I am so excited about this homemade Irish Cream, I couldn’t wait to press ‘publish’ — I found the recipe on one of my favorite blogs, Farmette, and Imen just happens to blog from the Irish countryside, so you know this is authentic! Sometimes I know from the minute I see a recipe that I have to make it and that it’s going to be fabulous, and that’s what happened with this one. Irish Cream has always been a favorite of mine, and this from scratch version tastes even better than the bottled stuff. As much as I love the original, there is something just a little sketchy about the idea of bottled cream. Fresh is way better. Get out your favorite Irish whiskey and some good fresh cream…and prepare to be amazed.
This is so simple and so good I’m not going to leave you hanging, I’ll get right to it. It’s a mixture of cream, whiskey, condensed milk, and touches of vanilla, instant coffee, and cocoa powder. It’s spot on, I wouldn’t change it in any way, and I highly recommend mixing up a batch for St Patrick’s Day. You can serve it on the rocks, in a White Russian, or in an after dinner coffee. I like it straight up in tiny vintage cordial glasses.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp instant coffee or instant espresso
- 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Irish whiskey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Put a tablespoon of the cream in a bowl and add the espresso and cocoa powder. Mix these together until both powders are completely dissolved and there are no lumps.
- Add the rest of the cream, while stirring, or gently whisking.
- Add the whiskey, vanilla, and condensed milk and blend everything well.
- Pour the mixture into a bottle with a top, and refrigerate until needed.
- This will keep in the fridge a couple of weeks.
This one is a no-brainer, you must make it. And be sure to visit Imen’s stunning blog for more tastes of Ireland.