Cheesy Hatch Green Chile Dip is pretty much the ultimate appetizer for all you chile heads out there who also appreciate the finer points of gooey cheese and the salty crunch of a great tortilla chip. This hot appetizer is a party in a bowl!
It’s late summer, and just when you thought it was all over…in come the Hatch chilies from New Mexico. They have a super short August-September growing season, and they’re the creme-de-la-creme of the chile world. True Hatch chiles are prized for their fabulous flavor, and they can only be grown in the valley around Hatch NM, so that makes them extremely special, and rare. During the season you *might* be able to find them fresh if you’re lucky, (if you live in California, Arizona, or New Mexico) but don’t worry, you can buy them all year round already roasted. I got mine from The Hatch Chile Store straight from the source. They were delivered roasted and ready to use, in both mild and hot varieties.
This is a simple dip that draws crowds. It’s a pleasure to make, and I guarantee you’ll get hungry just mixing up all that cheese, mayo, sour cream, and chiles. What? Nobody said this was diet food 😉
When I share a dip recipe, you can count on the fact that it will be easy. A complicated dip is a contradiction in terms…dips need to be last minute, effortless, and all about the good times you’ll have devouring them. This dip can be prepped ahead of time and popped in the oven about 30 minutes before you want to serve it. Needless to say this is the PERFECT game night starter, but I won’t tell if you just want to hoard it all for yourself.
TIP: Bake the dip in a shallow casserole or pie plate so it will cook quickly and evenly. There’s nothing worse than digging into a dip that’s lukewarm in the center.
You’ll customize the heat of this dip depending on whether you choose hot, mild or a combination of chiles. I chose a combo, and it had just the right amount of ‘kick’ without being overwhelming.
TIP: Turn this dip into a meal by adding some cooked shredded or chopped chicken to the mixture before baking.
Cheesy Hatch Green Chile Dip
- 1 cup chopped mild roasted Hatch chilies
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted hot Hatch chiles
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Tortilla chips for serving
- set oven to 350F
- Put all the ingredients --- except the tortilla chips --- into a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Make sure all the elements are well combined.
- Spread the mixture into a casserole dish. Spread out so it is an even depth. If you like you can sprinkle a few more of the chopped chilies across the surface.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until bubbling all around and starting to brown on the surface. If it's not bubbling and starting to brown, cook it a little longer. Finish off for a few minutes on the top rack under the broiler to get more browning, if you like.
- Serve right away with tortilla chips or bread for dipping.
- You won't get the same effect with canned chiles, but if you want to try, use whole chiles and chop them yourself.
don’t forget to pin this Cheesy Hatch Green Chile Dip!
If you love Hatch chiles, check out my Slow Cooked Hatch Pepper Chili
and my Hatch Green Chile Cornbread