Baked Sole in Fresh Tomato Sauce is a healthy, 30-minute, low carb, Whole 30 meal that celebrates the bounty of fresh summer tomatoes! This quick and easy baked fish is ideal for busy weeknights.
I drove myself crazy trying to decide what to do with my 15 minute Fresh Tomato Sauce. It sat in the refrigerator for a couple of days and every time I opened the door I devised a new plan. First I was going to use it to make an ultra-light summer version of spaghetti with tiny meatballs, then a fresh tomato dip for fried zucchini sticks. I briefly considered a Spanish omelet.
But in the end I went with this Mediterranean inspired baked fish. This could be Greek, Spanish, or Italian. It’s so healthy it’s almost ridiculous. It takes just a few minutes to throw together (assuming you’ve already got your sauce) and it’s one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. How often do those three coincide? Except for a drizzle of olive oil right before this hits the oven, this dish is virtually calorie free. And the flavor of the tomato sauce is unbelievable. I’m making it again this week.
This is the first time I’ve used sole this season. The delicacy of the this healthy white fish works well with the lightness of the fresh sauce. I love the contrast between the bright fish, the bright red sauce, and the black olives. I love the little hint of yellow in the lemon rind, and the specks of green thyme leaves.
It helps to serve some crusty bread with this baked sole, because you aren’t going to want to waste any of that sauce left in the pan.
Baked Sole in Fresh Tomato Sauce
- Fresh Tomato Sauce, recipe here
- 2 fillets of sole
- handful of pitted kalamata olives
- a few thin slices of lemon
- sprigs of fresh thyme
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Set oven to 400F
- Spoon a thick layer of sauce into a baking pan. Lay out the fish on top of the sauce. Top with lemon slices, olives, and thyme. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the fish is done, and then run the pan under the broiler for a minute or two to get the whole thing sizzling.