Dark Chocolate Detox Bites

healthy chocolate bites

Dark Chocolate Detox Bites are the healthy way to do dessert ~ these mendiants are made with anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate topped with fruits, nuts, and seeds ~ and they’re just as pretty as they are delicious!

Dark Chocolate Super Food Medallions

I’m pretty liberal with my definition of healthy— I think if a food is delicious and whole, that is, unprocessed or minimally processed, it deserves a spot on my table.

I’m not judgmental about eating animal protein as long as the animals are raised humanely.  I’m down with healthy fats and yes, even a little sugar.  But in the interest of keeping a healthy weight, I say no to dessert most of the time.  The problem is that even after a good dinner, I’m sometimes left with a gnawing urge for a little something sweet.  I’m sure it’s purely psychological, but I can’t ignore it…I’ll scrounge around and usually open a bag of chocolate chips in desperation.

dark chocolate super food bites

These little medallions come to my rescue…they’re made with heart healthy extra dark chocolate, and lots of colorful little super foods (dried fruit, nuts, and seeds) sprinkled on top for fun.  If you’re a white chocolate fan, check out my WHITE CHOCOLATE ENERGY BITES, which are a variation on the same theme.  The concept can also be applied to easy-to-make nut-butter cups, like these DETOX DARK CHOCOLATE ALMOND BUTTER CUPS  ~ the possibilities are endless!

I used dried blueberries, cranberries, goji berries, figs, pineapple, mango, papaya, walnuts, pistachios and almonds, hemp seeds and pepitas.

I collected them for color as well as flavor, and all of them have health giving properties, so these little dark chocolate medallions are not only guilt free, you’d be remiss not to include them in your diet!

super foods

Each one of these bites is about 1/3 of an ounce of dark chocolate, so 3 of them would equal a 1 ounce daily dose of heart healthy flavonoids.   Cool, huh?  A definite step up from raiding the chocolate chips.

healthy chocolate bites
If you’re not into the exotic variety here, just use chopped nuts, or raisins, they’ll be great.

Heart Healthy Dark Chocolate Detox Bites --- embrace dessert!

Think of this as an experiment in mindful snacking

It starts by appreciating the blobs of glossy chocolate as they find their unique shapes on the parchment, and then the random patterns of colorful fruits, nuts, and seeds as they sink into the warm surface.

Heart healthy dark chocolate bites

Your enjoyment of each crunchy, chewy, chocolatey bite will be heightened even further by the knowledge that you’ve embraced dessert as a powerful friend and ally, rather than the enemy…

stacked dark chocolate detox medallions

and don’t forget your healthy glass of red wine to go along with your bites :)

dark chocolate detox bites

Melting chocolate can be tricky–check out my post on TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MELTING CHOCOLATE to get it right!

Dark Chocolate Super Bites

Yield: makes approximately 2 dozen bites

Dark Chocolate Super Bites

• about 8 oz of dark chocolate, I used Trader Joe's 73% Super Dark chocolate bars (the higher the percentage of cacao the better)
  • assorted dried fruits, chopped nuts, and seeds

1. Lay out a piece of parchment paper, or waxed paper, or foil.
  2. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and put in a microwave safe glass measuring cup. Microwave for 60 seconds, and then stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds, and then stir again to completely melt the chocolate. If there are still lumps, microwave for another short burst and stir again.
  3. Use a spoon to make small rounds of chocolate onto the parchment paper. Let the chocolate fall from the spoon and it will naturally form a more or less round shape. You can nudge it with your spoon if you like. Work with one at a time, and sprinkle each round of chocolate with an assortment of your healthy add-ins while the chocolate is still hot. Make them whatever size you like, but mine were about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
  4. Let the chocolate set at room temperature, or put the bites in the refrigerator to speed things up. If you plan to refrigerate the medallions it helps to put the parchment right on a baking sheet or tray so you can transfer it straight to the fridge.

Don’t forget to pin these Dark Chocolate Detox Bites!

Dark Chocolate Detox Bites are the healthy way to do dessert, with anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate topped with fruits, nuts, and seeds ~ and they're just as pretty as they are delicious! #darkchocolate #healthydessert #chocolate #candy #detox #superfoods #snack #dessert #candy #homemadecandy #mendiants

Tabitha
    January 21, 2015 at 9:45 am

How delicious, I will finally get to visit a Trader Joe’s next week!

denise@magnoliaverandah
    January 19, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Yes always looking for a mid evening sweet. These look like the perfect answer.

Velva
    January 19, 2015 at 6:43 pm

I love your philosophy on food and I definitely love these dark chocolate super bites. Still, I could not eay just one :-)

Velva

margaret
    January 19, 2015 at 3:10 pm

This is a dream come true…sugar and salt!

CakeSpy
    January 19, 2015 at 2:51 pm

This is officially my favorite type of detox.

Susan
    January 19, 2015 at 9:49 am

I love the way you do detox, Sue! These are absolutely beautiful and I love the ‘jewel’s you chose to adorn them. I’m a huge dark chocolate fan and bread off one square of 60% cocoa chocolate for my after lunch treat. I’d much prefer one of these :) I’ll be on the hunt for some pretty little bits like yours to try.

grace
    January 19, 2015 at 7:44 am

these are, without question, the prettiest edibles i’ve ever seen. they’re like pieces of stunning jewelry! and they must be delicious! kudos, sue. kudos.

January 19, 2015 at 9:44 am

Ha — I think they’d make great earrings ;)

Dom
    January 19, 2015 at 6:46 am

yeah me too… if they make me feel good then they’re good for me!… these are adorable and so pretty. I doubt they’d last long if I made something similar!

January 19, 2015 at 7:27 am

Thanks Dom!

Jennifer @ Seasons and Suppers
    January 19, 2015 at 6:23 am

These are perfection and what a great way to have a bite of chocolate without guilt :)

Elizabeth
    January 19, 2015 at 4:07 am

Your detox is much, much better than my detox, Sue! These are beautiful – all those dried fruits look like little jewels. I can’t wait to try these with dried blueberries and pistachios.

January 19, 2015 at 7:29 am

That would be a gorgeous combination, this is the first time I’ve tried dried blueberries and they’re great — I think dried fruit in general is really fun these days, there are so many to choose from!

Barbara
    January 19, 2015 at 3:40 am

My dad used to keep one of those big bars of chocolate in the freezer and every night he would break off a small piece. Not a speck more.
    I’m not a huge chocolate fan, but your “healthy bites” are truly tempting. Clever idea to use the extra dark chocolate (which my daughter swears by) along with the healthy toppings. The photos are divine, Sue, as always. Think I better pin! :)

January 19, 2015 at 7:30 am

Your dad was ahead of his time! Thanks Barbara <3

mimi
    January 19, 2015 at 2:08 am

These look like heaven! I’m going to try this today! Thank you for your never-failing inspiration. I share your food-philosophy, but I have to admit that too often when my workload felt prohibitive I have found myself resorting to quick-and-easy-but-not-very-healthy-or-appealing options. Since discovering your website I’m enjoying being in the kitchen again – and most of what I’m making are either your recipes, or my own “experiments” that have been inspired by them. You’ve been a life changer for me and I’m very grateful. Your post is the first thing I check for each day :-)

January 19, 2015 at 7:33 am

I’m reading this with my morning coffee Mimi — what a way to start the day, thanks for the pat on the back. Blogging is like any other job, it has its ups and downs, but comments like yours definitely make it worthwhile :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    January 18, 2015 at 10:33 pm

If this is healthy, I’m all in! Love all the textures, what a perfect way to satisfy a chocolate craving!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust
    January 18, 2015 at 6:48 pm

I can eat chocolate and detox and be somewhat healthy. Oh my gosh!! What a great recipe. Pinned!

Carol+at+Wild+Goose+Tea
    January 18, 2015 at 6:41 pm

I have that gnawing after lunch for some reason. A single Hersey kiss can put it to rest. These would be lovely. I know you made a great case for healthy. But they look too good for that category—HA! They are gorgeous. I think you may a new
    Xmas treat on your hands actually. They look so festive.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert
    January 18, 2015 at 5:56 pm

I love what you did here! The nuts and fruit combined with the dark chocolate – I believe it would cure those cravings that send me into the kitchen looking for an open bag of chocolate chips. Love it! They are so pretty too.

Amy
    January 18, 2015 at 3:52 pm

I am also a chocolate chipper, I must confess. Sue, you make these sound on par with broccoli or spinach .. you’ve convinced me I would be doing myself a real disservice NOT to eat one or two or three. Love the photos, especially the one where they’re stacked up!

January 18, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Thanks Amy, we need to join chocolate chippers anonymous…

Liz+@+Floating+Kitchen
    January 18, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I feel very unsettled at the end of the day if I haven’t had a little something sweet. And I have definitely dug into the rouge bag of chocolate chips on many occasions! These colorful little bites seems like a much better option! YUM!

January 18, 2015 at 3:30 pm

I’m glad I’m not alone in my chocolate chip habit ;)

Angie@Angie's+Recipes
    January 18, 2015 at 11:22 am

These chocolate bites look so beautiful!

January 18, 2015 at 11:48 am

Thanks Angie —I definitely eat with my eyes!

MoniQue
    January 18, 2015 at 9:06 am

I may have found my substitute for Trader Joes Extravaganza bar and more.
    We picked up that bar in Fl in Nov.It is always limited to Christmas I read.we have one square left.
    Your medallions are far prettier.

January 18, 2015 at 9:19 am

I’ve never had one, now I’m going to have to hunt them down!

1 2 3 4