Copycat Trader Joe’s Gone Bananas is one of the simplest recipes on the blog, and one of the most outrageously delicious frozen desserts you’ll ever eat!
A quick little post today — we had a busy weekend and I’m still recovering. But I think you’ll be glad you stopped by, these dark chocolate covered frozen banana bites are so good. They’re a copycat version of Trader Joe’s Gone Bananas. The last time I was at my sister’s she brought out a box and it didn’t even make it all the way around the table before it was emptied. That’s like throwing down the gauntlet to a food blogger. Why buy something in frustratingly small boxes when you can make them yourself?
If you haven’t had the TJ’s Gone Bananas you’re in for a treat. The frozen banana tastes just like ice cream, and the chocolate shell is rich and crunchy. Since you’re making them yourself you can use your favorite chocolate. I like dark, but milk or white works too. The magic is in the coconut oil, which, when melted with the chocolate, makes a coating that hardens instantly on contact with the cold banana.
TIP: Top the coated banana slices with crushed nuts, coconut, or sprinkles before the chocolate hardens.
- 1 banana
- 1 heaping cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Slice the banana and place the slices on a tray. Put the tray in the freezer until the bananas are frozen solid. About an hour.
- Meanwhile place the chocolate chips and the coconut oil in a small microwave safe bowl or measuring cup. Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir. Microwave for another 15 seconds and stir again, until all the chocolate is melted and smooth. Put it back in the microwave for another few seconds if necessary. Don't over heat. Set the chocolate aside to cool.
- When the bananas are frozen, dip them into the cooled chocolate and coat on all sides. I like set the slices on a fork and then use a spoon to help drizzle the chocolate all over. Let any excess chocolate drip off before setting the slice down on parchment or waxed paper. Put the slices back in the freezer right away.
- You can store the slices in a zip lock freezer baggie once the chocolate has hardened.
- Spread a dab of peanut butter on the frozen bananas before coating them if you like.
- Slide a popsicle stick into the sliced bananas BEFORE freezing and dipping them.