Dark Chocolate Detox Bites

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.

healthy chocolate bites

Dark Chocolate Detox Bites are the healthy way to do dessert ~ these mendiants are made with anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate topped with fruits, nuts, and seeds ~ and they’re just as pretty as they are delicious!

Heart Healthy Dark Chocolate Detox Bites --- embrace dessert!

I’m pretty liberal with my definition of healthy— I think if a food is delicious and whole, that is, unprocessed or minimally processed, it deserves a spot on my table.

I’m not judgmental about eating animal protein as long as the animals are raised humanely.  I’m down with healthy fats and yes, even a little sugar.  But in the interest of keeping a healthy weight, I say no to dessert most of the time.  The problem is that even after a good dinner, I’m sometimes left with a gnawing urge for a little something sweet.  I’m sure it’s purely psychological, but I can’t ignore it…I’ll scrounge around and usually open a bag of chocolate chips in desperation.

dark chocolate super food bites

These little medallions come to my rescue…they’re made with heart healthy extra dark chocolate, and lots of colorful little super foods (dried fruit, nuts, and seeds) sprinkled on top for fun.  If you’re a white chocolate fan, check out my WHITE CHOCOLATE ENERGY BITES, which are a variation on the same theme.  The concept can also be applied to easy-to-make nut-butter cups, like these DETOX DARK CHOCOLATE ALMOND BUTTER CUPS  ~ the possibilities are endless!

I used dried blueberries, cranberries, goji berries, figs, pineapple, mango, papaya, walnuts, pistachios and almonds, hemp seeds and pepitas.

I collected them for color as well as flavor, and all of them have health giving properties, so these little dark chocolate medallions are not only guilt free, you’d be remiss not to include them in your diet!

super foods

Each one of these bites is about 1/3 of an ounce of dark chocolate, so 3 of them would equal a 1 ounce daily dose of heart healthy flavonoids.   Cool, huh?  A definite step up from raiding the chocolate chips.

healthy chocolate bites
If you’re not into the exotic variety here, just use chopped nuts, or raisins, they’ll be great.

Heart Healthy Dark Chocolate Detox Bites --- embrace dessert!

Think of this as an experiment in mindful snacking

It starts by appreciating the blobs of glossy chocolate as they find their unique shapes on the parchment, and then the random patterns of colorful fruits, nuts, and seeds as they sink into the warm surface.

Heart healthy dark chocolate bites

Your enjoyment of each crunchy, chewy, chocolatey bite will be heightened even further by the knowledge that you’ve embraced dessert as a powerful friend and ally, rather than the enemy…

stacked dark chocolate detox medallions

and don’t forget your healthy glass of red wine to go along with your bites :)

dark chocolate detox bites

Melting chocolate can be tricky–check out my post on TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MELTING CHOCOLATE to get it right!

Dark Chocolate Super Bites
Rate this recipe
3 ratings

Yield: makes approximately 2 dozen bites

Dark Chocolate Super Bites

• about 8 oz of dark chocolate, I used Trader Joe's 73% Super Dark chocolate bars (the higher the percentage of cacao the better)
  • assorted dried fruits, chopped nuts, and seeds

1. Lay out a piece of parchment paper, or waxed paper, or foil.
  2. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and put in a microwave safe glass measuring cup. Microwave for 60 seconds, and then stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds, and then stir again to completely melt the chocolate. If there are still lumps, microwave for another short burst and stir again.
  3. Use a spoon to make small rounds of chocolate onto the parchment paper. Let the chocolate fall from the spoon and it will naturally form a more or less round shape. You can nudge it with your spoon if you like. Work with one at a time, and sprinkle each round of chocolate with an assortment of your healthy add-ins while the chocolate is still hot. Make them whatever size you like, but mine were about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
  4. Let the chocolate set at room temperature, or put the bites in the refrigerator to speed things up. If you plan to refrigerate the medallions it helps to put the parchment right on a baking sheet or tray so you can transfer it straight to the fridge.

Don’t forget to pin these Dark Chocolate Detox Bites!

Dark Chocolate Detox Bites are the healthy way to do dessert, with anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate topped with fruits, nuts, and seeds ~ and they're just as pretty as they are delicious! #darkchocolate #healthydessert #chocolate #candy #detox #superfoods #snack #dessert #candy #homemadecandy #mendiants

Cindy
    February 16, 2018 at 11:21 am

Oh my goodness!! (Literally!) I cannot wait to try these – they look absolutely awesome!!!

jenny
    February 8, 2018 at 9:38 am

Wow, these are just so pretty, and I can just imagine all the combinations you could make! Such a great way to use up leftover amounts of dried fruit and nuts, too!

Tamara
    February 12, 2017 at 8:32 am

How to store them, in which type of container? I think they would taste better with a bit of a crunch. I dont want them to soften while storing.

February 12, 2017 at 11:12 am

I would store them in the refrigerator, Tamara.

A ginger-vegan
        September 21, 2017 at 3:45 am

Hi! Love the blog! One thing though. All animals, whether they’re treated badly from the beginning, or later in life, all end up at the same place. Which is The slaughter house. No animals want to die. Humane is a myth.

Georgia
    January 12, 2017 at 11:11 am

What a fantastic idea. I look forward to making some.

Billie
    December 30, 2016 at 2:37 am

They look really lovely, but I couldn’t help but laugh at the name. You’ve made a classical French sweet – mediants. Add a few buzzwords and all of a sudden it’s a paleo superfood. Great marketing ?

December 30, 2016 at 7:54 am

Yes, the name was definitely meant partly in jest ~ but you have to agree, the whole package is pretty healthy!

Cheska
    December 4, 2016 at 1:14 am

Hi. I plan on giving these as gifts and I was just wondering, if you take them out of the fridge/freezer, will these melt quickly once they leave the fridge/freezer? Thank you

December 4, 2016 at 11:10 am

They won’t melt, Cheska, but they do need to be kept at a relatively cool temperature or they will become soft-ish. Regular room temperature is fine.

joepy
    November 17, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Hi Sue, I really love your idea about this heavenly bites Dark chocolates detox. Sounds new and looks so yummy to me. Thanks I found your blog. Can’t wait to try and this nice for a holiday presents.

November 18, 2016 at 8:20 am

Hope you enjoy them!

Jean
    October 14, 2016 at 9:03 am

I can’t wait to try these, and looks like they’ll make perfect gifts around the holidays too. Love how you’ve incorporated all those colors – as they say, eat the rainbow!

October 14, 2016 at 9:12 am

Let us know what you think, Jean :)

Paola
    September 16, 2016 at 12:17 pm

I made these! They were so yummi! I used dried pineapple, papayas and bananas! However, I live in Costa Rica and it’s humid and warm most of the time and they melted in the hand of everyone that grabbed one! It was so sad! What can I add to the chocolate to make it stay hard outside the fridge?

September 16, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Unfortunately Paola, chocolate tends to melt in warm temperatures. I can only suggest serving it straight from the refrigerator if you live in a very warm climate. You can temper your chocolate which will help to keep it solid at a slightly higher temperature, but that is fairly difficult to do, here are directions: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/how-to-temper-chocolate-356869

Janelle
        January 22, 2017 at 2:37 am

Could you not add melted copha to it like choc crackles?

January 22, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Hi Janelle, I had to ‘google’ copha because I haven’t heard of it! Since I’ve never used it I’m afraid I can’t help you, but please let us know if you try, and how it works out.

Diane
    August 29, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Hello – how long will these last if I make them ahead of time for a special party? Should I refrigerate them or keep them at room temperature? They look amazing!!

mohammad
    July 16, 2016 at 6:41 am

I like your site . thank you

katrina
    May 30, 2016 at 3:48 am

OMG….not sure why it took me so long to make them….but they were so quick and simple…and must be delish, as i had 20 little circles, and only 3 left..i need to talk to my husband…hahaha

August 16, 2016 at 9:32 am

You need to make a double batch next time!

Charlie
    April 16, 2016 at 8:56 am

Hi Sue:
    Could you share what fruit and nuts you used?
    Just curious.
    These look so good and I will definitely be making them.

April 16, 2016 at 9:56 am

I used dried blueberries, cranberries, goji berries, figs, pineapple, mango, and papaya. Walnuts, pistachios and almonds, hemp seeds and pepitas.

Charlie
        April 16, 2016 at 11:45 am

Thank you!

Katie
        June 14, 2016 at 6:08 pm

These look awesome! Were all of those ingredients dried? And if they are, where did you find them? I can’t seem to find gobi berries anywhere and dried blueberries and pineapples are hard to find! Thanks

June 14, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Yes, they are all dried, and I got most if not all of them at Trader Joe’s Katie.

Sarah
        July 28, 2016 at 2:30 am

Did you buy those as a mix? If so what brand? Or did you purchase them all separately?

July 28, 2016 at 6:26 am

They were separate, Sarah, but a mix would make this so easy, I know Trader Joe’s has lots of interesting trail mix type ready made blends.

Mary
    March 19, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Hi Sue
    Just curious about where you found the marijuana seeds and did you get a buzz from eating them?

March 19, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Those little hemp seeds are super nutritious and don’t cause any psychotropic effects Mary!

Amanda
    March 17, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Hi there! I know this is an older post, but would you happen to know if you could make these without using the tj chocolate bar? For example, I make my own chocolate bars using dark cocoa powder and honey, but they have to always be refrigerated to hold their shape. Do you know of a way to make these totally from scratch where they would hold their shape without being in the fridge all day? I will do more digging, but would appreciate your feedback.

March 17, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I don’t know, Amanda, I haven’t made my own chocolate…yet! It’s on my to-do list though. Let me know what you come up with!

Amanda
        March 18, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Thanks for responding! It looks like I could use the recipe I have for my chocolate bars and just make sure they don’t get warm. The main ingredient that keeps them together is coconut oil. I do this to control the amount and type of sugar and to eliminate any soy. I plan on whipping these up this weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thank you!

March 18, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Thanks Amanda!

Kelly
          July 10, 2016 at 10:08 am

Would a small amount of paraffin keep them solid at room temp?

Slava
          August 16, 2016 at 8:49 am

Howuch coconut oil do you use? Do you just mix it in the melted chocolate? Without it they do melt at room temp
          Thanks

Paul Hannah
    March 13, 2016 at 11:23 pm

Which part of this is detoxing? Will it detox me or has the toxins been taken out of it?

Lalla
    March 5, 2016 at 9:41 am

I love this idea, thank you, great photo’s too!
    “I’m not judgmental about eating animal protein as long as the animals are raised humanely”
    But! And! Wow (!!) so casual about the lives of animals though! Have you seen these documentaries: Forks over Knives / Earthlings / Cowspiracy ? There is no such thing as ‘raising an animal humanely, or slaughtering them humanely. Please watch this short 5 min Ytube vid on the dairy industry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcN7SGGoCNI Life Changing!

March 5, 2016 at 10:22 am

I hear you Lalla. It’s one of life’s great dilemmas.

Sally @gooddinnermom.com
    February 12, 2016 at 8:39 am

Sue, I am with you in your definition of healthy. And these look healthy/delicious/amazing! My husband’s view is a bit more strict but I know he’ll love these as well if I leave more of the fruit off of his pieces. Great photos, love your “view” of everything here. I might try to make these heart shape for Sunday ;).

February 12, 2016 at 9:03 am

Thanks Sally, what a nice comment. I think you could load up your husband’s ‘bites’ with nuts!

Debbie
    January 18, 2016 at 6:13 am

Hi,
    I love the look of these, so I made them, but they developed a funny looking bloom on the chocolate. They tasted good, but looked unattractive!
    Any tips? Seems like a lot of work to temper chocolate just for these quick treats.

Andrea
      December 2, 2016 at 1:20 pm

yes!! mine turned out a funny texture too! I wondered if i heated them too much? did I use the wrong kind of chocolate or something?!? I dunno. Like yours mine were delicious but unattractive lol

Bita
    December 26, 2015 at 8:40 am

Oh my! I love the look of these things – Fruits and nuts are my favorite type of treat. You did a fantastic job of choosing brightly colored tropical fruit along with the green in the pistachios. Your photos are so beautiful here! Ok, you got me – I’m making these!! They look like they would make lovely gifts for a dinner party host type of thing as well. As a health coach I recommend Kind bars to families who aren’t ready to kick the power bar habit….these are even better because you know exactly what’s in them when you make them yourself. Thank you thank you! – cheers and hugs, Bita

December 26, 2015 at 8:59 am

Thanks for the sweet comments Bita :)

1 2 3 4