking & More
    June 28, 2014 at 11:47 am

Sue,
    these are absolutely the most beautiful popsicles I’ve ever seen! So festive and the colors are GORGEOUS!!
    Great work, girl!!
    Have a happy 4th and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

June 28, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Thanks Lynne!

Penny
    June 24, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I love your patriotic popsicles!!! I hope you have not already answered this question from someone else, and I didn’t see it,but….Where did you get your popsicle molds?? I love the wooden sticks! I have popsicle molds with plastic sticks that my grandkids need to worry about bringing back to Grandma’s house!! I love the shape of your mold and the wooden sticks!!! 🙂 Thanks! Penny. 🙂

Estelle
    June 17, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Hello Sue! I made your recipe yesterday, did a few mistakes (did not wait long enough between each layer) but they will be corrected on my next batch. One problem though, once puréed, my blueberries actually don’t look blue anymore, but more like red/purple. Yours look so blue! Do you have any tip? Thank you! 🙂

June 17, 2014 at 8:49 pm

The problem with blueberries is that there are many different varieties, and each one is a little different in color. If yours are really purple. you can add a few drops of blue food coloring to bring up the blue color. Go slowly and stir well because a little coloring goes a long way!

Estelle
        June 23, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Thanks Sue! I’m going to try that, because once frozen, the color turns to be brownish, which doesn’t look very appealing.

June 23, 2014 at 1:03 pm

The funny thing is, I think it depends on the kind of blueberry you have. There are lots of different varieties in the stores, and they have different color properties.

Tami
    June 4, 2014 at 11:53 am

Hi! Love the popsicles! I would wrap a little foil around the end of the stick so that when you pour the mixtures it won’t get mall over. Love this idea! Can’t wait to try them…..

Nicole
    May 31, 2014 at 11:49 pm

These turned out absolutely gorgeous! What a fun and festive treat for 4th of July! I’m going to give these a try!

Chelsey
    May 28, 2014 at 7:43 pm

How did you get the fruit in after inserting the sticks without getting it all over the sticks?? I just made these and they came out like yours except the fruits and yogurt is all over the end of the sticks ):

May 28, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I tried to be careful and avoid the stick as I layered, Chelsey, but it is a bit of a challenge. I thinned the yogurt and the berry purees so that I could basically ‘pour’ them in with a small measuring cup with a spout.

Caroline Goode
        June 4, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Absolutely adore these! Would it work the same if I use strawberries instead of raspberries? 🙂

June 5, 2014 at 3:44 am

Yes, absolutely!

Amber
    May 27, 2014 at 10:00 am

Hi Sue, saw your photo used on the instagram of “hautehippieofficial” for Memorial Day and had to go on a google image search to find these exact ones!! So happy I found you and the recipe. These are by far the best looking patriotic popsicles I have ever seen! So beautiful and picture perfect. Thank you for sharing and can’t wait to make them. Buying the mold now for my four kiddos who are 10,8,6 & 4. It’s going to be a great summer in Colorado.

May 27, 2014 at 10:06 am

Hey Thanks Amber for taking the trouble to find me! I hate it when things are shared without the link. Glad you made it here, and let me know how the pops turn out!

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen
    May 24, 2014 at 8:57 am

These popsicles look amazing Sue. I just found a photo of them on The Entertaining House’s blog post “10 inspiriting ideas for your Memorial Day & summer entertaining” with a click-over to your site.
    Sam

May 24, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for letting me know, Sam! Have a wonderful weekend!

1 2 3 4 5 6