Zucchini Cornbread is a moist variation on one of the most versatile quick breads around. Pair it with chili, chowder, soup, stews, baked beans, ribs, ham, and of course, fried chicken. But this easy cornbread is delicious enough to stand on its own.
A great cornbread recipe is seasonless.. It makes simple soups and stews a complete meal and, even better, you can use the leftovers for homemade stuffings. Basic cornbread is so easy to throw together and is so simple that it just begs to be fiddled with. My Pumpkin Cornbread is one of my favorite all time fall recipes, and zucchini cornbread takes off from that idea. When we had friends for dinner the other night I made Steak Chili and served three kinds of cornbread on the side, pumpkin, zucchini, and plain. This recipe will come in handy during the summer when you’ve got more squash than you know what to do with!
Fair warning — this is a sweet, moist, ‘cakey’ cornbread. Not to be confused with traditional crumbly unsweetened cornbread that Southerners prefer. I think there’s room for both in this world :)
You can cook it in a round cake pan, a cast iron skillet, or a square baker, it’s your call.
Tips for success:
- The fluff/scoop/level method of flour measurement simply means fluff the flour up a bit to loosen it before you fill your measuring cup. Then gently level it off with the side of a knife or your finger. This way you will get a consistent measurement every time.
- Buttermilk keeps for a good long time in the fridge, it’s worth having around for all kinds baking. If you don’t have it, use milk, or make your own buttermilk substitute by adding a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to the milk, and let sit for 10 minutes before using.
- When you measure out the shredded zucchini, pack it down into the cup so you get the right amount. If it is extremely wet, pat it dry with some paper towels.
- Make sure your oven is at 400F before putting the cornbread into the oven, and don’t over bake it.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour measure with the fluff/scoop/and level method
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 packed cup shredded zucchini
- Set oven to 400F
- Sift together the flour, cornbread, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the oil, buttermilk, and shredded zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir until just combined.
- Turn batter into a greased 9" spring form pan. Spread out the batter evenly.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it.