“We made this Hummer cocktail all last summer, it’s amazing.” ~Tavo
The Hummer Cocktail is a mid-century ice cream cocktail made with coffee ice cream, rum, and Kahlua…you’ll either love me or hate me for this irresistible concoction, it’s a seriously delicious adult treat!
what’s a hummer?
The original Hummer is an ice cream cocktail thought to be born in Detroit at the Bayview Yacht Club in the 1960s. It’s responsible for starting a cocktail milkshake craze that peaked in the 60s but is still going strong, at least in our house.
The original recipe calls for vanilla ice cream, light rum, and Kahlua. I’ve made a few choice tweaks that absolutely make it better.
what you’ll need for a hummer cocktail
- coffee ice cream ~ go for the good stuff. I use coffee ice cream because it’s my favorite. It deepens the flavor of this classic ice cream cocktail. You can use chocolate, too, or butter pecan!
- rum ~ I use amber rum, another little tweak for more depth of flavor.
- Kahlua coffee liqueur
- ice ~ just a little to thicken the drink and keep the temperature nice and frosty. I use crushed ice.
- a blender to make the magic happen.
the hummer cocktail is a summer favorite
This is the perfect way to end a summer day, and I guarantee if you make a pitcher up for your friends they will never let you forget it. It’s going to be your signature cocktail, for sure.
Interestingly the hummer cocktail faded from view after its brief burst of fame in the last century. It’s largely been blogs like mine that have kept it alive. I first posted about it in 2012 and I’ve been singing its praises ever since. You have got to try this one!!
more adult skewing desserts
- Brown Sugar Bourbon Icebox Pie
- Whiskey Glazed Brownies
- Grand Marnier Truffles
- Manhattan Cocktail Ice Cream
- No Churn Bailey’s Ice Cream
The Hummer Cocktail
- 4 large scoops of coffee ice cream
- 1 oz (2 tablespoons) amber rum
- 1 oz (2 tablespoons) Kahlua coffee liqueur
- 2 ice cubes or 1/2 cup crushed ice
- Blend everything in a blender just until smooth. Serve with a straw (or two)
Questions and Reviews
I have made this cocktail for years, first had it around 1978, (I’m that old!) but always made it with vanilla ice cream. I never ever once thought to use coffee ice cream! I tried it last night with coffee ice cream and WOW! What a game changer! It really took it over the top. Thank you for posting the recipe using coffee ice cream. This old gal is grateful!
I have never heard of this cocktail! My mind is blown right now with how amazing it looks and sounds, especially since Kahlua is one of my favorites. This is going to be made soon for sure!
If you love Kahlua you will definitely love this Aimee 🙂
We made this cocktail all last summer, it’s amazing.
Fantastic! I absolutely love anything mid-century so this cocktail was practically made for me! The addition of Kahlua is marvelous.