Easy, healthy, and delicious, Grilled Tofu Skewers is probably my family’s favorite vegan meal, and it can be on the table in less than 30 minutes!
I’ve been crazy obsessed with skewers this year. I get so enthusiastic about them the family is beginning to roll their eyes. I admit it, I’m sometimes my own biggest fan and every time I make a new skewer combination for dinner I spend most of the meal exclaiming about how great they are. That can get old for the rest of the group, so, how about I tell YOU GUYS all about this lightening fast healthy dinner idea? (I promise not to talk your ears off)
So first off, why should meat get all the grilling glory — that beautiful char is equally as compelling on tofu and veggies. And since the health news on red meat is getting worse every year, it makes sense to try out other options. These skewers will ease you into tofu without hitting you over the head with it.
I cut silky blocks of extra firm tofu into cubes, and thread them onto skewers with red onion and brightly colored bell peppers. I used metal skewers but you can use wooden ones if you like. You can marinate the tofu, but I don’t, I like to keep this meal as simple and quick as possible. The grilling adds enough flavor for me, and I’ll drizzle it all with an Asian inspired sauce at the end, anyway.
Here’s why I love skewers so much:
- They take just minutes to prep, and you can make them ahead of time and keep them in the fridge till you’re ready to eat.
- You can use chicken, steak, fish, tofu, or go for all veggies.
- I make them right on the stove top for a ‘just off the grill’ experience all year long.
- They’re great for portion control, and you can stretch a pound of meat, poultry or fish a lot farther when you skewer it.
- They cook in minutes.
- You can serve them over rice, beans, couscous, or salad greens. Everything is taken care of, no side dishes needed.
- There’s very little to clean up.
- They’re HEALTHY
- They’re FUN TO EAT
- They’re DELICIOUS!
I’ve got LOTS more mouth watering skewers on the blog, but I won’t list them all here, because then I think you might start to roll your eyes…instead, go to the search bar and type in SKEWERS, you’ll see what I mean.
- 1 lb block of extra firm tofu, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 red onion
- 4 multi-colored bell peppers
- olive oil for brushing
- salt and pepper
- soy sauce
- rice wine vinegar
- sesame oil
- Peel and cut the onion into cubes, about the same size as your tofu cubes. Gently separate the layers of onion so you have chunks with about 2-3 layers. In other words, you don't want big thick chunks of onion on the skewers, you want a few layers so it will cook properly.
- Trim and de-seed the peppers and cut them into similar size squares.
- Thread your skewers alternately with the tofu, onion, and peppers.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat until it is quite hot.
- Brush the skewers lightly with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and lay on the hot grill for several minutes on each side, just until you get some good grill marks and the veggies are starting to soften a bit. Don't be afraid to press down on the skewers a bit to make sure everything is coming in contact with the grill.
- Serve over rice, beans, couscous, or greens. Drizzle with the sauce.
- To make the sauce whisk together equal amounts of soy and vinegar, then add a few drops of sesame oil to taste.
- Everything has to be cut to the same size because you want it to cook and brown evenly. If your peppers are bigger than your tofu, the tofu won’t touch the grill pan when you set the skewer down, and you won’t get those wonderful grill marks.
- Add any quick cooking veggie that you want to these. Things like mushrooms, pea pods, bok choy, etc are good. Things like potatoes, carrots, beets, are not good for this, they take too long to get tender.
- You can do this under the broiler as well if you don’t have a grill pan.
Don’t forget to pin these grilled tofu skewers!
I hope you’re following along with me on Pinterest!
Visit The View from Great Island’s profile on Pinterest.