Homemade Allspice Dram is an essential ingredient in the best Fall cocktails, and now you can make it yourself, right at home!
St Elizabeth’s Allspice Dram can be hard to find. After looking in my local stores, I hit the mega liquor store BevMo. They didn’t have any either, and it’s out of stock on their website. Turns out this is somewhat of an elusive liqueur, sometimes available, sometimes not, so many bars make their own. If you like the flavor of spiced rum, you will love this.
This recipe is slightly adapted from Serious Eats. It’s simple to put together, and the hardest part is going to be waiting for it to ‘stew’. In the meantime I put together a fun list of fall cocktails and drinks that use Allspice Dram, below. If you love the idea of making your own liqueur, try my HOMEMADE PUMPKIN LIQUEUR, or my HOMEMADE IRISH CREAM.
- 1/8 cup whole allspice berries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup Rum (you can use light or dark, I used dark)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- Crush the allspice berries in a spice grinder, or with a mortar and pestle. You want them roughly cracked and crushed, don't grind them into a powder.
- Put the allspice in a sealable glass jar, a mason jar is perfect.
- Pour the rum in the jar, put the lid on, and give it a shake.
- Let the rum sit for a day, then break up the the cinnamon stick and add it to the jar.
- After 2 days, strain out the rum with a fine mesh strainer. Then put it through a coffee filter to filter out the smaller particles.
- Meanwhile, bring the water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes. Let cool, then mix into the infused rum. Pour into your final bottle* and let rest for 2 days before using.
- This is a potent liqueur, and a little goes a long way. You won’t be guzzling this down on its own. The allspice gives it a powerful spicy kick, and the holiday-like flavors linger on your tongue.
- Recycle bottles in your kitchen, (my ‘infusing jar’ is a Classico spaghetti sauce jar) or find lots of interesting bottles here.
Fall Cocktails made with Allspice Dram:
The Pumpkin Flip
Fall Ginger Smash
The Lion’s Tail
Hot Buttered Rum