Fresh cranberry recipes for the 2022 cranberry harvest ~ from muffins, cakes and pies, to jam, jelly, and meatballs for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and beyond.
when will we see fresh cranberries in the supermarkets in 2022?
They’re hitting the stores now!! Fresh cranberries are so special we only see them briefly each year ~ only for about 6-8 weeks will they be sold in stores. Of course you can find frozen cranberries all year round, but true cranberry nuts (raising hand) get super excited about the tart vibrant FRESH fruit every year.
This year’s crop is bigger than the past few years ~ yay! But less than 5% of the cranberries grown in the US are served up fresh, the rest get juiced or dried. The 2022 crop is being harvested right now and the berries will be hitting the shelves in week 1 and 2 of October. Ask your produce manager if you don’t see them.
did you know?
- cranberries are one of many fruits native to North America (along with blueberries and Concord grapes, for example)
- only about 3% of the annual cranberry crop is sold fresh, the rest gets canned and bottled.
- cranberries are insanely healthy ~ they’re low calorie, high fiber, high in vitamin C and cancer fighting antioxidants.
- fresh cranberries can reduce the need for antibiotics in women with UTIs.
- yes you CAN eat cranberries raw! Pulse them into a relish, or blend up into a super nutritious smoothie.
- they freeze beautifully, just throw the bags in the freezer, they’ll keep all the way ’til next cranberry season.
- fresh cranberries are good for so much more than sauce…just scroll down and see!
our favorite cranberry recipes to make with fresh cranberries
This is what you do with those bags of crimson gems you score in October through December. And then you keep on making them throughout the rest of the year with frozen berries!
- Cranberry Breakfast Recipes
- Cranberry Dessert Recipes
- Cranberry Preserve and Sauce Recipes
- Savory Cranberry Recipes