Easy Crock Pot Cranberry Butter

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.

Crock Pot Cranberry Butter is an impossibly silky, tangy fruit butter that is made right in the crock pot ~ you’ll want to slather it on toast, scones, biscuits, muffins, turkey sandwiches ~ and so much more!

This zingy cranberry butter has the most amazing crimson color and silky texture.  While normally fruit butters are a time consuming project with a lot of stove side babysitting involved, in this recipe I’ve let the crock pot do all the work of cooking and reducing fresh cranberries down into a very potent thick spread.  All you need to do is puree and strain.  The result is truly unique.

This recipe makes 2 cups of cranberry butter, but what it lacks in volume it more than makes up for in silky texture and powerful flavor.  A little goes a long way, and a cup of this stuff would be a fine gift.  Use it on biscuits, scones, or add it to a cheese plate.  Use it as a glaze for grilled chicken or pork,or on sandwiches.  You can make creative holiday cocktails with a dab of this, too.

As an added bonus you’ll get an all day holiday scent filling your kitchen.  If you want to try other fruit butters, my Cranberry Apple Butter is a little less tart than this one.  My Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter is a great choice too.

Crockpot Cranberry Butter
Rate this recipe
64 ratings

Yield: makes about 2 cups

Crockpot Cranberry Butter

• 2 12-oz bags of cranberries, rinsed
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 whole cinnamon stick
  • 1 cup apple cider

1. Put all the ingredients in a crockpot and stir to combine well. Turn on high. Let it cook for about 2 hours or until the cranberries are soft.
  2. Remove the cinnamon stick and puree the mixture in a food processor. Do this in two batches. Be careful as the mixture is hot, I cover the top opening of the machine with a dish cloth. Let the machine run for a full minute to puree the cranberries very finely.
  3. Force the cranberry puree through a mesh sieve or strainer. Push forcefully with the back of a spoon to get as much cranberry puree as you can. Discard the solids.
  4. Pour the puree back into the crockpot. Turn the crockpot to high, and leave the lid ajar. Cook until thickened, approximately another 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  5. Put the cranberry butter into clean jars with tight fitting lids and let cool. Store in the refrigerator and consume within a month.

Notes

Be sure to remove the cinnamon stick before pureeing the cooked cranberries...I learned the hard way!

don’t forget to pin this easy Crock Pot Cranberry Butter!

Crock Pot Cranberry Butter is an impossibly silky, tangy fruit butter that is made right in the crock pot ~ you'll want to slather it on toast, scones, biscuits, muffins, turkey sandwiches ~ and so much more! #cranberries #cranberrybutter #applebutter #crockpotapplebutter #Thanksgiving #cranberrysauce #cranberryjam #smallbatchjam #refrigeratorjam #cranberryrecipe

Really Great Things #18 - Kitchen Serf
    November 25, 2014 at 2:04 am

[…] the season for cranberry butter and cranberry […]

Annmarie
    November 24, 2014 at 6:04 am

Can this be canned?

November 24, 2014 at 6:37 am

I believe so, Annmarie!

Kim
    November 22, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I have this in the second round with the crock pot right now and am stirring it occasionally to keep a skin from forming. OMG, I could eat it all now! VERY good, slightly tangy, and easy to play with…like adding apples and other spices. I’m also glad that cranberry butter actually has ZERO butter in it. I’m happy I can bring something else cranberry-ish to my sisters on T-day, since her sister in law said she would bring cranberry sauce and I am worried….she does NOT cook well! : /

November 22, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Good for you — I hope the crowd likes it!

22 Slow Cooker Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Less for Thanksgiving
    November 22, 2014 at 8:12 am

[…] Crock Pot Cranberry Butter by The View from Great Island […]

17 Crockpot Holiday Recipes - A Cedar Spoon
    November 22, 2014 at 5:02 am

[…] Crockpot Cranberry Butter //  The View From Great Island […]

Jessica
    November 19, 2014 at 8:22 am

Is this thick enough to use for thanksgiving cranberry sauce?
    From the pictures it looks wonderful!

November 19, 2014 at 8:46 am

Hey Jessica — it’s thicker than cranberry sauce, but I wouldn’t use it that way — this butter is very intense, if you want to use it at Thanksgiving it would be better used as a spread with biscuits or cornbread! I have lots of great cranberry sauce recipes on the blog if you are looking for one, just type in cranberry sauce in the search bar!

Madeleine
    November 16, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Can you use a food mill instead of the mesh sieve? I see a strainer works too, but thought I would ask.

November 16, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I used a metal strainer, just the regular kind Madeleine.

November 16, 2014 at 3:43 pm

But a food mill would work, too.

Madeleine
          November 23, 2014 at 12:25 pm

thanks! It’s in the crockpot now!

Kim capps
    November 2, 2014 at 9:45 am

i even put it on my peanut butter toast!

November 2, 2014 at 11:13 am

!!

jr
    September 8, 2014 at 3:25 pm

i love the jars in the picture! where could i buy these please?

Janet
    August 28, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Going to try this recipe in the morning. I might throw in orange peels. Can you can these in water bath? I’d like to give them out as gifts during the holidays. Thanks!

August 28, 2014 at 8:26 pm

You definitely can can them :) Just do as you normally do with the boiling, and they should be fine!

Phyllis
    January 16, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Am half way through my third batch. I love this stuff, could take a bath in it if it lasted that long. I’m going to try a water bath so I can keep it longer. Sue never stop with these great recipes.

Mike
    December 7, 2013 at 5:58 am

My girlfriend and I made up a batch last weekend, and thought it was great. This weekend, we brought it back out with flatbreads, brie and bleu cheese, just to see which it might go better with for putting out at a party. We were floored! With the brie, and it’s subtle flavors, it came across tart and brought a load of flavor along. With the bleu’s tartness, it came across as sweet and subdued, perfect accompaniment for either. Ultimately, we decided that for the party, we’re just putting both cheeses on the plate, so we can watch people’s faces as they try it either way!

December 7, 2013 at 8:26 am

Thanks for your comment, Mike. I so glad you liked it, and I can imagine it must have been great with the Brie. I almost hesitated to post the recipe because I was afraid people would find it too tart and intense. I think it is such an unusual flavor experience, especially with cheese. Let me know how the party goes :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    November 25, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Such a wonderful color, this would be delicious with muffins or scones!

Denise @ magnoliaverandah
    November 25, 2013 at 7:45 pm

How clever of you – such a time saver.

val
    November 25, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Cranberry Butter – my life is complete now. I love them both and together must be magical. I will be making this soon.

charj
    November 25, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Can the cranberry butter be frozen?

November 25, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I don’t honestly know since I haven’t tried, but since cranberries freeze well, I’m thinking it would be fine.

Homemade Crock Pot Cranberry Butter Recipe | Herbs and Oils Hub
    November 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm

[…] Homemade Crock Pot Cranberry Butter Recipe […]

Sherry Libby
    November 25, 2013 at 11:43 am

I must try this. I make a Cranberry Amaretto Chutney but this sounds divine. I will definitely double it as I like to give things like this as little thank you gifts. Thank you.

November 25, 2013 at 5:44 pm

If you double it, Sherry, just be aware that the second stage of cooking will take a bit longer, so plan accordingly.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert
    November 25, 2013 at 9:32 am

Wow Sue – another beautiful jar of awesomeness! You know this might be good added to a little buttercream icing tucked in between two macaron cookies – and what a gorgeous color. It certainly does look silky :) Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving!

November 25, 2013 at 5:45 pm

You’re right, because it’s so intense you can use it as cranberry flavoring. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Tricia!

Kate
    November 25, 2013 at 7:32 am

I’ve got a bag of cranberries in my fridge that I’ve not known what to do with! Do you think halving this recipe would work? I was thinking could cause burning/drying out. This looks so delicious, I can’t wait to try it out.

November 25, 2013 at 8:36 am

Hi Kate— I originally made it with a little more than a bag, and it worked, but you won’t need as long for the final crockpot reducing. You might even be better to do that in a small saucepan on the stove for such a small amount.

Kate
        November 25, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Thanks- I did reduce it in a pot, turned out just wonderful! I’m thinking cornbread needs to be made to use this on tonight. I imagine this will be the perfect spread for leftover Thanksgiving sandwiches! Thanks for the recipe!

1 2 3 4