Easy Crock Pot Cranberry Butter

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.

Crock Pot Cranberry Butter is an impossibly silky, tangy fruit butter that is made right in the crock pot ~ you’ll want to slather it on toast, scones, biscuits, muffins, turkey sandwiches ~ and so much more!

This zingy cranberry butter has the most amazing crimson color and silky texture.  While normally fruit butters are a time consuming project with a lot of stove side babysitting involved, in this recipe I’ve let the crock pot do all the work of cooking and reducing fresh cranberries down into a very potent thick spread.  All you need to do is puree and strain.  The result is truly unique.

This recipe makes 2 cups of cranberry butter, but what it lacks in volume it more than makes up for in silky texture and powerful flavor.  A little goes a long way, and a cup of this stuff would be a fine gift.  Use it on biscuits, scones, or add it to a cheese plate.  Use it as a glaze for grilled chicken or pork,or on sandwiches.  You can make creative holiday cocktails with a dab of this, too.

As an added bonus you’ll get an all day holiday scent filling your kitchen.  If you want to try other fruit butters, my Cranberry Apple Butter is a little less tart than this one.  My Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter is a great choice too.

Crockpot Cranberry Butter
Rate this recipe
65 ratings

Yield: makes about 2 cups

Crockpot Cranberry Butter

• 2 12-oz bags of cranberries, rinsed
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 whole cinnamon stick
  • 1 cup apple cider

1. Put all the ingredients in a crockpot and stir to combine well. Turn on high. Let it cook for about 2 hours or until the cranberries are soft.
  2. Remove the cinnamon stick and puree the mixture in a food processor. Do this in two batches. Be careful as the mixture is hot, I cover the top opening of the machine with a dish cloth. Let the machine run for a full minute to puree the cranberries very finely.
  3. Force the cranberry puree through a mesh sieve or strainer. Push forcefully with the back of a spoon to get as much cranberry puree as you can. Discard the solids.
  4. Pour the puree back into the crockpot. Turn the crockpot to high, and leave the lid ajar. Cook until thickened, approximately another 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  5. Put the cranberry butter into clean jars with tight fitting lids and let cool. Store in the refrigerator and consume within a month.

Notes

Be sure to remove the cinnamon stick before pureeing the cooked cranberries...I learned the hard way!

don’t forget to pin this easy Crock Pot Cranberry Butter!

Crock Pot Cranberry Butter is an impossibly silky, tangy fruit butter that is made right in the crock pot ~ you'll want to slather it on toast, scones, biscuits, muffins, turkey sandwiches ~ and so much more! #cranberries #cranberrybutter #applebutter #crockpotapplebutter #Thanksgiving #cranberrysauce #cranberryjam #smallbatchjam #refrigeratorjam #cranberryrecipe

Clarice B Boyd
    October 31, 2018 at 11:11 am

can you can this spread after it done?

Amber
    October 17, 2018 at 4:09 pm

I just made this but didnt have cinnamon sticks so i added 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon instead…hope that works. It smells amazing. Never really tried cranberries other then in juice but someone had given me a bunch of fresh ones so figured why not find a recipe to use them in. This looked easy enough and didnt call for to much. Crossing my fingers it turns out. Its on the second 2 hr cook time now

Luci
    October 9, 2018 at 12:09 pm

Thinking of changing the apple cider to orange juice as I love cranberry orange flavor. Would I just use vanilla extract instead of cinnamon stick or nothing else.

October 9, 2018 at 12:52 pm

I think that sounds great, you could still use a cinnamon stick, and how about some orange peel? (You’d remove the orange peel afterwards, just like the cinnamon.)

44 More Slow Cooker Recipes with 4 Ingredients or Less | LIFESTYLE BLOG
    June 21, 2018 at 11:59 am

[…] Crock-Pot Cranberry Butter from The View from Great Island […]

Megan
    May 28, 2018 at 1:20 pm

What would be the best way to can this? Steam can or pressure can? I make apple butter and can it by boiling the jars and they seal on their own. I’m just not sure with cranberries.

Brenda
    February 17, 2018 at 10:04 am

Found on Pintrest. Love cranberries. Im going to go make it right this very minute. Thanks for posting this

February 17, 2018 at 10:39 am

Have fun!

Casie Fariello
    February 2, 2018 at 7:39 am

Ok, so I have made a batch of this and it is a family favorite already. I want to spice it up a bit since I have some jalapeños in their fridg that I want to use? What do you think? Cook with the cranberries the whole time or the second cook?

February 2, 2018 at 9:22 am

Hmmm, interesting idea. I would be tempted to mince the jalapenos and add them in at the very end.

Hannah Keir
    December 10, 2017 at 6:49 am

I make this in large batches and can it. My family loves this year round in place of jam. Also I use maple syrup in place of the brown sugar and it’s delicious!

December 10, 2017 at 8:14 am

What a lucky family! The maple syrup sounds so good, I’ll have to try it that way next time, thanks Hannah!

Deb
      December 14, 2017 at 6:45 pm

How can I ‘translate’ this recipe to an instant pot?

December 14, 2017 at 7:02 pm

I’m not completely sure, Deb, since I haven’t used one yet, but I assume you would do the same steps but they would be shorter. Let me know if you try!

Amy
        December 16, 2017 at 3:37 pm

I made this tonight in my Instant Pot. I did 20 mins high pressure and a quick release.

December 16, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Thanks Amy!

Katrina
    December 9, 2017 at 3:13 am

I found it easier to blend with a hand mixer if you have one right in the crock pot then strain :)

Cristen
    November 21, 2017 at 7:43 pm

So, I only had a tiny (probably what most would consider half) of a cinnamon stick in the pantry to use. And, despite your many reminders, I forgot to take it out before processing. Cue moment of panic. But- either I just love cinnamon, the tiny half stick was not so strong, or my food processor did an outstanding job as a spice grinder, because it tastes just fine to me thankfully!!! This is going to be amazing to spread on crescent rolls at Thanksgiving!

November 21, 2017 at 8:09 pm

That’s great to know, Cristen, and I bet the flavor was pretty awesome. The main reason I remind readers to take the cinnamon stick out is so you don’t break your processor/blender ~ so you must have one of the good ones! Have a wonderful holiday :)

Jessica
    November 20, 2017 at 7:16 pm

I really love this recipe. It’s my go to for the holidays??the only thing I do differently is after putting the cranberry puree back into the crockpot I add a little Nutmeg & Ginger. It’s fantastic I’ve been making it for 3yrs now. It’s not holiday dinner unless we have this cranberry sauce?

November 20, 2017 at 8:13 pm

That’s so nice to hear, Jessica, it makes me really happy to know that my recipe is a part of your holiday tradition :) Have a wonderful season!

Susan Oven
    November 7, 2017 at 7:34 am

I am going to make this for Thanksgiving. How long will these keep in the refrigerator?

November 7, 2017 at 7:46 am

At least a month, Susan.

AnnMarie
    November 5, 2017 at 6:41 am

I made a batch of this and canned two jars and refrigerated the rest. The bowl in the refrigerator is completely gone and the first jar is opened (was thinking I would have it for Thanksgiving…..). Another batch now in the crockpot. I put the stick cinnamon but also added about 1-1/2 tsp more because I like more of the cinnamon flavor in the background. It is a huge hit! Going to try your other recipes next.

November 5, 2017 at 6:47 am

I’m so glad, AnnMarie, isn’t it the most intense flavor ever? I think it’s so great to have a few jars on the table at Thanksgiving, people will fight over it! I bet the extra cinnamon is delish. Happy Holidays :)

Von
      December 2, 2017 at 6:35 pm

How do you decide how long to do the canning hot bath?

KAREN
    October 20, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Is there a substitute for Apple Cider?

October 20, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Yes, you can use almost any liquid, Karen, even water.

Sarah
    October 12, 2017 at 10:15 am

This looks great! I want to make it ahead of Thanksgiving just to have one less thing to do the day of. Do I serve it warm or cold? (This may be a dumb question but I’m new to cooking)!

October 12, 2017 at 10:18 am

This recipe is used like apple butter, Sarah, so it would be served cold, and you can spread it on toast, biscuits, etc. It’s also great as a side condiment for Thanksgiving. Good luck!

Harlee
    September 10, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Made it and Love the cranberry butter. My grandson, who doesn’t like cranberries ate this up! Cranberries are due into the stores soon and I look forward to making LOTS of this yummy treat!

I would like to know if Katie had any luck canning it? Have you heard any more form her?

Thank you!

September 10, 2017 at 7:52 pm

I think you can can this without problem, Harlee, I would process in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Ray
        November 21, 2017 at 5:09 am

Freshly extracted, unsweetened cranberry juice is valued between 2.3 and 2.5 on the pH scale, i’d add a splash of apple cider vinegar (or some lemon juice), to raise it slightly, this should make it shelf stable as its only safe to water bath high acidic foods. Ball typically calls for fruit butters to be water bathed for 15 minutes for pints, 10 minutes for half-pints.
        As for me, I hate the taste of cranberry’s, but I will probably make this as my wife and daughter love them.

November 21, 2017 at 7:11 am

Thanks Ray, hope your wife and daughter love it!

William Shoemaker
    February 10, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Hi Sue,

This stuff is great! So great that I’ve made it two years in a row without changing a thing. In other words, it’s perfect. It is worth it to get every bit of peel out. It makes a great sandwich spread for chicken or turkey sandwiches all year long.

Thanks,
    Bill

February 10, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Thanks Bill ~ and you’re so right about straining it, it makes all the difference. I appreciate you coming back to let me know how you liked it :)

Christina
    December 23, 2016 at 11:45 am

I made this during my days off and it tasted amazing. The onky thing that I had a question a out was that mine didn’t really thicken as much as I would have liked. Is there a way to thicken it and make it more spreadable and less watery?

December 23, 2016 at 11:49 am

Keep cooking it, Christina, the longer you cook it the more it will thicken as the liquid evaporates. You can put yours back into a pan and cook it down. Enjoy!

Amber
    November 23, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I just made a 1.5 batch of this for Thanksgiving tomorrow. It’s wonderful! I used an immersion blender – it worked perfectly. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe! This is a new holiday favorite. Happy Thanksgiving!

November 23, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Amber – hope the family enjoys it!

Denise
    October 11, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Can you use dried cranberries?

October 11, 2016 at 4:30 pm

No, sorry, Denise, you need the fresh ones for this. My grocery store always carries them in the freezer section if you can’t find them in your produce aisle.

Carla
        October 12, 2016 at 11:28 pm

How long do you cook thiis? I must have missed this in the post.

October 13, 2016 at 7:40 am

It’s in the recipe section, Carla. The first part is about 2 hours, then you will puree the fruit, and then it goes back into the crock pot for approximately another 2 hours. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1 2 3 4