Chewy Ginger Cookies are the ultimate fall and holiday cookie, full of warm spices and molasses, they’re crisp on the outside and nice and chewy inside. They’re so easy to make and your whole house will smell amazing.
We make these easy chewy ginger cookies every year. They’re not flashy, but they’re super delicious.
The spices are balanced just right, the cookies spread out perfectly, and most important of all, they stay nice and chewy. A batch of these will put you in the holiday mood, guaranteed.
This recipe comes from our good friend Liz. When my girls were very young she opened up her sunny kitchen to them for an afternoon of holiday cookie baking. They made a huge mess and many cookies that day, but these were the memory makers. They scent the kitchen and are absolutely addictive when eaten warm from the oven. Thanks Liz—not only for giving us a favorite family recipe but for introducing my girls to the joys of baking. I would have been too preoccupied with the devastation in my kitchen to have pulled it off. Once flour gets into the nooks and crannies and crevices of a kitchen it’s pretty much there for good…just like the image I carry with me of my girls dusted in white, proudly tasting their cookies.
(*update: Liz has since passed away from breast cancer, but we think of her every time we make her cookies.)
Chewy ginger cookies keep really well thanks to the molasses, and they’re sturdy, too. They make a great choice for giving as a part of a cookie assortment, and for shipping. They freeze well, too, so I guess you could say they’re the perfect cookie ;) If you love chocolate, try my Chewy Chocolate Ginger Cookies ~ they have the same great flavor and texture, with a hint of chocolate. And if that’s not enough chocolate for you, try my Chewy Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies. The combination of dark chocolate and gingery spices is one of my favorites.
More of my favorite gingerbread treats from the archives…
Reader Rave ~
“I was SO delighted to find your recipie. My sister and I love ginger cookies…especially chewy ginger cookies..mmmmmm! These are spot on delicious. Thank you for sharing…we are all smiling as we can’t stop eating them!” ~Nancy
Chewy Ginger Cookies
- 1 1/2 sticks 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour will make flat cookies, if you prefer them puffier, use 2 and 1/4 cups
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- extra sugar for rolling
- Set the oven to 350F
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg and molasses.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Form or scoop balls the size of a small walnut. Roll in granulated sugar to coat.
- Place on an un-greased or parchment paper lined baking sheet 2" apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, an let cool slightly on the pan before transferring to a rack.
- There’s no need to chill this dough before baking, but you can certainly make it ahead if you like.
- To freeze the dough I suggest scooping it out onto a baking sheet and freezing until the dough balls are solid. Then put the dough into a zip lock freezer bag. Thaw the dough balls before rolling and baking.