Minimal Monday: Provencal Tomatoes

Provencal Tomatoes are a super easy and healthy side dish with that classic French panache, make them with classic red or colorful heirloom tomatoes ~ who thought something so simple could be so delicious?

Provencal Tomatoes | The easiest summer side dish!

It’s Monday again, and those beautiful heirloom tomatoes from the farmer’s market are sitting on the counter. Almost too pretty to eat. I had big plans for them. Maybe a Tomato Tart, or a fancy Shrirazi Salad.  But my youngest daughter gets home from college today, and her 20th birthday is Tuesday. I’ve got presents to wrap and a cake to bake, so these tomatoes will just have to get the minimal treatment.

Provencal Tomatoes | The View from Great Island 2

This recipe is authentic— My inspiration comes from Dani, who made them on her trip to France last year. She got her recipe from a cookbook that was in the kitchen of the home they were renting. But this dish has vintage American cache, too. They would have been right there, next to your steak, throughout the 50s, 60s at any restaurant worth its salt.

It’s also simple— all you do is lop off their tops, scoop out a bit of the innards, and stuff with a mix of bread crumbs, herbs and cheese. Drizzle and bake.

And satisfying—they hit all the high points: crunchy, cheesy, juicy, fresh, and sweet.

Provencal Tomatoes | The View from Great Island 3

Not to mention healthy—there’s no reason these can’t be a meal, with a loaf of bread to soak up all the juices, a salad, and some wine.

Provencal Tomatoes | The View from Great Island

3 from 3 votes

Provencal Tomatoes

• 6 good ripe tomatoes still somewhat firm
  • salt
  • fresh cracked pepper
  • herbes de Provence
  • a sprinkle of lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup bread crumbs
  • about 1/3 cup fresh herbs of your choice finely chopped
  • 1 or 2 cloves of garlic minced (optional)
  • about 1/2 cup grated hard Italian cheese of your choice
  • olive oil

• Set oven to 350F
  • Slice the tops off the tomatoes and scoop out just a little of the pulp from the center of each one.
  • Arrange the tomatoes in an oven proof dish and sprinkle them with the salt, pepper, herbes de Provence, and lemon juice.
  • In a small bowl mix together the bread crumbs, fresh herbs, garlic, and cheese.
  • Sprinkle the mixture heavily over each tomato, filling the cavities. You can use any herbs you like, I used a combination of tarragon, basil, chives and thyme because that's what I had around.
  • Drizzle the tomatoes liberally with olive oil.
  • Bake for about 15 minutes, then put them under the broiler briefly to get browned. Serve while nice and hot.
Notes:  These are best eaten hot from the oven. If your tomatoes are small, reduce the cooking time or they will get mushy. You can sprinkle them with extra cheese before broiling if you like.

the actor's diet
    June 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

so beautiful and simple! bookmarked!

meatballsandmilkshakes.com
    June 8, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I used to make these all the time, but for some reason I forgot about them. I will definitely have to try them out again soon!

Rachel R
    June 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

This looks amazing. I think I’ll try them tonight for dinner – maybe with some prosciutto on the side? (But of course, I’ll put prosciutto with anything…)

Katie @ This Chick Cooks
    June 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Oh my! Those tomatoes look absolutely amazing! Love all the beautiful heirloom tomatoes you used!

Liza in Ann Arbor
    June 5, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Sounds delicious. And I have some bread crumbs in the freezer needing a home.

Averie @ Averie Cooks
    June 5, 2012 at 6:20 pm

gorgeous tomatoes!!! I love heirlooms & I love roasted tomatoes…seriously this is made for me. I even just wrote at the bottom of my roasted grape post how much I love roasted tomatoes & now I see these!

Tricia @ saving room for dessert
    June 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Oh me oh my! This speaks to me. The dish looks amazing, the dishes are beautiful and the tomatoes are fantastic!

Lea Ann
    June 5, 2012 at 11:49 am

I love that photo with the yellow plate and the blue napkin. These tomatoes look divine. I don’t think I’ve ever had them and they are a “must make” when I get fresh tomatoes. Growing up in the middle of Kansas, we really didn’t have a good steak house restaurant available, but it also seems like I remember creamed mushrooms were a standard along side steak too. Anyway…I’m loving this recipe! Pinned.

Joanne
    June 5, 2012 at 11:36 am

I can’t think of anything I’m more excited for than tomato season! Especially the heirlooms. These sound absolutely stunning!

Kitchen Belleicious
    June 5, 2012 at 2:41 am

those tomatoes must get on my plate this week or else!

1 2 3

Grab my latest e-book

for free!

Subscribe to get first dibs on all my new recipes, plus extra subscriber only benefits!

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

You have Successfully Subscribed!