6 Easy Thai Recipes You Can Make at Home ~ all you need is a passion for Thai food and an easily stocked pantry. Grab a few fresh ingredients and you’re set for authentic Thai and Thai inspired recipes any day of the week, no take-in required.
If you think making Thai food is out of your league, I’m here to tell you it’s totally doable. You just need a few essentials easily found in your grocery store. I make a point of keeping all my Thai condiments in one section of my fridge door so I can grab them when the urge strikes. If you pick up a few fresh items on the way home from work, you can have authentic Thai any night of the week!
How to set your kitchen up for easy everyday Thai cooking
SPICES AND CONDIMENTS
(these will keep in the refrigerator for at least a year) Look for the Brand Thai Kitchen, which has all of the condiments below. They’ll all be together in your larger supermarket.
- Thai curry paste ~ buy both the red and green varieties, they come in small jars.
- chili paste ~ this is a hot red chili paste and there are many varieties.
- tamarind paste ~ a thick, sour fruit paste
- lemongrass paste ~ this is a substitute for fresh lemongrass, which can be hard to find.
- fish sauce ~ an umami rich sauce that is quintessential Thai. If you’re vegetarian, substitute Tamari soy sauce.
- soy sauce ~ I like Tamari brand, which happens to be gluten free.
- rice vinegar ~ lighter than regular vinegar
SPICES & PANTRY STAPLES
- coconut milk ~ canned
- rice noodles ~ these come dried, in many varieties
- peanuts, raw or roasted
- peanut butter
- jasmine rice
FRESH HERBS & PRODUCE
- fresh limes
- hot peppers (Thai chili peppers are small and hot, substitute serrano or cayenne which are more easily available)
- basil (Thai basil is most authentic, but regular will do)