The ULTIMATE Guide to Freezer Jam ~ put away the big canning pot, the tongs, and all that pesky canning equipment, freezer jam is so much easier! Get your creative juices flowing with this collection of the world’s best freezer jam recipes ~ I’ve organized them by season, so you’ll never be without something wonderful to spread on your morning toast!
First up, there are a few tips that apply when making a great freezer jam, no matter which of the following recipes you decide to make~
- Freezer and small batch jams are quick, easy, and have better color and flavor than canned jams. They maintain more of the integrity of the fruit and tend to be a healthier alternative to sugar laden preserves.
- You can make freezer jam with any amount of fruit, even just a handful, so experiment with unusual fruits, or get creative and and feel free to mix and match! Combine different berries together, or pair berries with stone fruit.
- You can use fresh or frozen fruit, both will work.
- Even though you will not be canning your jams and jellies, be sure to start with scrupulously clean jars.
- Freezer jam recipes don’t require the large amounts of sugar that canning recipes do, so feel free to use minimal sugar, or none at all for a super healthy product. Note: I find a little bit of sugar can actually serve to intensify the flavor of the fruit, so I will sometimes add a bit for that reason.
- Pectin is optional, you can thicken your jam by cooking it down on the stove until it thickens naturally as the moisture evaporates. Pectin comes in dry or liquid form, and some is specifically made for low sugar recipes… if a recipe calls for pectin, follow the directions carefully and don’t try to substitute one type for another.
- Kick up the flavor of your jam with lemon juice, or even a little bit of liqueur. I like to use a touch of spice, like cinnamon or cardamom with fall jams.
How to Freeze any jam ~
- Did you know that ANY jam recipe can be converted to a freezer jam, just skip the canning stage and send right to the freezer after cooling.
- After ladling your hot jam into clean jars, let it cool completely at room temperature before capping and refrigerating or freezing. You can freeze jam in plastic or glass, and you can even freeze jam in zip lock freezer bags, just be sure to press out any extra air before zipping them up.
- Be sure to leave at least 1/2 inch free space at the top of the jar to allow for expansion in the freezer.
- Jams and jellies will keep for a month in the refrigerator, but up to a year in the freezer.
SUMMER FREEZER JAMS
HABANERO NECTARINE FREEZER JAM | The View from Great Island
EASY BLUEBERRY FREEZER JAM | She Wears Many Hats
SALTED HONEY CANTALOUPE JAM | bon appetit
EASY NECTARINE BLUEBERRY FREEZER JAM | Saving Room for Dessert
HEIRLOOM TOMATO JAM | A Cozy Kitchen
SWEET CHERRY FREEZER JAM | The Cafe Sucre Farine
SIMPLE EUROPEAN STYLE STRAWBERRY JAM| The View from Great Island
SPICED PEACH JAM | Texanerin Baking
RED CURRANT JELLY | woman & home
PEACH PINEAPPLE FREEZER JAM | Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen
BLUEBERRY LIME CHIA JAM | The Hungry Herbavores
BLACKBERRY FREEZER JAM | Garnish & Glaze
MANGO JAM | Masala Herb
3 MINUTE NO SUGAR MICROWAVE JAM | The View from Great Island
PINEAPPLE PASSION FRUIT JAM | The Flexitarian
SUPER EASY HOT PEPPER JELLY | The View from Great Island
RASPBERRY NO COOK REFRIGERATOR JAM | The Pioneer Woman
DRAGON FRUIT JAM | Vegetarian Tastebuds
SPICY SUMMER TOMATO JAM | Saving Room for Dessert
EASY BLUEBERRY JAM | Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
KIWI JALAPENO JAM | Chilipeppermadness
VANILLA MANGO JAM | Rock Recipes
PEACH AND PEPPER JAM | Seasons & Suppers
EASY GUAVA JAM | Garlic and Zest
SMALL BATCH LOW SUGAR APRICOT JAM | Happy Foods Tube
FALL FREEZER JAMS
SPICED PLUM BUTTER| Nutmeg Nanny
FRENCH APPLE JAM | The View from Great Island
PERSIMMON JAM | Ichigo Shortcake
GRAPE JELLY WITH ANISE SEED AND CINNAMON | boxofspice
QUINCE JAM | Simply Recipes
ROSEHIP JAM | East Coast Living
JALAPENO CINNAMON PLUM JAM | Kitchen Gone Rogue
CRAB APPLE JELLY WITH CINNAMON, CLOVES, AND ALLSPICE | Spicelines
HAWTHORN JAM | China Sichuan Food
WINTER FREEZER JAMS
EASY CRANBERRY JAM | Baking Ginger
CLEMENTINE JAM | The View from Great Island
BALSAMIC ROSEMARY ONION JAM | Love & Olive Oil
LEMON JAM | Give Recipe
HOLIDAY JAM| Saving Room for Dessert
CRANBERRY CURD | The View from Great Island
PEAR FREEZER JAM | the balance
LIGNONBERRY JAM | Masala Herb
CARDAMOM FIG JAM | The View from Great Island
‘OLD FASHIONED’ JELLY WITH LEMON, BOURBON AND BITTERS | Jess Pryles
CRANBERRY JAM | Baked by Rachael
MEYER LEMON MICROWAVE CURD | The View from Great Island
SMALL BATCH GRAPEFRUIT JAM | Seasons & Suppers
PINK CHAMPAGNE JELLY | Boulder Locavore
BOURBON BACON JAM ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
BANANA BOURBON BUTTER | The View from Great Island
EASY BLOOD ORANGE MARMALADE | The Cafe Sucre Farine
GRAPEFRUIT CURD | fork vs spoon
BLOOD ORANGE JAM | The View from Great Island
APPLE CRANBERRY BUTTER | The View from Great Island
CARAMELIZED BANANA JAM | The Cafe Sucre Farine
PINK GRAPEFRUIT VANILLA BEAN JAM | The View from Great Island
SPRING FREEZER JAMS
STRAWBERRY CHIA SEED JAM | Downshiftology
LILAC JELLY | Rhulman
RHUBARB BUTTER | The View from Great Island
ELDERFLOWER JELLY | madonna del piatto
RASPBERRY RHUBARB FREEZER JAM | Baking Bytes
HONEYSUCKLE JELLY | Daily Dish Recipes
STRAWBERRY RHUBARB LEMON FREEZER JAM | Lord Byron’s Kitchen
Whether I’m actually canning jam or making a small batch refrigerator version, I love to store it in my Weck jars. These gorgeous glass jars from Germany come in all sorts of shapes and sizes ~ I want one of each! Click on the photos for more info…