Dark Chocolate Mendiants

chocolate mediants topped with superfoods

Dark chocolate mendiants are the healthy way to do dessert ~ these melt in your mouth medallions are made with anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate topped with colorful dried fruits, nuts, and seeds ~ they’re just as pretty as they are delicious!

dark chocolate mendiants topped with nuts, seeds, and dried fruits

dark chocolate mendiants are a healthy homemade candy

I’m pretty liberal with my definition of healthy— I think if a food is delicious and whole (that is, unprocessed or minimally processed,) it deserves a spot on my table.

I’m not judgmental about eating animal protein as long as the animals are raised humanely. I’m down with healthy fats and yes, even a little sugar. But in the interest of keeping a healthy weight, I say no to dessert most of the time. The problem is that even after a good dinner, I’m sometimes left with a gnawing urge for a little something sweet. I’m sure it’s purely psychological, but I can’t ignore it…I’ll scrounge around and eventually open a bag of chocolate chips, if I can’t find anything else 🙂

dark chocolate super food mendiants

what are chocolate mendiants?

Mendiants are simply round ‘medallions’ or ‘coins’ of chocolate, topped with various fruits and nuts. They’re a French Christmas tradition, and super easy to make at home. Mine are made with heart healthy extra dark chocolate, with lots of colorful little super foods (dried fruit, nuts, and seeds) sprinkled on top for fun. If you’re a white chocolate fan, check out my White chocolate Energy Bites, which are a variation on the same theme. The concept can also be applied to easy-to-make nut-butter cups, like these Detox Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups  ~ the possibilities are endless!

topping ideas for chocolate mendiants

• dried blueberries
  • almonds
  • hemp seeds
  • pepitas
  • flax seeds
  • poppy seeds
  • coconut

I collected them for color as well as flavor, and all of them have health giving properties, so these little dark chocolate medallions are not only guilt free, you’d be remiss not to include them in your diet!

super food ingredients on a plate to be made into dark chocolate detox bites

how much dark chocolate is should you eat?

Medical experts agree that 1-2 ounces of dark chocolate a day is not only ok, it’s good for you. Just make sure you’re eating actual dark chocolate, with at least 70% cocoa solids. The flavanols in cocoa have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, with wide reaching benefits for your heart. Just be sure you aren’t eating too much chocolate, because in this case, more isn’t better!

Each one of these bites is about 1/3 of an ounce of dark chocolate, so 3 of them would equal a 1 ounce daily dose of heart healthy flavonoids. Cool, huh?

healthy chocolate coins on parchment paper

vary these candies according to your taste

If you’re not into the exotic variety here, just use chopped nuts, or raisins, they’ll be great, and just as healthy.

Heart Healthy Dark Chocolate Mendiants topped with colorful fruits and nuts

think of this as an experiment in mindful snacking

It starts by appreciating the blobs of glossy molten chocolate as they find their unique shapes on the parchment paper. Then focus on the random patterns of colorful fruits, nuts, and seeds as they’ve sunk into the warm surface.

Heart healthy dark chocolate mendiants

Your enjoyment of each crunchy, chewy, chocolatey bite will be heightened even further by the knowledge that you’ve embraced dessert as a powerful friend and ally, rather than as an enemy…

stacked dark chocolate medallions

tips for making chocolate medallions

What’s the best chocolate for mendiants?

Good quality bar chocolate is the best base for these chocolate coins. The darker the better! Read your labels, the higher percentage of cacao, the healthier it will be. Try to find a minimum of 70%.

Chop your chocolate into small bits before melting

This helps the chocolate melt quickly, with the least amount of heat. Too much heat can cause chocolate to seize.

Can you use chocolate chips for these candies?

Yes, I’ve done that. Ghirardelli makes good bittersweet chips. Chocolate chips melt to a slightly thicker consistency than bar chocolate, but they can be used. They’re convenient because there’s no chopping necessary.

Make sure your toppings are fresh

Nuts, seeds, and dried fruit do not last forever in the back of your pantry, so be sure to check that they’re fresh before topping your chocolate. Better yet, invest in fresh ingredients for this special treat.

Storing your mendiants

Your chocolates will last up to 3 weeks at room temperature, or in the fridge. You can freeze them as well for longer storage.

Make these mendiants keto friendly

Just melt your favorite keto chocolate bar for a low carb version.

dark chocolate mendiants topped with  colorful toppings

“OMG….not sure why it took me so long to make them….but they were so quick and simple…and must be delish, as I had 20 little circles, and only 3 left…I need to talk to my husband…hahaha.”

Katrina

more chocolate…

Dark chocolate detox bites.

Dark Chocolate Mendiants

Dark Chocolate Mendiants are the healthy way to do dessert ~ these medallions are made with anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate topped with fruits, nuts, and seeds ~ and they're just as pretty as they are delicious!
Course Dessert
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Yield 24 mendiants
Calories 57kcal

Equipment

• parchment paper

• 8 ounces dark chocolate I used Trader Joe’s 73% Super Dark chocolate bars (the higher the percentage of cacao the better)
  • assorted dried fruits, chopped in small pieces
  • chopped nuts such as almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pecans
  • seeds like sesame, poppy, hemp, flax, etc.

• Lay out a piece of parchment paper, or waxed paper, or foil.
  • Chop the chocolate into small pieces and put in a microwave safe glass bowl or measuring cup. Microwave for 60 seconds, and then stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds, and then stir again to completely melt the chocolate. If there are still lumps, microwave for another short burst and stir again.
  • Use a spoon to drop small rounds of chocolate onto the parchment paper. Let the chocolate fall from the spoon and it will naturally form a more or less round shape. You can nudge it with your spoon if you like. Work with one at a time, and sprinkle each round of chocolate with an assortment of your healthy add-ins while the chocolate is still hot. Make them whatever size you like, but mine were about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
  • Let the chocolate set at room temperature, or put the bites in the refrigerator to speed things up. If you plan to refrigerate the medallions it helps to put the parchment right on a baking sheet or tray so you can transfer it straight to the fridge.
  • Store the mendiants at room temperature, or in the fridge. They'll last for at least 3 weeks. You can also freeze them.

Nutrition

Calories: 57kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 68mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4IU | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg
email sign up prompt

Diane
    August 29, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Hello – how long will these last if I make them ahead of time for a special party? Should I refrigerate them or keep them at room temperature? They look amazing!!

katrina
    May 30, 2016 at 3:48 am

OMG….not sure why it took me so long to make them….but they were so quick and simple…and must be delish, as i had 20 little circles, and only 3 left..i need to talk to my husband…hahaha

August 16, 2016 at 9:32 am

You need to make a double batch next time!

Charlie
    April 16, 2016 at 8:56 am

Hi Sue:
    Could you share what fruit and nuts you used?
    Just curious.
    These look so good and I will definitely be making them.

April 16, 2016 at 9:56 am

I used dried blueberries, cranberries, goji berries, figs, pineapple, mango, and papaya. Walnuts, pistachios and almonds, hemp seeds and pepitas.

Charlie
        April 16, 2016 at 11:45 am

Thank you!

Katie
        June 14, 2016 at 6:08 pm

These look awesome! Were all of those ingredients dried? And if they are, where did you find them? I can’t seem to find gobi berries anywhere and dried blueberries and pineapples are hard to find! Thanks

June 14, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Yes, they are all dried, and I got most if not all of them at Trader Joe’s Katie.

Sarah
        July 28, 2016 at 2:30 am

Did you buy those as a mix? If so what brand? Or did you purchase them all separately?

July 28, 2016 at 6:26 am

They were separate, Sarah, but a mix would make this so easy, I know Trader Joe’s has lots of interesting trail mix type ready made blends.

Mary
    March 19, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Hi Sue
    Just curious about where you found the marijuana seeds and did you get a buzz from eating them?

March 19, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Those little hemp seeds are super nutritious and don’t cause any psychotropic effects Mary!

Amanda
    March 17, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Hi there! I know this is an older post, but would you happen to know if you could make these without using the tj chocolate bar? For example, I make my own chocolate bars using dark cocoa powder and honey, but they have to always be refrigerated to hold their shape. Do you know of a way to make these totally from scratch where they would hold their shape without being in the fridge all day? I will do more digging, but would appreciate your feedback.

March 17, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I don’t know, Amanda, I haven’t made my own chocolate…yet! It’s on my to-do list though. Let me know what you come up with!

Amanda
        March 18, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Thanks for responding! It looks like I could use the recipe I have for my chocolate bars and just make sure they don’t get warm. The main ingredient that keeps them together is coconut oil. I do this to control the amount and type of sugar and to eliminate any soy. I plan on whipping these up this weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thank you!

March 18, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Thanks Amanda!

Kelly
          July 10, 2016 at 10:08 am

Would a small amount of paraffin keep them solid at room temp?

Slava
          August 16, 2016 at 8:49 am

Howuch coconut oil do you use? Do you just mix it in the melted chocolate? Without it they do melt at room temp
          Thanks

Paul Hannah
    March 13, 2016 at 11:23 pm

Which part of this is detoxing? Will it detox me or has the toxins been taken out of it?

Lalla
    March 5, 2016 at 9:41 am

I love this idea, thank you, great photo’s too!
    “I’m not judgmental about eating animal protein as long as the animals are raised humanely”
    But! And! Wow (!!) so casual about the lives of animals though! Have you seen these documentaries: Forks over Knives / Earthlings / Cowspiracy ? There is no such thing as ‘raising an animal humanely, or slaughtering them humanely. Please watch this short 5 min Ytube vid on the dairy industry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcN7SGGoCNI Life Changing!

March 5, 2016 at 10:22 am

I hear you Lalla. It’s one of life’s great dilemmas.

Sally @gooddinnermom.com
    February 12, 2016 at 8:39 am

Sue, I am with you in your definition of healthy. And these look healthy/delicious/amazing! My husband’s view is a bit more strict but I know he’ll love these as well if I leave more of the fruit off of his pieces. Great photos, love your “view” of everything here. I might try to make these heart shape for Sunday ;).

February 12, 2016 at 9:03 am

Thanks Sally, what a nice comment. I think you could load up your husband’s ‘bites’ with nuts!

Debbie
    January 18, 2016 at 6:13 am

Hi,
    I love the look of these, so I made them, but they developed a funny looking bloom on the chocolate. They tasted good, but looked unattractive!
    Any tips? Seems like a lot of work to temper chocolate just for these quick treats.

Andrea
      December 2, 2016 at 1:20 pm

yes!! mine turned out a funny texture too! I wondered if i heated them too much? did I use the wrong kind of chocolate or something?!? I dunno. Like yours mine were delicious but unattractive lol

Bita
    December 26, 2015 at 8:40 am

Oh my! I love the look of these things – Fruits and nuts are my favorite type of treat. You did a fantastic job of choosing brightly colored tropical fruit along with the green in the pistachios. Your photos are so beautiful here! Ok, you got me – I’m making these!! They look like they would make lovely gifts for a dinner party host type of thing as well. As a health coach I recommend Kind bars to families who aren’t ready to kick the power bar habit….these are even better because you know exactly what’s in them when you make them yourself. Thank you thank you! – cheers and hugs, Bita

December 26, 2015 at 8:59 am