Easy Crock Pot Cranberry Butter

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.

Crock Pot Cranberry Butter is an impossibly silky, tangy fruit butter that is made right in the crock pot ~ you’ll want to slather it on toast, scones, biscuits, muffins, turkey sandwiches ~ and so much more!

This zingy cranberry butter has the most amazing crimson color and silky texture.  While normally fruit butters are a time consuming project with a lot of stove side babysitting involved, in this recipe I’ve let the crock pot do all the work of cooking and reducing fresh cranberries down into a very potent thick spread.  All you need to do is puree and strain.  The result is truly unique.

This recipe makes 2 cups of cranberry butter, but what it lacks in volume it more than makes up for in silky texture and powerful flavor.  A little goes a long way, and a cup of this stuff would be a fine gift.  Use it on biscuits, scones, or add it to a cheese plate.  Use it as a glaze for grilled chicken or pork,or on sandwiches.  You can make creative holiday cocktails with a dab of this, too.

As an added bonus you’ll get an all day holiday scent filling your kitchen.  If you want to try other fruit butters, my Cranberry Apple Butter is a little less tart than this one.  My Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter is a great choice too.

Crockpot Cranberry Butter
Rate this recipe
64 ratings

Yield: makes about 2 cups

Crockpot Cranberry Butter

• 2 12-oz bags of cranberries, rinsed
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 whole cinnamon stick
  • 1 cup apple cider

1. Put all the ingredients in a crockpot and stir to combine well. Turn on high. Let it cook for about 2 hours or until the cranberries are soft.
  2. Remove the cinnamon stick and puree the mixture in a food processor. Do this in two batches. Be careful as the mixture is hot, I cover the top opening of the machine with a dish cloth. Let the machine run for a full minute to puree the cranberries very finely.
  3. Force the cranberry puree through a mesh sieve or strainer. Push forcefully with the back of a spoon to get as much cranberry puree as you can. Discard the solids.
  4. Pour the puree back into the crockpot. Turn the crockpot to high, and leave the lid ajar. Cook until thickened, approximately another 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  5. Put the cranberry butter into clean jars with tight fitting lids and let cool. Store in the refrigerator and consume within a month.

Notes

Be sure to remove the cinnamon stick before pureeing the cooked cranberries...I learned the hard way!

don’t forget to pin this easy Crock Pot Cranberry Butter!

Crock Pot Cranberry Butter is an impossibly silky, tangy fruit butter that is made right in the crock pot ~ you'll want to slather it on toast, scones, biscuits, muffins, turkey sandwiches ~ and so much more! #cranberries #cranberrybutter #applebutter #crockpotapplebutter #Thanksgiving #cranberrysauce #cranberryjam #smallbatchjam #refrigeratorjam #cranberryrecipe

Cassi
    September 29, 2016 at 6:37 am

Do you think you can water bath process this to make it shelf stable?

September 29, 2016 at 7:20 am

I assume you can, Cassi, I would process it for 10 minutes.

Laura
    December 6, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Just wondering if I can use regular cinnamon as I do not have sticks – if so, how much would you suggest?

December 6, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Well, probably just a bit because the flavor will get concentrated as the puree reduces, start with 1/2 tsp?

Amy
    December 5, 2015 at 1:38 pm

This sounds terrific! How many jars (and what size?) does this recipe make?

December 5, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Honestly Amy this doesn’t make a lot, because the puree is reduced down so much to make a butter. As I recall it just makes one small jar, maybe a cup. But it’s worth it, and a little goes a long way!

Deborah
      November 29, 2018 at 2:27 pm

I just made this recipe the other day. I used a Vita Mix which purées very well. I did not waste anything by straining so therefor got 4 pint canning jars & some extra for the fridge. I also found it extremely sour so added at least double the sugar. These factors probably are the reason for me having more quantity. I also did a canning in water process to make sure it keeps longer. Hope this helps anyone’s concerns.

Mimi
    November 24, 2015 at 9:36 am

Cranberries in crockpot! Made the NewYork cheesecake from Pintrest, will serve this on top……can’t wait !

November 24, 2015 at 10:38 am

Mmmmmmm

Chelaine
      November 15, 2016 at 3:35 pm

That is a great idea!

Amanda@craftycookingmama
    November 17, 2015 at 5:31 am

I absolutely love this cranberry butter – I could eat it with everything! Thanks for the awesome recipe :)

meagan
    November 11, 2015 at 9:18 am

Is there another way to appropriately puree this without a food processor? Would a handheld mixer or magic bullet work?

November 11, 2015 at 11:27 am

The bullet, probably, the hand held mixer, no. If you have an immersion blender that would work, and they are very inexpensive.

Tania
    November 9, 2015 at 10:48 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe … it sounds delicious, and my favorite part of a Thanksgiving meal is the leftover sandwich later in the day, I throw a bit of everything on that bread and I bet this cranberry butter will make a yummy addition.

November 10, 2015 at 6:43 am

It’s perfect for that, Tania – enjoy :)

Katie Short
      November 12, 2015 at 4:12 am

Yes! Also, if you happen to add some bacon, it becomes amazing! I’m not on the current bacon bandwagon, but it works so well in that application and with the cranberry. I’m hoping I can can this!

Mary
    October 31, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I have a bunch of jelled cranberry. Thinking about trying this wit that just add sugar and cider cook till thick. What do yo think?9

November 1, 2015 at 6:38 am

Hmmmmm, not too sure. Might be better to save your jellied cranberries and start from fresh.

Jenny
    October 26, 2015 at 1:58 pm

So very yummy. Just took it out of the crockpot and had to try it on some toast. I was wondering if u ever try canning it? Thanks for the recipe.

October 26, 2015 at 3:02 pm

I haven’t tried, Jenny, and I’m not an expert canner so I can’t advise you. I find that it lasts pretty long in the refrigerator, and you could certainly freeze it.

Katie Short
      November 12, 2015 at 4:27 am

It looks like there is no reason it can’t be safely canned. I’m going to add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to increase the acid, just to make up for the cider. But the difference between this and cranberry sauce is method, not ingredient, and that’s cannable. You can safely can fruit spreads, so I don’t worry about density (as with pumpkin). Adding spices doesn’t affect acidity, so the cinnamon doesn’t bug me. I’m gong to water-bath it according to the directions for whole-berry sauce. As an extra precaution, you could test the acidity with litmus paper. But cranberries are not usually questionable.

November 12, 2015 at 8:26 am

Thanks for weighing in, Katie!

Kim
        November 10, 2016 at 6:38 am

It depends how thick it is. If too thick, won’t get even heating all the way through. It will be acidic enough as the acid will become more concentrated as it cook down. litmus paper does not safely test food as it needs to be checked in different places in the jar and at different times, eg. month after, two months later, etc. Safe canning is a science.

Karla Curry
    September 12, 2015 at 1:51 pm

I love using my crock pot and I love cranberries! I think my bags were slightly bigger, but I used the same proportion of other ingredients, using coconut sugar. I pureed everything (minus the cinnamon sticks!) in my blender so I didn’t have to bother with straining. Added just a bit of liquid stevia since I decided it could use a little extra sweetness, and canning it right now. Thanks!

Sarah
      October 30, 2015 at 1:20 pm

did you find the skins to add too much texture to the end result?

October 30, 2015 at 2:16 pm

I strained the butter to remove the skins, Sarah, and I really liked the silkiness of it, but you don’t have to, it’s up to you.

Sarah
          November 9, 2015 at 5:50 pm

I made a big batch of this (4 12oz bags of cranberries). I changed the recipe some (less sugar as I am hypoglycemic) and I added ground cloves, nutmeg, and a couple of apples (for sweetness). I used a Foley food mill to process it, and am getting rave reviews! This is now in my permanent rotation for fall cooking!! Yum!!

michelle
    March 11, 2015 at 2:57 pm

How would I do this on the stove? I don’t own a crock pot unfortunately. I also don’t have a food processor or blender but I’m sure one of my neighbors would have one I could use.

March 11, 2015 at 3:13 pm

You can definitely do it on the stove, you’ll just have to watch it closely as it gets toward the end of cooking so it doesn’t scorch. Just cook it until it is thick. You will need that food processor, though, to get it smooth.

mouth watering cranberry recipes!
    January 7, 2015 at 8:14 am

[…] the view from great island […]

Finals Week Grading: Cranberry Butter | The Literary Kitchen
    December 17, 2014 at 5:53 pm

[…] out–and I’ll gratefully take their guidance. A while back, I found this recipe for cranberry butter and decided MUST HAVE. I did and seriously, it’s changed my world. If it weren’t so […]

Cranberry Upside Down Cake | The Literary Kitchen
    December 11, 2014 at 2:29 pm

[…] disappear from the store before I’m ready for them to. Since I discovered the glories of cranberry butter, there will never be enough cranberries for me. (I double this […]

Rose
    December 11, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Hi! I was about I make this and realized I forgot to buy cider! Any thing else I can use in a pitch? I have OJ and white grape juice on hand…

December 11, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I would think either one would be ok, the grape juice would probably be my choice.

Domna
    December 8, 2014 at 6:25 am

Can this be made with honey instead of brown sugar?

December 8, 2014 at 7:26 am

You could certainly give it a try, Donna, I don’t see why not. Let us know how it turns out :)

75 Fresh Cranberry Recipes Roundup {Week 11 of 12 Weeks of Christmas} - Meal Planning Magic
    December 5, 2014 at 4:24 pm

[…] Pear Christmas Sangria ~ Taste Love Nourish Spiced Cranberry Sauce ~ Cooking on the Weekends Crockpot Cranberry Butter ~ The View From Great Island Spiced Cranberry Compote Oatmeal ~ Fannetastic Food Cranberry Orange […]

Cranberry Orange Apple Sauce | This Gal Cooks
    December 4, 2014 at 10:26 am

[…] Pear Chutney | Spoonful of Flavor Crockpot Cranberry Butter | The View From Great Island Orange Bourbon Cranberry Sauce | Gimme Some […]

Pat
    December 1, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I loved this! So did my friends. Their reaction, “Oh wow”. Served with apple scones, cheese and crackers, and a glaze for poultry. Would be good on pork as well. I cooked it a bit longer as I was also assembling other things. I also pulsed it in food processor for a bit longer and avoided the straining step. Result was beautiful, smooth and tastey. Thanks so much for sharing. This will be my Christmas gift. and donation to autism auction.

December 1, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I love your friends’ reaction…that was mine, too! I’m honored that you’ll be donating this to the autism auction, and have a happy holiday season, Pat!

75 Homemade Edible Gifts | True Aim