I haven’t skipped breakfast once since I discovered Strawberry Milk Muesli. It’s my spring version of oatmeal, so pretty and packed with protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals for a super delicious and healthy start to the day.
strawberry milk muesli has a fresh clean berry flavor
Muesli is our summer version of oatmeal for breakfast, and we love it with all kinds of milk, dairy and non-dairy alike. But strawberry milk takes this healthy Swiss oat breakfast cereal right over the top. It’s like springtime in a bowl. Kids go crazy for it, but the strawberry flavor is so fresh and clean, it’s super appealing to adults too. Theres no artificial flavors or excess sweetness that you find in so many readymade strawberry flavored foods, and so it’s quite refreshing. We fight over that last bit of strawberry milk!
what you’ll need:
- fresh strawberries
- milk, any type of milk will work, from while, low fat, or skimmed, to plant based milks like almond, soy, or coconut.
- rolled oats, either old fashioned or quick cooking.
- sliced almonds, toasted or raw.
- optional: small amounts of sugar or honey, and vanilla extract
Strawberry milk consists of milk and strawberries, blended together. The proportions can vary depending on how thick you like the texture, and how strong you want the strawberry flavor to be. For this muesli I used a 1 to 1 ratio.
- Add 1 cup milk (use whole, low fat, skimmed, or any alternative milk of your choice) to a blender.
- Add 1 cup halved strawberries.
- Blend until creamy and frothy.
- If you like you can add a touch of sugar or honey to sweeten to taste.
- I like to add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract as well.
storing strawberry milk
Your fresh strawberry milk will last 2 days in the refrigerator. It will tend to separate a bit after chilling, so stir or shake before using.
to make your strawberry milk muesli
- Blend up a batch of strawberry milk, as above.
- Add 1/2 cup of raw rolled oats to a bowl.
- Stir in about a cup of strawberry milk.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for an hour, up to overnight.
- When ready to eat, give the cereal a stir, then add some fresh sliced berries and sliced almonds. Top with a little more strawberry milk if you like.
why oats for breakfast?
In our house we eats oats for breakfast year round, with granola and muesli filling in for oatmeal and oat bran in the warmer months.
- oats are gluten free whole grains and complex carbohydrates, so the full feeling lasts longer and keeps you satisfied longer.
- oats are high in soluble fiber which helps the digestive system, can help lower bad cholesterol, and fight certain types of cancer.
- they’re high in antioxidants that can help lower blood pressure.
- oats are tasty and can be paired with all kinds of add ins like fruits and nuts. You’re more likely to eat them if they taste good!
more ways to eat healthy oats for breakfast
- Maui Island Granola
- Easy Oat Muffins with Cinnamon Sugar
- How to Make Bircher Muesli
- Oat Bran Power Bowl
- Overnight Oats with Almond Butter and Honey
Strawberry Milk Muesli
- Add the milk, strawberries, vanilla, and sugar to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Divide the oats into two bowls (1/2 cup in each), and pour about 1 cup of the strawberry milk over them.
- Allow to sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour or up to overnight, until the museli has thickened and absorbed most of the liquid.
- Stir together and top with a little extra strawberry milk, toasted almonds, and sliced fresh strawberries.