Dark Chocolate Detox Bites

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.

healthy chocolate bites

Dark Chocolate Detox Bites are the healthy way to do dessert ~ these mendiants are made with anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate topped with fruits, nuts, and seeds ~ and they’re just as pretty as they are delicious!

Heart Healthy Dark Chocolate Detox Bites --- embrace dessert!

I’m pretty liberal with my definition of healthy— I think if a food is delicious and whole, that is, unprocessed or minimally processed, it deserves a spot on my table.

I’m not judgmental about eating animal protein as long as the animals are raised humanely.  I’m down with healthy fats and yes, even a little sugar.  But in the interest of keeping a healthy weight, I say no to dessert most of the time.  The problem is that even after a good dinner, I’m sometimes left with a gnawing urge for a little something sweet.  I’m sure it’s purely psychological, but I can’t ignore it…I’ll scrounge around and usually open a bag of chocolate chips in desperation.

dark chocolate super food bites

These little medallions come to my rescue…they’re made with heart healthy extra dark chocolate, and lots of colorful little super foods (dried fruit, nuts, and seeds) sprinkled on top for fun.  If you’re a white chocolate fan, check out my WHITE CHOCOLATE ENERGY BITES, which are a variation on the same theme.  The concept can also be applied to easy-to-make nut-butter cups, like these DETOX DARK CHOCOLATE ALMOND BUTTER CUPS  ~ the possibilities are endless!

I used dried blueberries, cranberries, goji berries, figs, pineapple, mango, papaya, walnuts, pistachios and almonds, hemp seeds and pepitas.

I collected them for color as well as flavor, and all of them have health giving properties, so these little dark chocolate medallions are not only guilt free, you’d be remiss not to include them in your diet!

super foods

Each one of these bites is about 1/3 of an ounce of dark chocolate, so 3 of them would equal a 1 ounce daily dose of heart healthy flavonoids.   Cool, huh?  A definite step up from raiding the chocolate chips.

healthy chocolate bites
If you’re not into the exotic variety here, just use chopped nuts, or raisins, they’ll be great.

Heart Healthy Dark Chocolate Detox Bites --- embrace dessert!

Think of this as an experiment in mindful snacking

It starts by appreciating the blobs of glossy chocolate as they find their unique shapes on the parchment, and then the random patterns of colorful fruits, nuts, and seeds as they sink into the warm surface.

Heart healthy dark chocolate bites

Your enjoyment of each crunchy, chewy, chocolatey bite will be heightened even further by the knowledge that you’ve embraced dessert as a powerful friend and ally, rather than the enemy…

stacked dark chocolate detox medallions

and don’t forget your healthy glass of red wine to go along with your bites :)

dark chocolate detox bites

Melting chocolate can be tricky–check out my post on TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MELTING CHOCOLATE to get it right!

Dark Chocolate Super Bites
Rate this recipe
3 ratings

Yield: makes approximately 2 dozen bites

Dark Chocolate Super Bites

• about 8 oz of dark chocolate, I used Trader Joe's 73% Super Dark chocolate bars (the higher the percentage of cacao the better)
  • assorted dried fruits, chopped nuts, and seeds

1. Lay out a piece of parchment paper, or waxed paper, or foil.
  2. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and put in a microwave safe glass measuring cup. Microwave for 60 seconds, and then stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds, and then stir again to completely melt the chocolate. If there are still lumps, microwave for another short burst and stir again.
  3. Use a spoon to make small rounds of chocolate onto the parchment paper. Let the chocolate fall from the spoon and it will naturally form a more or less round shape. You can nudge it with your spoon if you like. Work with one at a time, and sprinkle each round of chocolate with an assortment of your healthy add-ins while the chocolate is still hot. Make them whatever size you like, but mine were about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
  4. Let the chocolate set at room temperature, or put the bites in the refrigerator to speed things up. If you plan to refrigerate the medallions it helps to put the parchment right on a baking sheet or tray so you can transfer it straight to the fridge.

Don’t forget to pin these Dark Chocolate Detox Bites!

Dark Chocolate Detox Bites are the healthy way to do dessert, with anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate topped with fruits, nuts, and seeds ~ and they're just as pretty as they are delicious! #darkchocolate #healthydessert #chocolate #candy #detox #superfoods #snack #dessert #candy #homemadecandy #mendiants

Kate
    September 30, 2015 at 9:54 am

Thanks for the recipe Sue, they turned out great. Made them for my gym’s closeout potluck and they were hit :) wish I could add a pic!

September 30, 2015 at 10:41 am

Post it on my facebook page, Kate — I’ll share it!

Cheryl Hockey
    September 10, 2015 at 7:30 am

What a great recipe idea. I have to try these. Thank you:))

Lynn M.
    September 7, 2015 at 6:42 pm

I see a lot of recipes, but there aren’t many that make me excited. This one does! It is Monday night and Friday’s are my night for special treats. It’s going to be a LONG 4 days waiting!

September 7, 2015 at 8:30 pm

I hope you enjoy them, Lynn :)

D
    September 5, 2015 at 1:30 pm

These were simple and elegant. Im going to box some up for Xmas or Thank you or Hostess gifts.

Melissa
    August 21, 2015 at 8:27 pm

I followed the recipe exactly and these were beautiful and delicious. I just made them again but faster and without all the mess. I used Lindt 90% cocoa bars and melted the squares on a baking tray lined with parchment, then placed in a very slow oven until just melted. Meanwhile, I portioned out the fruits and nuts into paper cupcake liners, the stiff ones that hold their shape. When the chocolate was ready I slowly tipped the contents of each paper cup onto the melted squares. All up it took only 15 minutes and the melted chocolate spread into rounds when the toppings were added. These were just as beautiful as the first round. I think I’m officially hooked!

August 21, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Brilliant :)

Melissa
        August 23, 2015 at 6:44 am

Thanks Sue! I hoped I wasn’t stepping on your toes since your original idea is so very fabulous. The simple truth is that treats this special seem to leave my kitchen before I notice, let alone have time to replenish. Thanks again for this splendid idea & perfect combination of flavours.

Brooke
    July 31, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Great choices of fruits and nuts to pair with these bites! They look incredibly delicious! :)

Sara
    July 15, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Oh my, how gorgeous are these?! Thank you so much for sharing, Carolyn!

Patti bourque
    July 2, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Will try

Amanda
    May 14, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Are you kidding me?! I made these last night and they came out looking just as beautiful and (I’m sure just as) delicious as yours! I need to find me some goji berries…. Top notch… why didn’t I think of this before? Glad you did the thinking for me! ;-)

May 14, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Yay!

Nan
    May 13, 2015 at 8:52 pm

i think you have just saved me from eating everything stale in my pantry!! I have dark chocolate, dried fruit and nuts…and it’s just about time for my late night feeding!! Thank you!!

May 14, 2015 at 10:09 am

Enjoy!

Joan
    May 3, 2015 at 10:17 am

All those great ingredients and then you use a microwave? The snack idea is great, but the method is oh, so bad. Try using a double boiler or a glass bowl over a simmering pan of water. It is just as fast or faster than the microwave method.
    Microwave ovens give off radiation and high EMF’s; don’t use them.

Ashley Vincent
    April 23, 2015 at 11:12 am

errmergerd… these are what’s been missing in my life! i mean, diet. these look so amazing, I’m so glad I found your pin! definitely making these ASAP!

mad sad
    April 9, 2015 at 12:12 pm

i like dark chocolate

Matea
    March 31, 2015 at 4:34 am

This is so my kind of snack! Have to make these soon :)

Doreen Ifkovits
    March 4, 2015 at 11:04 am

Does your dried fruit have added sugar? I’ve never really purchased dried fruit before, and I everything I see has added sugar. I’m just wondering what you use.

March 4, 2015 at 1:32 pm

I try to find dried fruit that hasn’t been sweetened, Doreen, but cranberries, for instance, almost always have some sweetener added. Your best bet is a Whole Foods store, or other health food store for completely sugar free dried fruits.

Jules @ WolfItDown
    March 1, 2015 at 10:01 am

<3 All those colours! And….is that crystalised ginger I see? Love it! x

SANDY
    February 3, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Could you please list all the nuts and dries fruit you used. I think they look so pretty, I want to make for my dietitian daughter for Valentine’s day. Thank you

February 3, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Sure Sandy — I used dried blueberries,dried cranberries, dried goji berries, dried figs, dried pineapple, dried mango, dried papaya, walnut, pistachios, almonds, hemp seeds and pepitas — whew! But remember you can change out the toppings for ones that you like.

brenda
        July 4, 2015 at 3:30 pm

how about dried grapes and dried oranges

Teresa Davis
    January 30, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Made these yesterday to take to my Thursday night card group. They think I am quite the gourmet cook – but these are so easy! Note: my husband has just been diagnosed with celiac disease (not fun!) I had just ordered a wide assortment of dried fruits, nuts, seeds from nuts.com. So this recipe was timely! Sue – what is between the almonds and the pistachios on the lovely spread of the ingredients?

January 30, 2015 at 8:32 pm

It sounds like you are SET to make these Teresa — and those are the hemp seeds between the almonds and the pistachios.

2+Sisters+Recipes
    January 26, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Oh my ! We can eat these chocolate bites anytime! YUM! Great little snack for us and we love the “guilt-free” part! … and your photos are just stunning!

Ashley Talebi
    January 24, 2015 at 1:38 pm

I’m a personal trainer and I’m always looking for a guilt free excuse to enjoy chocolate. These look scrumptious. Thanks for sharing.

Creativesportskitchen.com

January 24, 2015 at 6:24 pm

I’m happy to have a professional’s thumbs up on these, thanks Ashley!

1 2 3 4